It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Jumping Off Suboxone
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:36 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am 70 years old and have been on suboxone since May 2011. I thought I would remain on this drug for the rest of my life. However, after going month after month to a clinic, being urine tested monthly (at times observed) counseling, money spent, etc. it grew to be "too much". I made the decision to quit. Besides, did I want to be on this drug in the autumn of my life until I passed on? No! I may be the oldest person on this forum. However, being this age may give an interesting and different perspective on stopping buprenorphine. I will be jumping either on 8/5/17 or 8/6. I have slowly, patiently tapered down to roughly .33 mg. This has taken about 8 months. I believe I was around 1.5 mg when I started the taper. Honestly, the taper has not been awful but I kind of "hit the wall" at .25mg. I sure enough started feeling the withdrawal symptoms at that dosage. Weird--such a little difference but I found it difficult, at least for me. I have done tons of research about what takes place when you finally decide to stop. I have anxiety issues anyway, and though buprenorphine is an easier detox than regular opiates (per Dr. Junig citing studies) I know this next month or longer will be challenging for me. If interested in how it goes, I would be grateful for the support and maybe we all can learn something together.

Last edited by woody47 on Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Jumping Off Suboxone
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:29 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Good luck. I am on day 10 off no suboxone. Let us know how it goes. Good luck!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:52 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Woody, I am very interested in how it goes and we can definitely all learn from you here, so let her rip! Lets get this show on the road and see how your Suboxone jump goes. I wish you the best of luck and welcome you to the forum.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:44 am 

Welcome Woody!!

Well ur not the oldest person on the forum, our beloved Queenie is 72 I think. But I think her outlook is a little different than yours because she's perfectly ok spending the rest of her life on buprenorphine. I can totally respect and understand ur decision to taper though and it definitely seems like u have done a great job at tapering! We'd love to hear ur stopping journey.

When ur ready to stop, or whenever, u may want to go to the Stopping Suboxone section to journal ur journey :) That section is full of ppl stopping and sharing their experiences just like u. U will get so much support here and it's great that you've done ur research.

Good luck Woody!!!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:52 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi Woody,

I was reading your story and wanted to share that I am just on day 11 after quitting. I wanted to tell you that a total jump was too much for me. I started trying to skip days went like 36 hours, then 48 hours which was a bit harsh the first time, nothing like full blown withdrawal but uncomfortable. I was at .125 then. So I kept taking that dose for a couple of days after the first skip attempt and decided to try again. The second time it was much easier although I believe I did one previous to the two I mentioned a week apart. Anyhow if you have any medication and jump and things get rough it would be ok in my opinion to take a sliver to aid you through the process.
I am 54 and on the last skip attempt I got through very easily it was like I could feel the transformation rather quickly as well. The uneasiness faded and I have been ok since. The first couple of days were a bit hard in the energy department but I managed to go to work and function without being tortured.
I hope things go well for you and it will be interesting to follow your story throughout the process, keep on posting

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:13 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks to all that replied to my post about jumping. Indeed I took the plunge yesterday(8/5). The majority of the day I felt like someone slipped me a couple of xanax---very tired, though I forced my self to the pool for a short swim. After a late breakfast i crashed in bed. I have for some time taken benzos for insomnia. Since I was so tired, I thought sleep would be easy. Not so. I took my prescribed benzos and couldn't get to sleep. My head felt full and I have never experienced restless leg but there was this almost electric feeling in my legs and feet--not comfortable. I eventually took besides my half clonidine a full clonidine around 2 AM. That seemed to help and I finally got to sleep. Thank goodness. I know insomnia is part of this which I despise. I hope the clonidine continues to work. It is my only comfort med as I take benzos at bedtime anyway and my doc didn't want to introduce yet another benzo during the day. Day two now, still tired but as yet no pronounced anxiety. I believe the anxiety/depression which is part of it is yet to come down the road. I admire the person who is on day 11-12 of stopping and would enjoy hearing how that is going. BTW I have been taking the supplements ashwagandha and L-Theanine daily for 10 days prior to jump---helpful for anxiety.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:32 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi woody,

I am now on day 14 at the beginning of that day. Two weeks. I just wanted to tell you I have been posting my experience since I got to .25.
The first time I posted I thought I would be done in two weeks. Well that was not the case it took a little over a month to get to the end.
You can read the experience in "stopping suboxone" header reads tapering experience at .25 almost ready to quit.
I hope things are going well continue to post your experience leaving the information here helps others.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:44 pm 

It's been a week since we've heard from you, Woody. How are you doing?

Amy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:40 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi all, Woody 47 here. Been a while. Why ? Because my focus is poor and at 70 not tech savvy. With a friend's help I hope to improve. Beginning day10 after jump. Try to be concise here. Main culprit has been fatigue. I believe two reasons---first that goes with the detox and second can't get any meaningful sleep at all. Tough on an old 70 year old bird. But instead of lying around in bed all day I dress and push to get out of the house. Went swimming yesterday and helped made dinner. I take no comfort meds during the day like benzos or clonidine. I use clonidine only before bedtime, helping at first, now ineffective---heck! I am eating great and taking my supplements daily.
According to Dr. J and other readings there is a delayed second phase I should be close to coming onto to. Apparently after day 10 or so Kappa receptor starts its thing---evidently that is where we start to get into the mental aspects of second phase--with anxiety, depression, more fatigue (I hope not)etc. To believe some individuals that second phase last roughly from day 10 to say day 28. Apparently after 30 days you turn the corner and start feeling a lot better, Much of the fear has gone. But as I have read here it takes about 3 months for new receptors to grow. That lines up with another doc saying after 3 months you start feeling comfortable "in your own skin". Would love to hear folks view on this-the 2nd phase. So far, no anxiety but is this the calm before the storm???

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:56 pm 

Thanks for updating us, Woody!

There are certain trends that occur during the weeks and months after detoxing from suboxone. But everyone also seems to have their own experience. What did mothers always say? Don't go looking for trouble?

We'll be here for you no matter what you go through, so keep the posts coming!

Amy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:00 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Quote:
However, after going month after month to a clinic, being urine tested monthly (at times observed) counseling, money spent, etc. it grew to be "too much".

That is too bad. We are constantly bombarded with 'it is a medical disease, it should be treated medically.' Other chronic diseases (Lupus, Crohn's, D.M. etc.) are seen less frequently when stable. After a year, most of my patients transition to being seen every 3 months. When there is co-occurring problems I may see them more frequently, but it is by mutual plan, not punitive.
I wish you the best with your taper (now off) and getting through the next few weeks. Good idea on your part to limit the benzo's, no point in trading one problem for another.