It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Just started scared
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:08 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Just started suboxone today 8-2mg film 2 times a day. Maybe a stupid question is that a low dose. I had a friend tell me to cut it in half the first day and take it to see how it feels. Then take the full dose the second day. I have been addicted to drugs for 25 years and opiates the last 6 years. Trying hard to finally take a big step. I have a good job and can't function without opiates. The withdrawal is always so hard for me and I give in. This time I hope with suboxone and support I can finally stop being a slave to my addiction. My question is should I cut the film in half or take the full dose prescribed by my doctor.

Post subject: Re: Just started scared
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:09 am 

Hey Joe, ....DONT BE SCARED , your new life is about to begin.
congratulations on doing something about your addiction.
Been a loug road has t it.
We all have been there man.
Weclome to the best forum on everything Suboxone.

Ok, dr saysc16 mgs. Is itva low dose,?, no its not but it really depends on what kind of opiate habit you have/had.
Even then 16 is in most cases about as much as anyone would.

Im not a dr, but have seen at my clinic an here at Suboxforum, addicts doing well at lower doses. Maybe start out with less and see how you feel.

How much opiate were up to when you went for help?..

A little more info could help. A d im sure more folks will come aloug and put in there 2cents. Theres alot of experience here Joe..

Glad your here man.....razor...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:28 am 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Heya Joe! nothing to be scared of my friend! Welcome to the forum! I was a HEAVY opiate user and started on Suboxone 42 days ago, and have been loving my new life! Raz is pretty dead on usually with his suboxone comments so you have a good guy backing you up! Like I said I used a ton of opiates a day and I'm on 10 mgs a day but have been only needing 8mgs. Some days my addict brain kicks (which I'm working on) in and I do more but I don't need too. Watch some youtube videos on Dr. Junig. Especially the "Ceiling effect" one. that really help me on trying to take more to get a "high" feeling. You are on the right track man! You got this!

The less you start on the easier it is to taper off when the time is right. I heard at 8mgs a day your receptors are blocked 92% which is pretty awesome for fighting the cravings. I haven't had cravings at all on the dose I'm on. But each person is different. If you take one film a day and get cravings, take a little more like half a film. you want to take just enough to fight the cravings and it will happen. it may take you a few days before you finally find what works for you, but you will find it.

Have a good day.

Steve.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:12 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi Joe! I just started on the 14th, so 17 days ahead of you. I have a post on here, I think I called first day and really scared, it's more of a journal for me but maybe you could read it and get an idea.

As to your dose, I think you should just do what your dr has prescribed. After a few days, if you are still concerned, then speak to your dr, my drs nurse answers questions maybe yours will too. I say this not because I know a whole lot, but I bet your dr does and that's the dose he wants you at. And I feel so good and I bet you will too in about a week or two that you will understand what I mean about listening to your dr.

Whatever you choose to do, good luck and congrats on reaching out, I know that's hard. CC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:49 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for the replies and support everyone. I sweated out 24 hours and felt like utter shit. Puked my guts out, went to work started getting cold spells felt worse and worse. Tuffed it out for the 24 though first time I did that in 2 and a half years. I had half the day to go with work didn't think I would make it. I decided to cut the film in half because I didn't know what would happen and I was at work. Nothing happened of course at first and I thought I made a huge mistake. About 45 min later I noticed I felt A LOT better. Made it through the day feeling good. Took half again 10 hours later. Couldn't sleep. Took half before work. I felt like shit most of the day and sweated like crazy. I think I will take full dose in morning. Do you guys think that would be right and not make me feel like shit all day. I appreciate all the responses. When I went for help the other day I had been taking 6-10 vicodin, lortab, norco, percs a day. Whatever I could get I would take. I was a heavy cocaine user for 12 years before pills. Starting using pills 6 years ago. EVERYDAY. Smoked Cracker in my early 20's. Lots of LSD and been smoking weed for 25 years. Dabbled in herion in my 20s. I played in lots of bands and lived that life to the fullest. Still a rocker but now just wanna be clean.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:54 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Crack not cracker. That reminds me of whippets. That too.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:32 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey Joe I started on Monday and am glad I didn't plan anything for the week. I just lay around sometimes feel ok sometimes not. Started on same dose as you I still feel loopy for awhile after I take it. Yesterday I tried cutting one in half at 12 pm but felt crappy at 4 pm. Gonna keep experimenting.
I have been on opiates so long I'm not sure how to feel. I honestly don't know pre- opiate days and unti induction hadn't gone more than 12 hrs without opiates. I also have ale adderall for last 7 yrs so I'm thinking taking adderall 2x day could he part of issue I don't feel awful,but I don't feel great either. I'm gonna hang in and let my body adjust ALL I CAN DO. HANG IN

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:21 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hang in there man. It's good too for me to hop on here and talk I think it helps. Your right about feeling like crap with taking the half dose that's what I was wondering about if I took the whole thing would I feel good like the first dose. I thought maybe the first half dose made me feel better because I didn't take anything for 24 hours but then after taking a few half doses I just feel blah. So I am going to take the full dose in the morning. Just worried about it making me sick or loopy too. It's weird I think to myself I could take a handful of pills or before snort an 8 ball and not think twice. But taking something prescribed I'm freaked out.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 10:19 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Yep. Amazing how messed up our brain have become Anything better than WD

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 12:05 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

On 3 rd week of subs and honestly I I think I've stabilized Take 8mg at 6am and the other at 6 pm. It seem to be the ticket the last few years I had to get up at 3 to get a Oc pill. That's nice.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 2:14 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Make sure you are thoroughly absorbing your dosage, the only reason sub is rx'd in doses above 4mgs is because of its poor absorbtion rate, if it was given intravenous they wouldn't give more than 2-4mgs to anyone. Following the advice of the pamphlet to just toss it in there for 10 minutes and then spit/swallow is gonna leave most people feeling crappy well before your next dose. Help it dissolve by pushing it around with your tongue and then once its in liquid form IMO its best to hold it under your tongue without swallowing for 30 minutes, at least 20 if you can't wait that long. Using mouthwash with a high alcohol percentage before dosing helps as well. The makers of sub want you to have poor absorbtion that way you end up needing to take extra pills to make up for the amount you wasted by following their half assed dosing advice. If you really want to make the most of your dose do the liquid dosing method with an oral syringe found at any pharmacy ( i live by this method), just dissolve your dose into the appropriate amount of water and then you can strategically squirt it under your tongue all over the increase the surface area and since its already pre dissolved it will start absorbing immediately.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 2:50 pm 

Good post, Bupe! Helpful stuff! :) I think I may try the listerine method and see if I can cut my dose.

Amy

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 10:19 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Thanks Amy, it seems to work the best if you swish with mouthwash and then spit it out and then dosing right after without rinsing your mouth out with water. Does anyone with the strips have any experience with sticking them to the side of their cheek or sticking it up between your cheek and the top of your gums? I tried it once or twice when I had the suboxone strips but never perfected it but with the subutex tablets im on now you can't really do anything like that. I thought I read Dr. Junig said that they are in the process of making a formulation that sticks to your cheek like that but I can't remember, just seems like it would work way better like that since its elevated above the dreaded saliva tsunami that happens the normal way.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 7:24 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

when I got the films,I used to put them between my gum and cheek instead of under my tongue, you're right, there was always way too much saliva! I remember hearing Dr. J. saying something about a form of bupe that would stick to the inside of your cheek, that sounds like it would work very well! definitely hope that comes to be!

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 10:37 pm 

Hey Bupe an Lizz,
There is a phar drug company that should be getting approval this summer of the Buprenorphine product you are talking about.
If you would google Bema, you will find the information your lookin for.

This is a generic med and they have a patented system where the bupe dose does indeed placed on the cheek inside the mouth. Absorption is maximize.

Hope this helps...

raz

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 12:05 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

thanks Raz, I'm going right over there to check it out! brb ;-)

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 6:34 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi Joe,
I was wondering how you are feeling now? If you stablaised ok? I started my 8mg once a day dose a week ago and I am still disoreiented, get confused easily (or maybe I am just noticing it more because I am not high?) and I get scared driving because of disorientation. I took a day off work because as someone said above - I was quite happy to go to work on at least 60mg of oxy and then take more when I got home from work - but now that I am on MEDICATION I am more scared of being noticed as being high or out of it - which is still how I feel after a week.
Livestrong,
you said it took 3 weeks to stabalise - I have a fairly full workload where I need to talk to so many different people including counsellors, and people who suffer from D&A problems themselves and I really do not want my professionalism come into question by anyone thinking that I am high - would you suggest taking time off?
Also because I'm an ozzie; I need to do daily pick ups for a few weeks before I can get pick ups that will last me a week so the time off work may help.
What would you both suggest - I really hope you are still hanging in there joe and that you have found the equilibrium that you needed (ps: the first few nights I couldn't sleep either - I think its detox from opiates still).
Manda

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 12:26 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Its so odd how bupe is treated in different countries where you have to do daily pick ups yet its not like that over here in the US, it seems backwards I would think the US would be the ones with the tighter regulations. In our country it seems the only reason people go on sub instead of methadone is because of that very reason that you can take it via a monthly Rx and not have to do daily visits, I can say pretty confidently that if I would of had to do daily pick ups for sub I would of gone back on methadone (thank god I didn't, if you want to string a habit along and stay high then yeah I guess methadone is the one for you but i terms of actually trying to get "clean" and make something of your life buprenorphine is superior in every way). Im always worried that one day sub will be changed to everyday pick ups over here because of all the idiots who divert it and ruin for the compliant patients.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 3:28 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Buprecision said, "Im always worried that one day sub will be changed to everyday pick ups over here because of all the idiots who divert it and ruin for the compliant patients."

I always wonder if people who take pains pills properly say the same thing about us folks that abused the shit out of pain pills, diverted them, stole them. I'm guessing it doesn't matter to them that we're addicts with a brain disorder, I guess to them we're just idiots.

I don't think the people who are diverting Suboxone are any more idiotic than those of us who diverted pain meds, we're sick....not idiots.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 10:27 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I never diverted a pain pill in my life and I also never have been prescribed a pain pill from a doctor in my life either (aside from subutex) and Im also prescribed generic subutex and have been for years and Ive been hounded by people asking to buy them for as much as 20$ a pill and every single time Ive said no. You know how much I could use that money? I scrape by pretty much using every extra red cent that I have after living expenses to pay for my sub treatment and I could easily get rid of a few pills each month and it would end up covering all my costs and make it much easier on me.

You know why I don't do that? Because I have empathy and don't wanna be responsible for fucking up some other poor bastards life by getting them strung out on pills and also for the fact that if the wrong naive person gets ahold of one and maybe tosses down a couple beers not knowing the consequences they could overdose and die all because I wanted to make a few bucks. So with all that said sorry if it struck a nerve but I don't feel bad in the slightest calling the people who sell sub idiots.

Someone who gives a sub to a withdrawaling addict (give not sell) is about the only form of diversion that isn't deplorable and even that is wrong. Its easy for you to not get heated about diversion because you aren't on sub anymore but if you were I doubt you'd like to hear about all the hate sub is getting and how its probably gonna be harder and harder to get Rx'd in the future if this type of crap keeps up.