It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:12 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi,

I've been lurking for a while and finally decided to register. I just wanted to say howdy to all here. :)

Lots of good information here. I hope I can give a little back. Sorry if this is in the wrong board, I'm still a little new to this.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 9:37 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I' new to the site too. Hello to all. Been off Sub 1year today !!!!

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:01 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi, I'm new here too. Congrats! How are you doing?

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 2:32 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey Zep830 (I like your handle) and JoeyJam, thanks for joining todays newcomers with me.

FYI: I'm a chronic pain patient (progressive demylinating peripheral neuropathy) and have been off and on opiates since 1996.

Z asked how I was doing, thanks. I have to admit it has been difficult, but with my spouses support and daily AA or NA meetings and a very patient sponsor, i've made it ONE YEAR OFF OPIATES, to go with my 23 years without a drink.

Please read here: SUBOX WAS A NIGHTMARE !!!!!!!! The withdrawal from 1mg to zed lasted 8 days !!!!! Started at 24mgs and went down 2-4mg every 4-5 days, on 1mg for 4 days then he stopped me. Off Subox in 40 days. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: drug, Whew!!!

Had a long, 6 month, post opiate withdrawal syndrome that was hard on my marriage (God Bless my spouse, A is a saint), hard for my AA sponsor of 20 years, hard on my new NA sponsor, hard on my family, even hard on the dogs.

BUT it's all in the past and never to return again, a day at a time.

Thanks to all who take the time to read my ramblings, and a special thanks to those who take time to make a comment.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 6:04 pm 

Hi New People!

It's great to have you here at the forum! As you might be able to tell, we run the gamut here from people who are newly on suboxone, to lifers who predict being on sub forever, to people who are trying to taper off sub, and people who have been off sub for a while. And everything in between! For some of us, sub has been a miracle, some have a hard time on sub, and there are folks in between the extremes.

Pete S., it's too bad that your taper had to happen in such a short time! That must have been rough. There are quite a number of folks here who tapered very slowly with very little problem, but not everyone can do it that way. It sounds like you've got a great support system and work on your recovery, so I hope you can stay off opiates forever!

Amy

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 11:22 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks Pete, my cats name is actually Zeppelin. He was staring at me when I was tring to think of something lol! So sorry to hear your taper was so rough. I can't imagine trying to taper that fast. The support system you have seems great though! So nice to hear from someone who's been there and came out strong.
I've been trying the sloooow taper method (and having a rough time with that). I've been trying to skip days at this point but have never made it through the third day. It's night two if you have any advice I could use it.

Hi Amy- I am starting to see how many different people and different ways there really is by reading through posts. I'm not even sure how but, I stumbled upon the forum the other night and started reading through. For the first time in years didnt feel so isolated and alone.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 1:56 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Welcome to SuboxForum! I think you'll find that it holds a wealth of information. Just curious, any relation to Jimmy Jam?

540 Greenhaven Road #201|Anoka, MN 55303
(763)250.0702
http://www.facebook.com/TpnServiceCompanies
Person-centered counseling, education, advocacy, referral services and assessments.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 3:44 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Z, do you have a taper schedule? Somehow, making a schedule on a monthly calendar helped me. I could see where I was, what progress I had made, where I was going, and most importantly when I would be finished. I actually printed it out and hung it on the fridge, that way my spouse A.... could see where I was and get an idea of what level detox I would be in that day. Since i have gone off meds 3 times, knowing my "predictable" mood helped everyone, as in don't ask me to trim the hedges or wash the cars on "drop down days' as they are called in my house.

What is your taper plan? When you r planning it, remember Subox is very long acting. Sort of like methadones extended half life, Subox takes a full 7-10 days to clear your system and end the detox feelings. When I was stopped at 1mg the symptoms started on day 1, reached a crescendo at day 3/4, and it was a full 8 days before i stopped experiencing symptoms. Just a thought when you and your doctor plan your taper.

Interesting that you are skipping days, how does that work for you?

Back to do I have any advice? Where r you in recovery meetings? My advice hmmm... Just the recovery "rules...stay away from places u used to use, or score, or even fill an Rx. For short and long term success i cannot stress how important meetings r to me. Don't know your support meeting experience is, but when you go, don't just sit in the corner raise your hand every day and let folks know where you r in your detox. You'll be surprised at how supporting folks can b, and hoes supportive they'll be when you r off meds. In AA there r a lot of old-timers and book thumpers, they/we may look intimidating, but theres a lot of experience and wisdom there, so make a special effort to talk to them. I had been sober for years before i had to start pain meds and talking about it with my sponsor, and others helped me not over use them.

Not in the program materials, but for me it was really important to have some support outside of the friends/family, such as sponsors and recovery support/friends that are stand alone so to speak. Never know whats going to come up, may need to bitch about our family or mate, and you need to be able to say anything and everything to get it out, spoken, looked at, and put to rest. A... and I have been together since the 80s and we really communicate great, but we make an effort to go to separate meetings and have sponsors that don't know each other. Then we have meetings that we attend together, and those r special too. Even found a guided meditation meeting we both love.

Hope this helps. Please feel free to email or message me anytime and i'll try to respond quickly for u. I'm no recovery guru, but I have some years sober and now a year off meds and i'm big on meetings, lots and lots of meetings when i feel stressed or upset. I went to at least 1 meeting a day (unless i couldn't get out of the loo) for my first year off meds and Subox. That was a commitment i made to myself, and i'm glad i did it, as i'm rolling into year 2 off opiates. :D

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 10:56 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Z,

My sponsor was not happy with my answer, too wordy and too much. I agree, early on its all about getting clean, here are a couple thoughts.

1) Drink lots of water. Sounds dumb, but think of it this way. You are asking your body to clean itself, and what better way than to flush the system. How to know if it's enough? If your urine has any color or smell, you need to drink more. Got this from a web search but cannot remember where
2) Take multi vitamin and extra Vit B. Gotta make sure the system has everything it needs, and B is supposed to help with depression.
3) Ginger tea. Great stuff for a stomach that is dealing with the changes. Not only helpful for stomach, I find it relaxing too.
4) Eat healthy. Not a time to make any other life changes, but since you are cleansing your system, and asking it to reboot, why not stop those unhealthy snacks. If it has preservatives, refined sugar or fructose sweetener it belongs on the store shelves, not in your mouth.

Hope that helps. Pete

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 9:08 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I do try to keep track on my calendar in my phone so I can see that I am making progress. As to meetings I've never actually went to one. Family, kids (9 and 11) and, significant other they all don't know so I am usually trying to go through symptoms without anyone noticing. My bf does know that I was addicted to pills really bad a long time ago but not that I'm still tapering off subs. Same for my mom but that's a little different. My father was addicted to pills and then heroin before he passed away so it was never something I wanted to put her through again even though we are really close. So I guess it's just me trying to push through and keep myself motivated without giving up?
I take a multi vit daily and try to take an emergen-c when I need the extra boost. I'll have to try the tea for my stomach I haven't tried that yet. I try to eat healthy but I know waters an issue for me. I really need to drink more water and a lot less coffee lol!

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 10:24 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Not that any of that is good or the way it should be though. Probably the reason I always feel so alone and why I always give in. Finding someone to talk with about it all on here has been really helpful though. When it comes to skipping days that was my drs idea. I swear no matter how many times I try to do it though it never gets any easier which it turn makes it even harder to conceive jumping all together? How did you do it so fast?

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 11:24 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

:) Nice to hear from you. I, and probably everyone here, knows how hard ditching opiates is. I cannot imagine how hard it is to do it solo, but i'd be happy to communicate with, and glad to hear that this web site is helpful.

I didn't have a choice on stopping Subox in 40 days. My primary md sent me to the pain management guy to stop pain meds at my request. Both said with my support system and experience stopping meds before it could be done in 30 days worth a lot less difficulty than just tapering off Morphine. That was way wrong. I would not recommend rapid withdrawal from Subox, it was really difficult and hard on my body, and everyone else in my contact list. In your situation, trying to do it alone, it would not be possible. I was basically in bed or the bathroom floor 3 out of 7 days, had major dehydration (confusion, disoriented, and dizziness, and trips to the ER for help) and now i visit the web site and find out doing it much slower was much better. None of my md's told me that. That's a big duhhhhhh for all three of us.

Enough about me, when do you see your doc again?
How often do you see him?
What is his specialty?
Does he have experience with Sub?
Have you 2 made a detox schedule?

Sounds like you have a big family and i get why you don't want them to know. Sorry you lost your father, that's a tough one. My father died at 87 from an infection he got in the hospital. I've since discovered that MRSA (methacilline resistant staph arious) is a very common thing to get in hospitals, and very resistant to meds.

Do you have any support?

I would be happy to help in supporting you, it's nice to have someone you can bounce off your mental stuff and even physical symptoms. I have an email account that i only use for recovery stuff, nobody knows it and its my little private domain. Its listed on every email i send, its 999.Ca@rr.com. You and anyone else is welcome to use it, to vent, to ask ?'s, ext. I finds it helpful to write my stuff out, and i don't even send it sometimes because i feel so much better after writing it and reading it over myself.

Gotta go, i'll try to finish later, but my dogs are whining to go to the park, as we do every day at 8am. Talk about creatures of habit.

Keep drinking water, it really makes a difference.

PeteS

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 6:43 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi all, I'm new too and never even joined a chatting room type thing before, but getting onto suboxone has been a big decision for me and have found a lot of great information on this site.

I do have a question, I posted it on the chat thing - but don't know how to use these forum things (IT challenged). I started suboxone 4 nights ago at 4mg, the next night went to 8 mg, then next was 10 and today 10 also. I am not sure if it is too strong or if what I am experiencing is normal - I am sleeping much less (do have more energy) but when I take my dose I feel like I am back on the nod again like when I would take too much oxy. Im slightly disoriented also and feel high. I have been abusing opiates for 3ish years (got up to 125mg of oxy a day) and have been addicted to benzos for 8 years. How will I know if I am taking too much suboxone?

I do feel good, I could say I seem normal but I don't know what normal is! I don't think the high was meant to be part of the idea behind suboxone. Can anyone at all help me? I don't even know if this will post or not. Is what I am going through normal? How was other's first few weeks on sub?

Superconfused... :?