It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Just quit subs
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:54 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Wanted to reach out to the community and say that I have finally rid myself of this demon. It was definitely instrumental in getting off opiates, however, had I known what coming off subs was like and what they do to you I never would have touched them.

I took 8mg for approximately 5 years and tried to quit on my own usually at 2mg and would go out of my mind. I finally did research and realized tapering was the key. I went down pretty quick to 4mg and then tapered down 1mg every 4 days til I hit 2mg, I stayed at 2mg for 5 days, 1mg for 5 days, and .5mg for 6 days and jumped. I was warned it would be a rough ride tapering this fast, but I thought how much worse could it be than trying to jump from 2mg. I’m not going to lie and say it was easy, but it wasn’t near as bad as trying to quit from 2mg. Days 3 & 4 were by far my worst days mentally. I used a wide variety of supplements and had prescriptions for chlonodine, seroquil, and muscle relaxer, which all seems to really help.

I’m currently on day 14 of being free and I’m still having sneezing fits, light chills, and diarrhea. I feel mentally strong now and feel like I’m coming back to my old self. I worked out during the taper with some weight lifting and taking long walks to keep my body active and tried to keep up that routine every day except days 3 & 4.

I guess I want to let people know it can be done, just be disciplined and set your mind to it. My heart goes out to anyone trying to get off of this stuff and is having trouble, but you can do it!!

Post subject: Re: Just quit subs
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:05 am 

Mmmmk well hopefully u are here to just share ur story. Calling the medication a 'demon' isn't the way to gain a lot of respect here but..... maybe u didn't realize this is a PRO buprenorphine forum. We welcome everyone and realize everyone's journey is different so it's not that ur post made me cringe, it was the bashing word. Leave that stuff out and everything will go great mmmmk? After all, u wouldn't go to a pacemaker forum where ppl attribute that to help saving their life and talk about how it's a demon..... right? People may not be so receptive to it.

Tapering is key, as u know now, to stopping buprenorphine. It's also key to go pretty slow over a course of time. Some ppl taper over a year or more time, so cutting bk every 4 days wasn't exactly an easy way by no means. I know not everyone has the luxury of a long taper like that, all kinds of things can be the reason for that, but if at all possible it's surly recommended to do a longer slower taper if u can. It makes all the difference in the world. Did ur doctor talk to u about tapering? Were u under a doctor's care during ur treatment? Sorry for so many questions but u didn't mention any of that and I'd like to understand u better.

Hopefully since being off everything for 14 days is the beginning of a beautiful journey and happiness for u. Do u have any recovery type plans to stay on the right path? Counseling or types of meetings?

Great job on how far u have came so far!! Good luck!!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:27 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Congrats on stopping but the way you did it was wrong. That's why you have a negative opinion about it. Had you come here and read through this section you would have found numerous members who tapered very slowly and had very little withdrawal problems like you had.

Too little too late. Now you're off so stay off. I'm staying on it until I'm ready to quit. Been on them for 7 years and take only 1 mg. If and when I decide to stop then this site has all the information on how to do w/o much trouble.

Is this the first time you found this forum? Most Suboxone users have known about this place for awhile before they jumped.

Good luck going forward. Please, no more negative remarks. We don't much care to be lectured to.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:53 pm 

subsarebadmmmK wrote:
Wanted to reach out to the community and say that I have finally rid myself of this demon. It was definitely instrumental in getting off opiates, however, had I known what coming off subs was like and what they do to you I never would have touched them.

I took 8mg for approximately 5 years and tried to quit on my own usually at 2mg and would go out of my mind. I finally did research and realized tapering was the key. I went down pretty quick to 4mg and then tapered down 1mg every 4 days til I hit 2mg, I stayed at 2mg for 5 days, 1mg for 5 days, and .5mg for 6 days and jumped. I was warned it would be a rough ride tapering this fast, but I thought how much worse could it be than trying to jump from 2mg. I’m not going to lie and say it was easy, but it wasn’t near as bad as trying to quit from 2mg. Days 3 & 4 were by far my worst days mentally. I used a wide variety of supplements and had prescriptions for chlonodine, seroquil, and muscle relaxer, which all seems to really help.

I’m currently on day 14 of being free and I’m still having sneezing fits, light chills, and diarrhea. I feel mentally strong now and feel like I’m coming back to my old self. I worked out during the taper with some weight lifting and taking long walks to keep my body active and tried to keep up that routine every day except days 3 & 4.

I guess I want to let people know it can be done, just be disciplined and set your mind to it. My heart goes out to anyone trying to get off of this stuff and is having trouble, but you can do it!!

Your post contradicts itself in a few places and I'm just wondering if you noticed that. And while I appreciate the South Park reference and play on words, the terms you use to describe suboxone are really too harsh for this pro-buprenorphine forum. So please dial it back.

I want to give you an idea of what I mean when I talk about contradictions. You admit that subs were instrumental in your ability to quit your drug of choice, and yet the negativity of the rest of the post doesn't reflect any gratitude.

You say that you never would have touched suboxone had you known what is was like, but you describe tapering off of it as something that anyone can do if you set your mind to it. And you acknowledge that you were warned that you were tapering too quickly, but you did it anyway and you got through it.

Do you realize what the relapse rates are for people who try to cold turkey off opiates? Somewhere north of 90%! Evidence is showing that staying on buprenorphine for over a year is the best way to avoid relapse and overdose death. So what was your alternative that would have worked so much better?

I seriously hope that you used your time on buprenorphine to work hard on your recovery. The best way to ensure that you don't relapse is to be strong in your recovery. I have used my time on buprenorphine to work on myself and make my life unrecognizable from what it was when I was in active addiction. If I decide to taper off, I know that I've been to addiction counseling and SMART Recovery, and that I have worked out the pain that made using so attractive in the first place.

My hope for you is that, now that you have gotten off buprenorphine, you will gain some more perspective when you consider what your alternatives were. It's not abnormal to be mad at suboxone when you are trying to quit. We've seen that time and again. It may even be helpful to get made at it when trying to taper off. I just hope that as you go along you will recognize how suboxone benefitted you as well.

We are a pro-suboxone forum, so please choose your words more carefully when you talk about the medication that has saved so many of our lives. Thank you.

Amy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:32 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Trolling is bad, mmkay

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:27 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

subsarebadmmmK wrote:
I used a wide variety of supplements and had prescriptions for chlonodine, seroquil, and muscle relaxer, which all seems to really help.
A little hard to take mmmk seriously with single post, you never know. Seroquil, and muscle relaxer used with taper, these medications raise a red flag.