It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:24 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I just gave birth to a little girl on November 21st via c section. I've been on suboxone my entire pregnancy and had been reading all of the stories from other mothers on this forum over the past several months. It was helpful to read everyone's experiences with pregnancy and child birth and it also helped to ease my mind a bit because of course, I was worried about my baby suffering from NAS. I was also worried about how I would manage my pain during / after giving birth on suboxone. I'm happy to say that everything has worked out great for me and the baby and hope that by sharing my story I can offer some support to other expectant mom's.
I was on 8 mg's of suboxone throughout my entire pregnancy. i was actually at 4 mg's in the beginning of pregnancy, but due to higher blood volume and metabolism during pregnancy, my dosage was increased. Both my sub doctor and OBGYN were very supportive of my being on suboxone and were also anticipating a positive outcome for the baby, reassuring me that she probably won't experience withdrawal symptoms. However, I needed to be mentally prepared for the worst case scenario, just in case she did suffer withdrawal and so I was urged to be aware of the warning signs of NAS. I tried to think positively throughout the pregnancy and basically "gave it to God" since there was no way I could predict how my baby would be born.
I ended up having to schedule a C section since my baby was over a week late and estimated to be on the larger size - she was born over 9 lbs. I wasn't dilating at all, the baby wasn't dropping, and I was showing no signs of going into labor anytime soon. I took my suboxone up to the night before my c section, and the following morning, about six hours prior to the procedure, I took about 1/4 of my normal dose (2 mgs). I was given a spinal block, which also contained morphine so that I could have some long acting pain relief after the c section. I was also given oxycodone/ roxi's every four hours for pain for the entire length of my hospital stay. I didn't take my subs for about 36 hours after the c section and just relied on the pain meds. After that, I took small amounts of suboxone (1-2 mg's) along with the prescribed pain meds and my pain was very manageable. My plan was to not take the subs at all while I was in the hospital and receiving pain meds, but I realized that I needed to take some suboxone with the meds to adequately manage my pain.
So my baby girl was born and was absolutely beautiful and perfect. Since everyone knew I was taking suboxone throughout my pregnancy, she was "scored" by the nurses every four hours, although I didn't know they were doing this until a couple days later. My plan was to breastfeed so she was never given a bottle and I was feeding her from my breast often. It seemed like all she wanted to do was eat and was starting to get fussy after about 24 hours. By day two she was crying non-stop and neither my husband nor I could console her. The only time I could keep her quiet is when I was breastfeeding her. Now I was starting to get scared... 2 and a half days had passed and something seemed "wrong" with my baby. I was so scared of NAS! The lactation consultant came about this time and she discovered that my baby was getting nothing from my breast as I wasn't producing any milk at all. In essence, my child was starving, which was probably the reason she was acting the way that she was. She had also dropped about 12% of her birth weight, which was another indicator that she wasn't getting any food. So all this time, the poor little soul was frantically trying to get milk from my breast but was getting next to nothing. However, at this point, one nurse had already made up her mind that my baby has NAS and so they took her from my room and put her in the "special care" nursery, where she stayed two nights.
It really sucked to have her in the the special care nursery and mostly everyone agreed that she did NOT have NAS - she was just super hungry. We were giving her formula to supplement and her demeanor changed drastically. But since she dropped so much weight, they had to keep her in the nursery until she started to gain her weight back. Of course there were a couple nurses who were just so convinced that my baby has NAS (and they weren't afraid to mention it) but mostly everyone else including my OBGYN, my daughter's pediatrician, and 95% of the nurses, felt like the only thing that was wrong with my daughter was the fact that she was starving. She was kept under close watch for 48 hours and I was there every 2-3 hours around the clock feeding her (and crying) and she gained back a ton of weight. The dr in charge of the nursery decided to discharge her on the same day as me (I was in for 5 days due to the c section) and we both went home together. We have had no problems at all since we left. She is eating like a champ, continues to gain weight, and is a great little sleeper! We are so happy to have her! She does sneeze a little, but the pediatrician says this is very normal for all newborns since they have such tiny nasal passages. It's kind of funny the way they "score" newborns for NAS - first of all, many signs of NAS are very normal for babies. Plus, much of the criteria is subjective. And in my case, a starving hungry baby looks alot like a NAS baby!
So... the bottom line is that I had a non-addicted baby that was not treated for NAS, even though I was on suboxone throughout my pregnancy. I was also able to manage my pain from a c section while on suboxone. I think alot depends on the doctors and nurses involved, and for the most part, I was treated very fairly and well supported. I do think that some people want to immediately assume that your baby has NAS when it could be something completely different, so its best to be prepared for this.
I hope this story is helpful to anyone else out there who is pregnant and worried about NAS. Feel free to let me know if I can offer any advice or support to any of you soon to be mommys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:59 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Congratulations on your little girl JenW!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm glad she was born NAS free and I'm glad y'all are all home!! Santa brought you guys an early Christmas present....spoil her every chance you get!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:42 pm 

Hey Jen!

Congratulations on your beautiful little girl! When I had my son in 1998 I was not yet an addict, but I also had a c-section. I didn't take any narcotics at the time because I didn't want to take the chance of passing anything through my breast milk. That actually kind of makes me chuckle now. Imagine being offered opiate medication and passing it up!

Anyway, I was nursing my son every few hours and was then discharged after about 3 days. He started crying all of the time too, and I figured out that I wasn't producing much milk yet. I called Le Leche League and bawled on the phone, but I was told to offer him nothing but the breast. NOT HELPFUL! I took Jacob back to the hospital to meet with the lactation consultant and she told me to go ahead and nurse him often, but after nursing to give him a few ounces of formula.

10 days after he was born, my milk FINALLY came in! It felt like a lifetime! Good job for sticking with it and for working on your recovery the whole way through. Your new daughter and the rest of the family will truly benefit from all of your hard work!

Amy

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:07 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

congrats on your new baby girl! im so happy your birth went smoothly and she got to come home with you! i had my son on subs august 17th, he had to go to the special care nursery for a couple days because i had a fever during labor and after and they put him on antibiotics along with me for the next 48 hrs, but we both got to go home the same day with no problems :)