It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:40 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I started suboxone a week ago and have been experiencing these muscle twitches (jerks) that are worse than I've ever had them. The doctor and I thought they might go away after awhile but they are continuing the same. When I told the doctor about them he looked like he'd never heard of this before. Now, I've been searching the web and all sorts of people that are on suboxone are experiencing the exact same thing. A couple here and there when I'm awake but if I'm sleeping or trying to go to sleep my body jerks all over constantly. It's freaking me out. I've had these before when I was on oxy and vicodin but never this bad or this often. When I went to inpatient treatment, 2 months ago for 17 days, it quit as soon as the opiates were out of my system. I don't recall one twitch or jerk the whole 37 days I was sober. I would really like to know really how many other people are experiencing this and why is it happening.

A little history on my situation...I've been using pain killers for over 3 years now. Started first with vicodin then went strictly to oxy as of late. I went to detox and treatment in April and stayed in treatment 17 days. When I got out I was feeling wonderful!!! I was attending AA and NA every day. I relapsed and hid it from everyone. I found this wonderful job two weeks ago and kept up on the oxy as long as I had money. Then I couldn't let myself get sick and ruin this new job so I talked to my doctor and he referred me to a doctor who works with suboxone. I had tried a couple suboxone before that I purchased off the street for withdrawl. My dealer wasn't selling oxy anymore so I used two suboxone pills, cutting them up so I had larger peices at first. They did help for the horrible come down from continues use of oxy. So I was willing to try them from the doctor. He has me on 8mg once a day. I do believe I get a high from them. Not like oxy or vicodin but a small high. I'm having some nasty side affects, sweating, anxiety, irritable, insomnia and muscle jerking. If you've had any experience with the muscle jerking and/or has some advice please share.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:58 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi gummybear and welcome. I've heard about those "body zaps" from a couple of people but I have no idea what they are or why they could be related to opiates. Assuming they are, it would sort of make sense that they would be worse on suboxone, considering how strong it is.

As for that little high you're experiencing, that's pretty normal in the first week or so of treatment and it should pass. I don't know how much you were taking in active addiction, so it's hard to say if your sub dosage is right for you, but it could be high which could be causing the side effects. Most people have found that any side effects they had subsided as they lowered their dose. You want to find the lowest dose necessary that addresses both the withdrawals and your cravings.

Anxiety can happen too, as when we were taking opiates they numbed our emotions and now they're right there in our faces leaving us to deal with them on our own. Now of course I have no idea if this applies to you or not, but it does apply to many of us. The irritability could be related to this as well.

Hopefully someone who has had those body zaps will see this and chime in with their experience. It was only a couple of people who experienced it though. The sweating is a pretty common side effect and again, lowering your dose might help. What time of day do you dose? If it's late afternoon or evening and you're experiencing insomnia, you might want to try dosing earlier in the day.

Feel better soon. I hope you can get the side effects under control soon.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:22 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I mean the only thing I can think of would be RLs Restless Leg Syndrome which happens from opiate withdrawal for some people. I myself get them really bad while in withdrawal and even on meds like Sub or methadone I still get them from time to time. The only reason I can think you would have these twitches now is either you Sub dose is way too low your body is having muscle spasms from all the change that is going on but I mean your Dr should have some type of answers for you or make a App with your normal health care Dr and talk to him and see what he says. I mean you said you read on the internet that other people are having the exact something happening to them do they have any answers as what is going on from there case of this?

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:23 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I do agree that my doctor should have some sort of answer and if not he should look into it. Maybe he could ask other sub doctors. I don't think it's restless leg syndrome. I had that before, in detox. Also, it's the muscles in all parts of my body...hands, fingers, arms,legs, chest and so on... I appreciate you trying to help though. In active addiction I was taking 80mg to 160mg of oxy per day. In the last month it was 60mg to 80 mg per day. I'm not sure how high that is in comparison to the highest of amount per day.

I also want to know what your take is on the amount of time I should be on suboxone. I would think that the longer your on it the harder it is to get off it? I was actively using for over 3 years and the most I took was 160mg a day with like 50mg of vicodin. I was scared to go to sleep that night in fear I wouldn't wake up ever again!!! I want this out of my life so badly!! I could kick myself in the ass for relapsing. I felt wonderful sober!!! I told my temporary sponsor and she hasn't ever abused opiates so she doesn't know what to think and admits she doesn't really understand. I have a 14 year old and a fiance' and this great new job, if I haven't screwed that up due to my everyday morning doctor visits this last week. I'm working through a temp service so they could easily get someone else so they don't have to deal with someone who has to go to the doctor daily for a week!! I'm on a 15 day script and that's only because my doctor went on vacation. I have plenty of doctor excuses and they don't know what's wrong, I don't want them to know. The doctor did write on the excuse that I was getting treated for a medical condition and have been receiving in office treatment.

Anyway, I could go on and on but I'll see if anyone else has something to say or wants to add. I love this blog. It's great to talk to people who know exactly what I'm going through!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:01 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

How long a person should be on suboxone varies from person to person. I can say this though...Studies shared with us by Dr. Junig have shown that short term treatment (less than one year), especially in persons under age 30, has an extremely high rate of relapse. I wouldn't concern myself with worrying about when to go off of it already. Take advantage of this time without cravings to get your head and life straightened out. That's the great thing about suboxone - it allows us that time while we're in remission. Also, there's no evidence that being on suboxone longer makes it harder to come off. If anyone has any studies that show that, could you share it/them with us? When it comes time to stop taking sub, think of it this way: we're not just coming off suboxone, we're coming off all the other opiates we were addicted to when we started suboxone, too

So give yourself some time. Listen to your body, and maybe you can try to reduce your dose to combat some of the side effects.

Post subject: body zaps
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:52 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey GummyBear.....welcome to the forum

I have been on sub for over 2 years and I get the same thing. Usually when I am relaxed and getting ready to fall asleep. Sometimes I would get them when on Loratabs but really noticed it on suboxone. I also get cramps in my calves and feet. This is not restless leg syndrome.

At first I was worried about this but now as time has gone on the zaps are less and less. Suboxone is very strong and when relaxed as we get on this med it causes some of us to have these zaps or zings. I personally would not worry too much about it. I know you struggle on how long you should be on this medicine and I would say if you are able to live your life without w/d or cravings then the medicine is working for you. Some of the side effets of this med include body zaps. At one time I was at 5 mg and I did not have those side effects........so as you lower your dose they can go away but if your cravings and w/d increase I would much rather have body zaps then possibly face death by relapsing on my DOC.

Actually I kinda like it........I take my blanket and wrap up in it with my cat and get goosebumps because I am falling alseep as opposed to passing out for the night. My sub doc said he never heard of it before......surprise. Stick around here and you will get the real scoop of this medication and any side effects. It's your body and you know if something is different.

Good Luck

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:45 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I've always had strong body jerks just as I fell asleep. My husband commented on this many times, and I knew what he meant because sometimes they would be strong enough to wake me up. Now that I'm on Sub I start to feel the jerks just BEFORE I fall asleep, like Jim said, when tired or very relaxed. I really don't have an answer for you medically, but I am convinced it is tied to the falling asleep process. When I first got on Sub I believe I was on too high of a dose (12mg) and I would feel like I was nodding sometimes. If this is true for you, getting ready to nod off could be the time when you have the body jerks. This is just my personal theory. I don't think you are having a neurological problem or an adverse reaction. In fact, someone else just posted about this same thing recently.
As for your dose, you were recently detoxed before your short relapse so your tolerance could have gone way down. If that's the case you might be OK on something like 4mg, but you will have to work that out with your doc. Maybe a lower dose would make you less tired/jerky.
Best of luck in your recovery.
Lilly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:32 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Well, last night the body zaps were pretty intense. My fiance' slept on the couch last night. I feel really bad about that. I'm feeling a bit week and light headed, just not myself. I also have been constipated since I'e been on sub. So if I listen to my body then it's screaming to me I'm on too high of a dosage. My doc is on vacation this week so I'm going to start taking 6mg tomorrow and see how I feel. I was not aware that suboxone is that much stronger than oxy. That seems sort of backwards to me. I appreciate all the advise and feedback I've gotten so far and look forward to getting more advice and chatting about other topics. Thanks so much everyone!!!!

And thank you for posting Lillyval! It's nice to know I'm not alone with these body zaps!!! Your experience it almost identical to mine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:39 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I forgot...My mouth has been EXTREMELY dry the last two days and especially at night. I probably drank over 20 glasses of water since yesterday morning. Is this normal? And why would I just be having this side affect now? This is starting to scare me and is very discouraging.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:01 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I definitely agree that lowering your dose might be the right thing to help reduce the side effects you're having. I'd really hate for you to have to go off it because of that. Unfortunately, some people have more side effects that others. And yes, constipation and dry mouth are both side effects of sub. Let us know how you do on the 6 mg. And I'm sorry you had some an unpleasant night. Take care.