It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:51 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

hey guys, im new to this board but not to suboxone as i used to use it illicitly back when i was using oxy, i would sniff suboxone when i couldnt get any oxy or dillys or whatever, but either way i have a few questions.

my doc started me off on 3 8mg tablets (24mg per day) of suboxone, 50mg of zoloft, 10mg of ambien for bedtime, and 4mg of alprazolam daily.

over the next 100 days he will decrease my doseage untill i am opiate free.

has anyone had any experience with an extended taper like this? its not like a 5 day quick detox nor is it a maintenance program.

also, when i was sniffing the suboxone illegally back in the day i became quite addicted to it and was dope sick when i tried to quit, im assuming my doctor will taper me down slowly enough where the withdrawals should be minimal if any at all but does anyone have any input on that? taking 24mg a day for a month, then 16mg a day for a month, then 8 for a month. thats the plan, does that sound about right? im worried that he may just try to stop me at 8mg, and i fear that being cut off from 8mg daily will throw me into a month long sub withdrawal.

so yea anyone with any experience or input on this situation speak up, it would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:31 pm 
Welcome to the forum Reeferz. It's good to hear that you're getting help for your addiction. You will find lots of help and support here from us! I've been on Suboxone for a little over six months now and am down to 2-3mg/day now with plans to continue a very slow taper and hopefully be done at the one year mark. I have an understanding doctor who has no problem with long term maintenance and if I have problems or feel I'm risking relapse, I can stay on Sub indefinitely. You will find varying opinions on this forum and pretty much everywhere else about the issue of how long to stay on. It's a tough decision and a personal decision as what to do in that regard.
You'll find plenty of stories about stopping Suboxone here too. Most of what you will find will have a common thread - slow, long tapers with cessation at very low doses (less than 0.5 mg/day) can be relatively easy and painless, while more rapid tapers and stopping at higher doses most often lead to reports of more severe withdrawals (similar to stopping full agonist opiates) which last up to 6 weeks. That being the case, I sincerely hope your doctor plans to bring your dose down to around 8mg/day rather quickly and spend the majority of your 100 days tapering at the lower doses.
Most people (everyone is different though) find that once they've stabilized at 8-16mg per day, they're able to drop down to around 2-4mg/day without much trouble at all. It's when you hit those lower doses that it gets more difficult sometimes.
As far as the other meds you're doctor has started you on.....personally, I would take the Xanax and the Ambien as sparingly as possible. Both of those meds can be "habit forming" and I don't really see why they would be necessary much until you're way further into your taper. That is, of course, assuming that you don't have an underlying issue with anxiety or sleep disorders that need to be treated regardless of your opiate addiction. From what I understand those meds will do you a lot more good when you're getting close to the end or have finished your taper. But your doctor IS your doctor and I am not. These are just my thoughts/opinions.
I also hope that you are getting help for your addiction from avenues other than Suboxone. In light of the fact that you actually have abused this medication in the past, you know as well as anyone that this medication alone is not the answer to your addiction. You're going to need a lot of education and support and a lot of behavior modification if you want a chance at long term sobriety. We all have to be aware that opiate addiction will be a life-long battle and a few months of orange pills is not going to change that! I wish you all the luck in the world and I would encourage you to put everything you've got into this. If things are going well for you as you proceed with Suboxone over the next couple of months and it looks like you need more than the 100 days on it to gain more ground in recovery, please look for a new doctor who will let you stay on it longer. Again, your doctor's the doctor and I'm just me.....but I've got a real problem with a "one size fits all" approach to this. I feel that everyone is different and everyone's treatment plan for addiction should be structured to fit that individual's needs.
Take good care and keep posting with how you're doing!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:23 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

that sounds like an odd taper to me, 8 mg immediate jumps? Perhaps that's approximate. The time frame sounds reasonable from 24mg to 0 over 100 days. Just seems like you would make smaller decrements at something like a week at a time. Perhaps:
Week 1: 16mg
Week 2: 14mg
Week 3: 12mg
week 4: 8mg
Week 5: 7mg
Week 6: 6mg
Week 7: 5mg
Week 8: 4mg
Week 9: 3mg
Week 10: 2mg
Week 11: 1mg
Week 12: .5mg
Week 13: .25mg
Week 14: .25mg every 2 days
That's about 100 days. That said, I have no experience yet. But everything I've read says you don't jump off at 8mg, no way. It looks like people who do the best do 2mg to 0mg very slowly and over the longest period of time of any portion of the taper.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:06 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

yea i was thinking about asking him after the 100 day mark what happens, because going CT from 8mg a day after being on it for 3 months cannot be a comfortable experience. ill ask him about the 2mg tablets and see if we cant get down to 2, then 1, then .5 and so on and so forth.

the reason im leaning towards a longer term program is because when i cut my drugs cold turkey i go whack in the brain. im all over the place emotionally, i cant focus, im crying one second and im ecstatic the next, its like bipolar schizhophrenia mixed with some acid haha. well not that bad but yall know what i mean.

im hoping that by slowly using a partial agonist and my anxiety meds (which i do have anxiety btw) i can normalize while i reduce dependance on outside chemicals and allow my brain to produce its own chemicals naturally and keep me in homeostasis lol. all while re learning how to live and re learning behaviors and all that.

its really hard to change all your addict behaviors and thought processes when your fresh off the dope and your mind is all over the place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:40 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Well Reeferz,
I have some experience with tapering off subs. I was on suboxone for about a year when I decided to go off of them and I only did a 2 week taper. i jumped from 4 mg cold turkey and I have to say the withdrawals from 4mg to nothing was nothing compared to oxy or heroin cold turkey. I am currently back on suboxone, I decided that I need this medication long term and have been on it for a little over 2 years now. I relapsed after having a few months clean.Right now I really need this medication. When or if I decide to get off of it again, I know for myself it's really not that bad. I hear alot of hype about how bad the withdrawals are and how much worse it is to get off suboxone and for me it just wasn't the case.And By the way I was on 32 mg a day.
I wish you all the best with this transition and I think you will be fine. Keep us posted on how you do, It really gives me insight on how each and every one of us are very different.

Post subject: NEW AS WELL
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:06 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I am starting treatment Sat. I have been addicted to morphine 500mg/daily for a year and a half. Want this to work cause the withdrawls are terrible. what can i expect

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:01 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Welcome bbellen..

Can you start a new post in the induction section - about yourself, and details about your appointment, if you are in withdrawls, etc.?

That way we can keep these 2 threads separate -and you'll get specific feedback on your questions! Welcome!