It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Just a quick ???
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:15 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Okay so I just have a question.....Has anyone heard of their Doc only being allowed to have a certain amout of people on sub at any given time? I have been on sub for about a yr and a half now and all the sudden my doc wants me off so he can get someone else on.....He has also switched me to subutex, does that mean I am not a "suboxone" pt anymore or is it the same thing? When I stared I was placed in the "here to help" program, so the med was covered for a year. A month before it ended they switched everyone to the films....They started me on 32mg I took that for about 5 months until I found this web site, at that time I took myself down to 16mg, then 12mg and so on.....My doc wanted me to stay on the 32mg though the whole year, I guess he didn't want to have to change things through the program.....I just went with it and saved up a whole lot of extra subs.....ANYWAYS.....I am now on subutex due to paying out of pocket......I only take 8mg a day 4mg am and 4mg pm and not ready to stop....Everytime I mention or ask for advice on how to taper he just tells me not to do anything for now, but I kinda new better, I knew this would happen and could NOT imagain being on 32mg and having to stop cold turkey, I did that when coming off methadone a few years back.....I went from 180mg to 0 in 15 days and OMG that was HELL!!!! My doc knows that I am only taking 8mg subutex, but keeps talking about me getting off soon.....so has anyone else heard of this? Let me also say that, yes I have heard of a doc only being able to have a certain amount of people on the "here to help program", but not on sub itself....? Sorry if I posted this in the wrong area.... Thanks

Post subject: 100 patient limit
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:12 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Yes, my understanding is that doctors are limited by regulations to treating no more than 100 patients at a time on sub for addiction and yeah, I think that is for both suboxone and subutex together. But I have never heard of a doctor pressuring people to get off sub so they could take new patients, other than doctors who only use sub for short detoxes. But I guess there are many doctors who think that most people should eventually stop taking sub. If you do decide to taper there are a lot of threads on this site about people's experiences with it. Seems like mostly it is recommended that people not be in a big hurry with their tapers, though some people do it faster than others, or "jump" at a higher level than others, many people try to get down to a really tiny dose (often well below one mg) with a long slow taper. Some people and their doctors agree to stay on sub indefinitely though. I think most people would agree that 32 mgs is a very high dose and many people maintain on 4 to 8 mgs or even less. But...everyone is different, so you have to find what works best for you. Good luck, this site is a great place to find info on sub.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:16 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Thank you for replyig so fast, I do have a appt on Thursday and will ask if maybe I can stay on as just a mataninace sub user, I had only planned on being on it for a year, but feel that things are going way to good to stop now. Plus I am super scared to go through the W/D......again, thank you!!!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:51 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I have heard of doctors doing that.... not sure how your dr charges patients but here is how it went for me
first visit 300, after the first visit it was 100.00 bucks so if they only use subs as a temporary maintenance they get more of the higher paying patients in. Sounds like a money thing to me I could be wrong thats just my opinion.