It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: just some thoughts
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:36 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I think the main reason people don't like suboxone is that they were told by their doctor that getting off of it should have minimal withdrawals. Then when they did jump at say 2mg, they went through two weeks of feeling really crappy.

Personally I understand there are some really hardcore addicts that are older and plan on staying on suboxone indefinitely. For me though, its no way to live. When your off suboxone, everything seems more clear and real. Music sounds better, food tastes better, lovemaking is much better, its hard to describe. I feel the option to permanently stay on subs should only be granted to the most hardcore of addicts that pretty much have tried absolutely everything else to stay clean and just couldn't.

Just some thoughts about subs, they definitely do wonders to treat opiate addiction, although I do question getting on them to get off a vicodin habit or something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:42 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Thanks for your opinion. From what I understand, your chances of success are much better if you stay on at least for a year or two. You can of course lower your dose in that time and adjust it as needed (with the help of your doctor). Jumping off of 2 milligrams seems very high, I personally would not do it considering we can get our doses much lower before "jumping off".

Honestly, everybody is different. Its up to them and their doctor to make that decision. I plan on tapering off at some point and am in the process of doing so slowly. However, if things do not work out and I have to stay on it long term than so be it. I personally think that many people attracted to opiates have chemical imbalances. Nothing wrong with taking medication to correct it.

Most consider it okay to stay on Anti-D's for a lifetime, I don't know what it wouldn't be okay to stay on Suboxone for the long term if needed. I know I would rather take suboxone than be chemically dependent again and all the crap that comes with it.

Last edited by stephent on Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:39 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Well my view on long term suboxone use is much different after hearing a counselor says this. I fell fucking sorry for the people on suboxone every single one is a fucking gunnies pig. And after thinking about that, it is so true they have no idea what long term suboxone use could have on the human body. Nor do they have on a lot of things because it has not been out that long but they are handing it out like MnMs. And that is very scary to think about that there are still so many unknown facts about this drug but it is used nationwide.

So solely just on the single fact of knowledge if I planned on being on a opiate dependency drug for the rest of my life I would choose methadone till a lot more test are done with suboxone. And that would be if I was walking into this fresh off addiction but after trying both I still choose methadone.

And i know ill get a bunch of shit from all the obessed suboxone people so this will be my only post in this thread.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:31 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

This is getting old. I posted about this before, buprenorphine is a semi-synthetic opioid dderived from theabine, which is a naturally occuring opiate alkaloid. It's not some new batch of chemicals a mad scientist brewed up in his garage. Buprenorphine has been around for over 30 years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:40 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Right, its been around for a few decades and was approved for use in Europe quite some time ago. Big Pharma prevented it and than but a cap on it from coming over here. The reason meds like suboxone are being given out more now is because we have evidence that it works. It takes time for things to become a standard. Suboxone is a very versatile drug. I am in no way "obsessed" with Suboxone, but I have benefited from it. I can only share my experience. I often wonder, if so much resistance to Suboxone would exist were it not for the negative view that some 12 steppers have of Suboxone. Some almost seem threatened by it. They are not doctors and can be very close minded as to "what works" and how to "become truly clean".

Frankly, I don't see why people would use anything and everything to reduce the suffering of WD and to help them get over chemical dependency. Get your life together, than start making choices and resolving issues that will effect you. When people first quite I think they should be a bit selfish and put a large focus on quitting and getting over chemical dependency. In my experience, healthy choices become more automatic over time.

bboy - I am not attacking you or making a personal statement, but wasn't that Counselor an employee of a methadone clinic? From what I understand the manufactures of Methadone (Purdue I think) was behind much of the attempts to prevent Suboxone from coming over and also the capping of clients doctors can see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:54 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I do agree with the fact that if Suboxone is here and makes getting off your doc so much easier, why wouldn't a person use it instead of suffering. It's kind of like epidurals. Why would a woman want to feel pain if science has created a way not to. I also can say if my choices were staying on suboxone for life and maybe having some adverse effect down the road or stay in active addiction and face those consequences. I would choose sub every time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:02 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I agree, this IS getting old. Bupe is NOT a new drug and is in fact a very safe medication. Funny how the person who is NOT on suboxone is the one who keeps insisting that those of us who are on it are guinea pigs. So count me in agreement with stp, stephant, and breezy_ann.

As for people staying on suboxone long term, again, that's between them and their doctor and of course their own UNIQUE needs - not some anonymous person on an internet forum to decide. It's funny how when it comes to the subject of people being angry about suboxone it always seems to come down to those people deciding what is best for the rest of the people. How is that right?

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:36 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

If someone feels they need subs to stay clean then they should stay on subs. I can't speak for anyone else, I just know for me when I'm taking suboxone, deep down I know I'm still masking underlying issues. That may not be true for everyone but myself I could never imagine having to be on a pill the rest of my life. Use it for a year, 2 years, hell even 10 years if it keeps you clean.