It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:27 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

i have been on suboxone before but did not follow doctors orders. that was 2 years ago and i have continued to use both illegal and legal opiates sporadically. I have a back condition and have started to abuse opiates again over the past month. I told my psych DR. and he suggested suboxone to help with my cravings so i didnt end up with another dope habit. I was hesitant because i have only been using daily for 3 weeks and could probobaly quit on my own. my doc said it was up to me but if i would start suboxone I might be better off because it would help my cravings, and I might not end up with a habit as i said before. but i am scared that now im going to have a suboxone habit and i am scared. any feedback would be great i am on 8mg twice daily.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:40 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Welcome badthngsman,

Wow. You have more experience than I with Suboxone. I suppose the question you have to resolve about suboxone is with your doctors. Chronic pain is an amazingly hard area to deal with IMO. What may help you, is that the chances of abusing suboxone is way less than your prescription of opiate (choose one - vicodin, perc, etc.).

Are you afraid of the w/d's, the pain coming back too big, or the rush of the opiates (which over time turns out to be no rush - only using them to feel normal again - and at best that may last an hour)??

If your back pain can be controlled with suboxone, then personally I'd go for it for sure. If your back condition is never going to get better, I'd consider having your Psych talk to your back doctor and come up with a plan for pain management. There are blocks, and other things they can do if your back is chronic. I don't think those are opiate based.

If you could "just stop" I suspect you probably would have. If you have w/d's and cravings - then suboxone and help with your doc's seems a good route. I'm not a doc, or your psych Dr. - so I would rely on them. Be honest with yourself and them. If you don't take suboxone and treat the back pain - what will you do? You probably know the opiate road for yourself. Is that what you want to do, rather than work out some taper methodology with your doctors with suboxone?

Hopefully I'll share more later about Chronic Pain (it's at the core of my family life), but the chronic pain (your back) is no joke. If you are using it as your ticket to pills, then you have a problem. If you are seriously hurt - then your choices are limited. I feel your anxiety, but I think that your chances on suboxone for opiate replacement/detox is up against standard opiate treatment for pain - long term (i.e. methadone, with other med's for breakthrough pain).

Don't know if any of this rambling has helped. Seems to me that you really need to work with your doctors - determine the extend of the back pain - and if it's chronic. If you have any routes to less pain other than opiates - I would suggest you take that route. Trust your doctors for that. Self medication will lead you down a dark road - of which you have already been down.

Others here probably can help you with the 'suboxone habit' you ask about. I believe that brute honesty with yourself and your doctors about your pain levels, your dependence on opiates (and abuse of them) is your first step. If you have done all of that honestly, and your doctor thinks you need suboxone to get away from the opiates - I would make sure your back doctor knows, and that you are in sync. That's my $.02. You won't likely get hooked on suboxone from all my research. More likely you would ditch the suboxone, and go back to opiates if you don't find solutions that cause your use (back pain, or other).

This forum rocks though. It might take a little time to get feedback - but when you do, from others on sub longer than I, it will be rock solid. Welcome, and Very Best To You.

Post subject: thanx
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:58 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

thanks Dude for your input by the way it was much more than 2 cents worth although very very much appreciated. the truth is my back needs to be addressed at a deeper level i have been to a few back docs and most of the time surgery comes up and being an addict i have fear and just dont go back. i now know i must really address the issue cause it continues to worsen and long term pain management is not the answer. I plan on going to another orthopedist soon and hopefully directly addressing my back problem instead of just medicating which always seems the easiest and most fun answer. but i think u r right in the meantime i am better off on sub than percs, vics, and or heroin. I am going back to my doc on weds. for my one week follow up and i am going to have some more conversation with him about this. I was so nervous when i was at the docs last week i forgot to ask a lot of questions. in the meantime the suboxone seems to be working and although I have a bottle full of percs i have no desire, i know it wouldnt work now any way with the sub in my system. but i started the sub last weds and i had just picked up my perc script but i locked the percs up although i thought i should knock back like 20 of the percs since i was starting suboxone i did not who knows what that would have led to. anyway Thank God, I do waork a program in AA and that has always helped as well so after all that Thanks ladude

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:34 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am new to the forum ans suboxone or should I say in my case subutex. Today is day 7 for me. Personally, I would rather be on the sub which is just a partial agonist rather than a full. Then I at least have more hope for the future. I do not have chronic pain but my husband and his mom do, and as stated before. there are things like nerve blocks that may work for you. If I were you, I wouldnt even want the percs in the house, though. IMO I would stay on the sub until you figure things out. Wish I could help more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:11 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

After reading your posts BadThingsMan I wanted to respond. I am sympathetic to your pain issues, I never touched opiates til I messed up my knees. The pain,my job, my addictive nature all led to my turning into a freak in constant need for as many pills as I could find. Now, It has been over two years of being stable on Suboxone and in recovery.I am able to handle my pain, I have not relapsed, and I am happy for the first time in my life starting a new career as a addiction counselor, and taking care of myself.
Do I like still being on Suboxone? It sure doesn't bother me.I would rather be the way I am now than ever go back to the fiend I was before, it was so embarrassing. When something works, why mess it up? Now I may not be "clean" in the eyes of 12 step programs, but my life is stable and I am doing very well. The addictive lifestyle has ceased and that was the problem.
Whatever works for you, stick with it and keep moving forward. When you are used to being an addictive person, you get used to your life somehow eventually turning to hell.Accept the good and let go of the thoughts of uncertainty.Get rid of the percs and get well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:55 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have been on Suboxone for 3 years, and was on Methadone for 4 years before that, so I am quite versed in being "stuck" on Opiate Replacement Therapy (ORT).

Honestly, you have to do some soul-searching and determine for yourself if you are an addict or not. If you are, your chronic back pain most likely will lead you back into an opiate drug addiction, because it is unlikely you will go your whole life without ever taking another pain pill. And we all know that an addict can never have just one. "One is too many, and a thousand is never enough". So if this is the case, I would go the safe route and just get on Suboxone now. I was addicted to opiates for years, got clean, and then relapsed. I went back to the methadone clinic after just 2 weeks of relapse, before I was actually physically addicted because I knew I had re-awakened the dragon and it was just a matter of time before I was in hell again.

If you honestly do not feel like you are an addict, maybe wait a bit. If you were doing heroin, I would say to get on Suboxone tomorrow, because every syringe could have your epitaph written on it. But at least with prescription pain pills, the mortality rate is much lower provided you are not taking them on top of other narcotic pills such as benzos.

If you are not sure if you are an addict or not, please google "am I an addict" and choose the link to the NA website (I can't post URLs due to my post count). It is a great questionnaire, and very accurate IMO.