It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:56 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi Everyone!

Sorry I have been MIA. So so tired and getting ready to have this baby. I have been doing reallly well, maintaining on 8 mgs of Sub per day. I saw my Sub doc today and she said out of all her patients that gave birth two had NAS and honestly she doesn't know if they were doing anything else. She recently had a patient the was taking 24 mgs a day and the baby had NO signs of NAS so I just want to reassure all those mommy's to be out there that I know it's scary but you and your babies are going to be fine. I will definitely make sure I try to update more and let you all know when the baby comes and how it all goes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:38 pm 
I'm so glad you're doing well! I can't believe you're already 35 weeks. I'm sure it feels like forever to you, but it's gone by fast for me!! lol!!
Thanks for the update! Enjoy these last few weeks of your pregnancy! And keep us updated as you can!

Post subject: :)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:03 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Hi,

I am 37 weeks and on subutex also. I started about 9 weeks ago. I am on 4mg. My sub dr also said that he had two women on 24mg and their babies didn't show any signs of NAS. How are you feeling about all this. I am so scared. I kept going off and going on the subutex. I finally just said it was better to be on it then not. I have a C-Section in 11 days. So I plan to stop about 7-5 day before. The sub dr said I stop 3-4 days before, but I want to give myself some more time.

I hope that we can talk, I will have my baby before you, so I can tell you how she did when she is born. Wow it feel so good to have some one who is preggo post.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:55 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

"So I plan to stop about 7-5 day before. The sub dr said I stop 3-4 days before, but I want to give myself some more time."

Kris: How can we ever get you to actually listen to your physician? I know you are scared. I know that you don't want anything bad to happen to your new baby. But why on earth would you think that you somehow know more than the doctor who is taking care of you and clearly has to have more education and experience with all of this than you could ever possibly have? Sure, if he said 4 days and you do 5, that's likely not much of a big deal. But he also said 3 and you also said 7 - that's more than twice the amount. Three days without Bup is a huge difference than 7 days without Bup. And you already know this first hand from having gone through it a few weeks ago. It seems very clear that the current thinking by the medical community is there is more risk to the baby to have the mother go into withdrawals than it is to be on Suboxone. Yet, even with all of this, you still want to be your own physician. Does that really make good sense to you?

I really hope you'll re-think all of this. Your doc might actually know what is best for both you and for your new baby.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:58 am 
Yes, Kris. I think donh is right. I think the most you should push it is about 4 days. Remember last time when you quit how your "stomach" kept tightening up? More than likely, as I told you at that time, you were having contractions. That's what happens (among other things) when a pregnant woman is in withdrawal from opiates. Although you're far enough along that if you did go into labor and deliver now, things would probably turn out fine, it still isn't best. Studies have shown that if baby 'stays in' until 39 weeks (1 week before your due date) or at least real close to that, the better the baby will do. Plus you don't want to go in and have a C/S that is an unscheduled, hurry-up kind of deal, in labor, hurting, in withdrawal, etc. Not a good plan. Give yourself a break and expect that everything will turn out fine if you do as your doctor has told you.
At this point, I think we all feel like we have a part in your little one's safe arrival! Do us proud and make sure you can come back with good news about a smooth delivery! Stay on your Subutex and enjoy the last days of your pregnancy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:37 am 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

you guys are right, sometimes my way of thinking out in left field. I do much better when i do listen to the dr. The one thing that did set me off was that the sub dr said no to breastfeeding. But when i asked him, he took his I-Phone out and did like a quick look up on the internet. For me, this means he doesn't really have that much experience with mom on subutex and breasting feeding since I have read a lot of great information that it is ok to do so. They recommend you don't do it. He just told me that if I wanted to breastfeed, to stop the sub and if I couldn't that it was ok to bottle feed. I was upset at this, but I plan to talk to him in more detail next week about it. The OB has no problem with it. I will do five days without, I can do five days with no problems. It is when I go to push for six to seven I have problems. 11 more days, BTW i am having my C-Section when I am 39weeks. I don't know why the OB wants to do it a week early which kinda bugs me. I would rather wait another week to do it. I guess he doesn't want to be woken up in the middle of the night lol. He checked me yesterday and no sign of labor, my cervic is still closed and thick. I went down to 3mg yesterday with no problems. I had been getting sick and when i did 3mg yesterday I didn't and I am doing fine this morning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:00 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Kris,

So good to hear you're doing well. I'm sure you must be excited to meet the new baby! As for your doctor looking something up, I look at that as a good thing. To me it means they are not so arrogant to think they know all the answers by rote memory. A doctor who is willing to take the time to look something up - to be sure - is actually the doctor I'd want. Doctors are human beings and can't memorize everything, so maybe try not to be so hard on him. It's not that you want someone who knows all the answers, but someone who knows where to find the answers. At least that's how I look at it. That's just my opinion, but I wanted to offer a somewhat different perspective. Other people with more knowledge than me about medicines and breast milk I'm sure will chime in on this subject, too.

Take care!

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:08 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

I never looked at it that way. I think your right. Thanks for posting because that does make sense to me know. You are right, he is a great sub dr, and he does care because he calls to check up on me at times. He did admit he didn't know and that is why he looked it up. I guess I expected him to KNOW everything and look at me trying to KNOW what I think is best for me and the baby as far as when to stop the sub before surgery. Look where my knowledge got me lol. It is so helpful for every one to talk with me. I have had such a hard time in my own mind thinking that I can be dr and play with my own dose, but there is a little person involved. Thanks again. I just don't think now is the time to stop subutex after the baby is born, it would be way to much stress on me.