It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Just an opinion
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:32 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello all,
I had a freind who was addicted to Roxi's and he decided t get clean he any did a 7 day Suboxone treatment something like 16mg,8mg,4mg,4mg,2mg,1mg,1mg something along that line. And after he stopped it and went on to a successful recovery. Now my situation is I also was a Roxi addict and decided i wanted to get clean. I have not went to a doctor or seen any health professional. I decided to follow in my friends foot steps and i just got suboxone from a friend and im on my 4th day so todays dose was 4mg. I DO NOT want to get addicted to these and ive read alot of stories on here insinuating that they are VERY HARD to get off. The last 4 days have been great while taking them. SO i guess my ultimate question is, by only doing them for 7 days is it wise for such a short treatment.

Post subject: Re: Just an opinion
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:51 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

PawnStar Addict wrote:
Hello all,
I had a freind who was addicted to Roxi's and he decided t get clean he any did a 7 day Suboxone treatment something like 16mg,8mg,4mg,4mg,2mg,1mg,1mg something along that line. And after he stopped it and went on to a successful recovery. Now my situation is I also was a Roxi addict and decided i wanted to get clean. I have not went to a doctor or seen any health professional. I decided to follow in my friends foot steps and i just got suboxone from a friend and im on my 4th day so todays dose was 4mg. I DO NOT want to get addicted to these and ive read alot of stories on here insinuating that they are VERY HARD to get off. The last 4 days have been great while taking them. SO i guess my ultimate question is, by only doing them for 7 days is it wise for such a short treatment.

I'm going to ask some questions that maybe you should ask yourself if you haven't already.

1) What is stopping you from going into a doctors office (yes, you can do this with Suboxone, and not go to a methadone clinic) and getting your suboxone that way?

2)What's your backup plan? SURELY you have a backup plan in place, if something happened and you couldn't just "stop" when day 7 is here? A doctor to go see, a source to get them until you get a doctor...SOMETHING as a fail-safe?

3)What's so bad about going into treatment? Money, privacy?...another reason?

I would seriously consider finding a doctor to get legit with your Suboxone. If you have an emergency (sudden ER trip and you need pain meds), then they won't know unless you tell them of your illicit activity..and if they drug test you and find that you have Suboxone in your system, and you've been in an automobile accident, then the accident will be ruled YOUR fault because you were under the influence of drugs that weren't prescribed to you...
There are SO many things, like cops finding them, etc..plus with Suboxone being a CIII controlled substance, you're looking at some pretty decent fines / possible jail time if you DO get caught. It's not a simple slap on wrist charge that you can beat, not with Suboxone.

The cost of treatment is relatively cheap, considering all of the things that COULD happen. The pros of getting them legitimately LARGELY outnumber the cons...I would deeply consider ALL of the alternatives, plus your likelihood that you can relapse or use opiates again (or not so much "use" them, as ABUSE them)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:06 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

A short term taper like that is often what they do in detox clinics. I've done it a couple of times as an inpatient, and it's really effective. And some people do manage to stay clean.

The reason is that, by staying on Subox only 7 days, I think you don't have enough time to become dependent on the Sub, but there's enough time for the Sub to relieve the withdrawal from your drug of choice. My detox doctor called buprenorphine detox the "rolls royce" of opioid detox medication. Detox doctors no longer have to prescribe heaps of different medications for each withdrawal symptom, instead just giving a rapid bupe taper over 5-7 days. I've done it a couple of times, and was surprised at my lack of withdrawal when I left after a week. Both times I literally left that detox with close to no withdrawals.

That being said, most people who do short term detoxes relapse. It's the sad reality of opioid addiction. Your friend clearly has what it takes to stay clean after short-term detox. Personally, I think a person should at least try to get clean without Suboxone first. Because it would be a real shame for someone to end up dependent on Suboxone needlessly, when all along they may not have needed it. However, some doctors, including Dr. J disagree, and believe the risk of harm by relapse isn't worth the cost of being dependent on Suboxone. This is ultimately a decision you will need to make for yourself.

If you struggle to stay clean, or have a severe relapse... then I'd consider going on Suboxone. IMO Suboxone is for those people who struggle to stay clean on their own. Many people who go abstinent have occasional lapses, but IMO as long as they're moving forward and growing out of their addiction in the big picture, choosing to be dependent on ORT may be a step backwards in their recovery. Many people do manage to stay clean on their own (I've met lots of them), so it's important to discover if you have that capacity.

Getting Suboxone legit is important. But unfortunately I've met few doctors willing to prescribe short term / week long detox tapers to outpatients. I've only come across it in inpatient detoxes.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:03 am 
I recently came out of a 7 day inpatient detox here in Australia (Riverlands) and on the second day was given the choice of staying on Bupe as maintenance treatment or starting a rapid taper which would have seen me walk out on day 7 Drug Free.
Initially my intentions were to "detox", but after two days of group counselling and being forced to confront my long history of alcohol and drug abuse I decided to go for the Suboxone maintenance. It was a hard choice for some strange reason... but it shouldn't have been, deep down I knew I wouldn't have lasted a month!