It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:14 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello all I'm new here. Name is Joe. Been on subs a month and a day. Scooted up to 12mgs a day. Feeling better but a bit like I'm still coming back to reality. Hoping to have a few people to chat with along the way. Feeling very blessed! Though I just moved out of state and have no friends or likeminded people to talk with ATM.

Would be great to link up with some people that have time under their belts with subs and also new folks like me to help encourage (one another) and talk about how were doing.

Anyways that's enough from me! Checking this daily. If I can help anyone in anyway ask and I'll try my best!

:)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:45 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello Lazarus, ok my story is quite a long one, si ilk give you the basic short version, lol,k here goes....
welcome to our forum! my name is Lizzie and I've been on subs for eight months now! This is a journey I only wish I'd begun earlier. since starting this medication, the positive changes in my life have been phenomenal! I went from constantly worryimg where my next dose was coming from, how to pay for it, and what lie to tell about it, all while constantly having to increase the amounts of opiates I was taking just to keep from being sick with painful withdrawal symptoms, my behavior putting me and my entire family at risk of incarceration and social services banging on my door...at the very end of my active addiction,I was taking anywhere from a minimum of thirty pills a day and chewing 100mcg fentanyl patches and experimenting with increasingly dangerous routes of administration (kwim?), I'd lost s tremendous amount of weight and had become someone I didn't even recognize. I wasnt the mother, employee, sister, or girlfriend I needed to be for the ones who love me and count on me the most.
immediately after beginning my treatment, literally within days, I felt so much better and the obsession was gone. at my second appointment after arriving at the right dose for me, dare I say it, but I felt completely normal, like before my opiate addiction ever began! :-) prior to buprenorphine,I thought there was no hope for me, and want sure the subs would even work for me. I'd been thru so many unsuccessful detox attempts, tried 12 step meetings many times all without any success, and was on the verge of losing everything, and it was as if suddenly all of this was given back to me! Along with taking my meds,I see a wonderful psychiatrist who's also my sub Dr.. I've been able to immediately return to all of the interests and things that I pursued prior to my life spiraling out of control! I have four wonderful children, and am back to being a great mom to them,, being a good employee and using my money to pay my bills instead of buying drugs, and I'm earning back the trust of those of whom had completely lost faith in me. best of all, I'm still alive to make all these changes, and I'm not sure if I would be if not for Suboxone. I've been very fortunate to not have some of the side effects I've heard people complain of, and everyone around me is noticing and commenting on how much better I look and happier I seem to be. I sincerely hope that your experience will be as positive as mine and others will also be along to welcome you here!

I've gained much knowledge and support here at this forum and hope you will get the same out of you're membership here as well :-) There are some truly wonderful members here and our moderators are top notch!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:08 pm 

Hey Lazarus, good to see you're up and around again! We thought for sure you were a goner. :lol:

Yep, this is the place for like minded people. I joined this site as soon as I found it. Been on Sub since May '10 and don't regret it one bit. The only complaint I have is that it makes me a bit sleepy if I don't keep busy. Even at 1 mg it still did. Had some major illness w/surgery and went back up to 6 mg's mostly for pain. Eventually I'll taper back down again. I just felt better at a lower dose. Plus, if an emergency comes up where you have to have surgery (like me), then jumping off a small dose is way better. It still took a few weeks for the pain meds to kick in but now I know.

Welcome to the forum!

rule

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:58 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Lizz

I hear you. Drugs destroyed my marriage and had created a wedge between my family and friends and sadly (yet ultimately) my daughter who is 6 now. By the end it was all just to stay well to function. Simply because it was all I could afford. Though I began to make up for lost time over the past 3 years but let everyone down when I left the mdone clinic after about two years to fall flat on my face. I just relocated out of state in Jan this year and discovered I've only myself to blame. Truth is I can find drugs anywhere. So it's not just my surroundings to blame lapsed since Jan and finally made it in early last month!! I have another little girl on the way in August with my gf who I met in Hawaii back when I was 17. I'm 25 now and feeling blessed. So just solidifying my sobriety and saving money before I go back to the same state so I can be with both my girls. Time is standing still though. But im worth it and so are my girls and family and sub has been so much better than methadone was. Just plugging away! Thank you so much for the kind and caring words.

Rule. It's weird you mention that because I was never really gone
: P

Lol. My friend gave me a St. Lazarus I wear every day. Patron saint of the poor and sick if i remember correctly. Figured I'm a bit of both : )

I actually get tired sometimes too. I usually get an hour or so where I feel like I had a cup of coffee then hours later sometimes my eyes get heavy...no effects just feels like it's two a.m. or something..is this common or just a certain body chemistry?? Any weird side effects for you?? Sometimes I'm moving to much to notice but I'll admit it finds me in group therapy sometimes. Lol.

I do hope your pain stuff gets better. I can only imagine how challenging that can be. My heart goes out to you.

Thanks for the warm welcome you two...it means more than you know. You really made my night. Feels great to share myself and talk online about something that really matters to me. Glad you both are doing so well!!

We'll have to catch up here and there! Keep fighting the good fight!

-Laz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:24 pm 

Laz, I guess my attempt at humor failed. Lazarus was risen from death by Jesus Christ. So says the bible that is.

Sooner or later, every person will deal with some sort of painful situation. Some may be chronic while others are just healing from an injury. I'm kind of a little of both. Had the back part of my tongue removed along with a radical neck dissection. It was the neck thing that keeps the pain coming on. Too many nerves in there I guess. The Suboxone helps along with Aleve. My tongue healed fine, no lingering pain or talking problems. Just can't hit those high notes anymore and can't whistle either. Small discomforts, that's all. If not for modern medicine I'd be dead by now. Thanks for the kind words.

rule

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:25 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey good job! Like, that is a huge deal! Seriously.
Did you have to like move geographically in order to stay clean?
I ask because you said you are new to town.
Anyway, I'm on day 2. I know 2 days is nothing but it seems like eternity to me.
I am proud of you for 30 days.
I hope I can make it 30 days.
Wait, i WILL make it 30 days.
I have legit no one to call when I contemplate relapse so that's why I always relapse.
I'm prescribed 16 mg of sub a day but I only take 8 mg but I can not stomach the taste.
It's like, awful.
Well, I hope you are doing well and congrats again!!!!!!
:D :!:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:34 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

RULE . Lol. No the joke totally landed I was being sarcastic. In all honesty when you said glad to see you were alive or whatnot I thought I picked up some old deactivated member that had died an untimely death. Then I realized you had made a Biblical reference. Wow. We have beat this joke to death. Haha. I'm happy that the alieve is enough to cut the pain down. were the surgeries needed because of sub or previous stuff?? I only ask because I am a musician and I don't need any more assistance in the difficulty finding notes department ; )

DressUpPretty

Thanks a bunch I really appreciate it! I am super proud of you as well! If I looked correctly today is day 3 for you which is awesome. Getting through those first few days takes serious guts! You can PM me on here and I'll be sure to respond quickly as I can. I know what it's like to not really have anyone to turn to. Get rid of those bad numbers in your phone. I need to change my number because I still get calls. At least in Hawaii it's super expensive to get high. But yes I moved to get clean to HI from OR in Jan. I've learned I can find drugs anywhere. It's a internal thing. A choice to not use. I don't know what the future may bring but I know today I'm not going to use. I hope and pray you find a similar strength!!

Thanks for all the kindness everyone!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:56 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Welcome to the forum lazarus! I think your name is pretty fitting, starting recovery can feel a lot like coming back from the dead. It certainly did for me. Living your life planning to die young on drugs is a big difference from the hope and renewed interest in life most people experience when they really want to recover.

I've been on the subs and clean since January this year, about when I registered. I haven't been on the forum since my social life had a rebirth of its own and I haven't exactly been lonely. At 23 years old I quit my job and moved back into my parents' house in order to focus on recovery. 5 months later I have a good job, my own place, and reconnected with a previous girlfriend of 3 years who has been by my side every step of recovery since right after I started and who is now living with me. Things could not be better, and I'm doubtful it would have gone so well without suboxone. I can't remember another period of time equal or greater in my entire life that I have felt so happy, fulfilled, and satisfied. And I'm proud of myself, for a change.

I hope you can find the same rebirth and lasting hope that will help you to be a great father. You aren't much older than me, and I can't imagine having kids while doing this. Biggest of ups, and good luck.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:29 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you! Yesterday was day 3 and today is day 4 on subs. I am already seeing so many changes in myself, my personality, my relationships with others, it is insane!! I do my make up and curl my hair the past 3 mornings. Instead of wearing sandles I have worn heals the past 3 days! That is only external but internally I feel sooo much better! My relationship with my parents is blossoming again. I laugh pretty much all day every day.
Oh!! The reason I started this reply is because I read something about someone being a father? I wanted to share that I'm also a mother of an 8 month old baby boy and suddenly taking care of my son is like a million times easier. I used to dread waking up in the middle of the night to feed him (not becuase of him personally, but because I was too tired and loaded to want to wake my stupid ass up), or getting him ready for day care in the morning used to be such a rushed stressful event. I'm a single mom and now I literally wake up at 5:30 just to have plenty of time to take care of myself, then wake up Brody and we actually play before we leave for work and daycare in the morning. Instead of taking his bottle to the daycare at 8am, I feed him myself before we get in the car. Anyway, too much information, I know. I just basically wanted to say that I could have never imagined having a child and coming off of dope. All I can say is, it almost makes it easier bc of how busy I am. I don't see how I deprived him of so much extra love for the past 7 almost 8 months. I know I'm only on day 4 but I seriously have seen so many changes in myself and I owe it to Suboxone. I want 30 days soo bad! One day at a time.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:38 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey mate- welcome! I've been on sub for about the same amount of time as you (month-ish). I also have this problem with sleeping - particularly oversleeping. I get as bad as 15 hour sleeps sometimes!

I've also moved around a lot and have never had too many people to talk to about sub stuff. That's why this forum is so great.

Take care, seems like you're doing well.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:30 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Well I'm officially 60 days sober!

Baby girl on the way around the 9th of August. Though it seems it may be sooner!!

Right now working with an allergy/immunologist to figure out what's going on with me. Been getting some pains in my neck. back. knees. And what's called malar rash on my face it seems.

Been having super un fun using dreams right before I wake up. Been pretty much bedridden. ER last Thursday because I felt like I was dying. So I'm taking antihistamines every day. The sub is still making me feel overwhelmed in a strange way. Like people say less is more. 4mg daily has me more comfortable than 12mg it's been four days I've been at this dose. Get all my blood results on Monday so my fingers are crossed. Just want to be feeling good to participate during my kiddo being born. Right now I feel like I'd faint doing anything for more than 15-20 minutes. Blah. Sober but still in it. Grateful for today and feeling good enough to type this up.

Hope everyone is doing good still!

-Laz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:51 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Congrats on 60 days sober. Good luck with the blood test. Isn't life so much better on subs than off?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:50 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am reposting my question here because I do not know if I posted it in the correct spot earlier, put it in Q and A but now that I think about it it may have been site Q and A, not suboxone Q and A, but anyway you said you have hit thirty days so maybe you can help? :

Trying to squeeze the question in to the little box...when will I feel normal? My first day without methadone was last Tues....so today is SUnday....That is six days. I did not tell my doctor that I was going to another clinic for methadone, so although she thought I had weaned down to twenty, I actually had a buttload more of methadone in my system. 75 plus 20 to be exact. Originally I was at 75 plus 65. I had only gone two days with ONLY the 20 milligrams, and only 24 hours without anything....so I had HORRIBLE withdrawals and had to go back for her to give me emergency meds to counteract it. ANYWAY, I have since arrived to my sixth day. I am taking 4mg of suboxone, which I have not even taken today, because I am scared to. Yesterday when I took it I felt worse than I even do today with my withdrawals WITHOUT taking it. SO, my question is, does anyone have any experience with induction to suboxone where they felt worse taking it than without, in terms of the withdrawal effects? And if so, how long will I have to wait for it to feel normal again. I know that some say two weeks, but my first "push" was so bad I thought maybe that would have sped it up. And it did, to some degree, because my next time taking the suboxone I felt better, but still not normal.....Any takers?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:42 pm 

Marydaze,

I have no idea how to answer your question because I have no experience with methadone. You are more likely to have your topic seen if you make this a brand new topic in the Induction section.

Go to the Index button and click
Choose the Induction section
Choose the button that says "New Topic"
Write your post and click submit.

The post you put in the Q & A section will be less likely to be seen since it's not as popular a section.

Cheers,
Amy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:09 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Mary that's a tough one.

Methadone has an exceedingly long half life but I can't imagine it taking much more than 3-5 days to get out of MY system. But after a long time it may take longer. Now if you were at a clinic I assume you are taking methadose liquid? Last time I went from methadone pills to subs I waited a little over 4 days because after taking it a month straight I could tell I just wasn't as sick as I knew I could get.

That having been said you were probably at the clinic for a little while. When I was a clinic a few years ago at 120mgs a day my w/ds were something fierce when i left after an abrupt 21 day detox however I couldn't afford to switch to a suboxone doc at the time. There is a chance the 4mgs may not be enough just yet or you are still getting acclimated. Since you should be in the induction phase with your doc. You should discuss whether you should maybe take 6 or whatever she/he thinks would be best.

My personal experience from my induction was this.

Was taking 150-200 mgs of morphine daily before my sub induction for about 5-6 days...I took my last doses right before 1 in the afternoon on a Sunday and had my doc the next morning @ 8:30

I was not sick as I knew I could get and had fluish symptoms from dosing too early but not quite the nightmare I usually hear of when people speak of precipitated withdrawal. Mostly super achey and sore as hell and couldn't even wash dishes just knew I needed to lay down. Days 1-2 my first two appts I peed + for opiates and that was just morphine. So my doc and I decided I probably felt so crappy between transitioning to sub,getting acclimated to sub and having opiates in my system. Stick with it. It gets better and it's worth it. Maintenance mixed with not feeling high or even kinda loaded can really change your life for the better.

I'm going though a bunch of stuff right now that's started since I've been on sub but it could just be my past rearing it's ugly head. Which I truly hope and pray because even though the addict in me....the guy who always finds the easy way out...has considered going back to a clinic knows that's not what I want for myself either. Have to learn how to sift though the crappy things and find reasons to carry on. Don't give up at the first snag or the second or third. Life happens sober or high. I'm very proud of you and hope you continue to make positive changes in your life!

Going to pm you as well in case you can't find your way back to my thread. Glad you posted and hope I was of some amount of help!

-Laz