It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Dr Junig
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:07 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Why don't you eliminate the Meeting Announcements and Chat forum, or lock it until it is restarted on a regular basis.

No one is ever on chat, I posted and tried to get one going Tuesday and zip. There have been no meetings for months. It is very confusing for new people. This could work, you just need more aggressive advertising and more moderators. I know it is a thankless/free job, but you have several smart people here daily, like me, who is disabled and could devote a few hours........ You also could use about 4-5 greeters that are here about the same time on a frequent basis to greet the newbies, advise in an emergency and get them started on posting for help.......

Another good thing would be a shout box, where anyone can post up to so many letters ie: Hey, it's me Robin, I need help now....... I waited a very long time for a first answer, really frustrating......almost didn't come back.

You new video redo is much better although I am sorry you didn't tap into Starbucks as a sponsor. I have more, I will email you, if you don't mind...........
Robin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:12 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

FYI - I and another member use the chat room regularly (as in daily). And quite often a new member will pop in and we will help get them started, talk with them, whatever they need. Also be aware that people can meet in the chat room and then go into a private room - you just may not see them in there. I believe no matter how little the chat room is used that it should always be available and should never be shut down.

Just my five cents. I'll leave the rest to Dr. J, should he see this. I just wanted to make it clear that the chat room IS being used regularly.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:21 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

robinfa wrote:
Why don't you eliminate the Meeting Announcements and Chat forum, or lock it until it is restarted on a regular basis.

No one is ever on chat, I posted and tried to get one going Tuesday and zip. There have been no meetings for months. It is very confusing for new people. <snip>

I, for one, use the Chat Forum practically everyday.
I have a dial-up connection, and cannot access many of the popular instant messenger programs
like many of other members probably can do.
So, I strongly suggest that the Chat Forum does NOT be shut down.

It is there for a reason, and shutting it down would be a big mistake,
in my humble opinion.

-ex-

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:35 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I didn't know that you could go to a private chat room. That means no on else can see what you are saying right?

I do think that there needs to be more active moderators. The only one that is hear consistently is Hat and I occasionaly see Diary. This is not a dig at the others, they may be doing things behind the scene that I am not aware of. This is just too much for one person. If more mods isn't possible then I think greeters are a good idea. We want people to stay and I too almost left because when I joined I never had a single comment or welcome. I think its important to make new members feel they are being heard from the beginning. Thanks for bringing this up!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:48 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Breezy_Ann,

Welcome to the forum!!!

Sorry we missed ya when you first popped in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:12 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Good lord I have been on here at least 10 times a day since around July 25th and have never seen anyone in chat, in anyroom.....I think If people use it great!

Why don't you lock down the Meeting Announcements for awhile until people show some kind of interest? Did you notice Hat when the last post was??.... and of course, One cannot add anything because you have to be a moderator......

Ex: Thanks for your input but, I can honestly say I have been here a lot and will have to look more closely now, because I would love to chat with you and get to know you better.....

What about more Moderators, suggested that and honestly believe that would help. If I don't know, I ASK.

What about greeters? I have PMd several people who would be interested in doing this.

Look guys, this forum has been very helpful to me. I am off 15 days now and doing well. I am disabled and have a ton of free time, right now. Do you feel it necessary to be so defensive? It is Junigs decision. Don't shut down the chat room if you are honestly using it, albeit privately. It is a GREAT tool.

My other question to you Hatmaker, do moderators to read PMs? I wonder if Mods do, as I have sent several and believe me I know what I am doing and poof,.....they disappear....hmmm hence the question. I know for a fact on another forum, that admins and mods could read PMS, and just make them go away.

Have a great evening. R

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:49 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

If someone wants to be a "greeter" and take the time to respond to all the new posts and say hi to new members and help them out, then go for it.

In fact, that is what Hat and I did and that is how we got to be moderators. You don't need any special permission to be welcoming to people on the forum, so go right ahead.

As far as the PM's go, I'm not really sure what you are asking. I can only read PM's that are sent to my inbox, I can't read other member's PM's or anything, and I can't delete anyone's PM's but my own. Is that what you're asking? If you sent PM's to any of the other mods besides me and Hatmaker, they might not have seen them as we are the only ones checking in here on a daily basis (I think.)

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject: thanks
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:35 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thanks for the answers. I appreciate your time, Diary
R