It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Just saying hi
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:36 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I thought I'd just say hello and tell everyone alittle bit about myself. I picked the name Adema cause it's the name of a band that sings my favorite song (giving In) I know It's pretty lame but it was the only thing I could think of. I'm married with three small children and my wife and I both work full time, which can be hard at times but I'm sure life would be alot harder if one of us didn't. Anyway I've been an opiate addict for 8 years. My wife and I weren't married at the time and we bought our house only to find out she's pregnant one month later. Being young and scared we decided to abort and that was the beginning of the end for me. Looking for an escape from my reality I was offered a vidicon from a friend and you know the rest!!! The really sad thing is I was so young and clueless I really had NO IDEA just how addicting these medications could be. I actually remember telling one of my friends how I was taking methadone and I couldnt get addicted to it cause it was basically an antidote for drug addicts! So fastfoward 7 years later I finally decided to get some help. Until now I've never told anyone this story and my wife and family still don't know about my past drug use and my current sub treatment. It breaks my heart still living a lie but I'm afraid of losing everything and everyone I love I'm sure there will be alot of people that will say I need to tell her and I'm gonna lose everything if and when she finds out but how do you tell someone that you've been a liar through you're entire marriage and that I'm not the person you think I am. I was a kid that got caught up in some b.s. that I didn't know anything about. I just wanna beat this thing and move on with the rest of my life and never ever look back!! I don't know what else to say and I'm sorry if I went on alittle much. I look forward to getting to know everyone better

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:21 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Wow Adema, thanks for sharing your story. You are doing the right thing by getting the help you need. What is done is done and all you can do is pick up the pieces and it sounds like you are doing that. We are human, nobody is perfect, we make mistakes. The KEY is to learn from those mistakes and move past them. Forgive yourself (I know easier said than done) and just do the best you can. One day, when you feel it is the right time, you may choose to tell your wife, until then keep doing what you can to get out from under the hell of addiction. You are on the right track. Welcome to this very supportive forum.
~Sweet16

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:33 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Adema and welcome! Yes, thanks for sharing your story. You've been through a lot and as fellow addicts, we understand. Most of us have been there. No matter how unique we are as individuals, when it comes to addiction, well, we just seem to have so much in common.

When it comes time to tell your wife, I know it will be difficult, but you can make it through it. You'll be able to tell her that you've addressed the problem - or started to address it - with suboxone treatment. You can further work through it WITH her, by attending perhaps marriage counseling - that really helped my husband and I. But my point is you and she can get through it together. When you're ready.

Again, welcome and I hope you stick around and keep posting.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:48 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Welcome Adema. Great to have you aboard.

It's your decision if and when you choose to tell your wife. Everyone on this board will be here to support you regardless of which path you take.

Living any deception is kinda like addiction. The longer we carry on doing it, the deeper we dig that hole, and the more daunting it feels to climb out. But you know that we gotta climb out of that hole at some stage if we wanna live & recover.

Stick around.

tj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:26 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for the welcome guys I really appreciate it!! It does feel good to finally get that out!!