It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:18 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey All:

I have only been on sub for two weeks and I was going to try to stop taking it this weekend. I am hoping that since I have only been on it for a short time that the "kick" won't be that bad. I have been on and off it for years. The longest time I took it for was 4 months and the Kick was awful, and I tapered and everything! I have heard the shorter amount of time a person is on it the less hard it is to kick. I am willing to not feel well, just to get off this. Because before I know it, months will have passed.

Help! Does anyone have any experience with this? Please give me you thoughts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:03 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Hey,

I myself have been on it for about two weeks now and I'm going to start the taper this Friday. My doctor and I are going to decide whether or not I'm going to stay on it for a couple months or just start the taper this Friday, which is something I'm leaning towards doing, but who knows? I don't have much experience with w/d symptoms from subox, but from other opiates I certainly do. I do know that when I was at 2mg subox a day, I did start to get that crushing leg pain and dysphoria around the 16th hour or so. The symptoms would immediately go away after I took my next 2mg dose. I was on 2mg because my initial plan was to taper off last week, but I saw another doctor and she convinced me to atleast try it for a month, so I agreed. I'm at 16mg a day now, and if I agree to go along with this taper, then it'll have been a month of me being on the subox. Just an FYI, subox reaches a ceiling effect, meaning a 16mg dose can be just as potent as 32mg, and 4mg can also be just as potent as 32mg. Starting at around 4mg, no matter how much more you increase your dose, the opiate effects will be the same. However, it's when when you get below 2mg when you really start to see a change in it's opiate effects. So I've heard the trick is if you're tapering, cutting down from 16 to 12 to 8 to 4 to 2 shouldn't be that difficult. But going from 2 to 0 is where it should take some time, decreasing the dose in very minute increments, and being very careful not to go too quickly. Wish you the best.

-a nor cal guy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:20 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I think your withdrawal will also depend on what/how long you were using before you started Sub.

What I'm wondering is why, if you've been off and on Sub for years - which implies that you're switching between sub and other opiates - you're in a rush to get off. Are you really that stable after 2 weeks that you think sobriety will stick? Not that it's not possible, but history is the best predictor of the future.

In any case, opiate abuse causes changes in the brain. Until those changes are reversed, you have withdrawal symptoms. Two weeks of Suboxone is not going to take away the urge to get high - once you taper off the Sub anyway. I was on Sub for almost 2 years and though my taper was relatively smooth, I'd be lying if I told you that once I got off Suboxone I didn't think of taking a percoset. I didn't do it, but I thought about it.

Take care of yourself and make a smart choice for your recovery.

-Jack Kornfield

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:18 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello:

I guess I worded that wrong. I was on and off of it two years ago. I had almost two years clean and Then I recenlty had a brief relpase for just a few weeks. Now I am on the sub and have only been on it for two weeks and am giong to get off of it this weekend. I talked to my doctor and he said there will be mild withdrawls but should not bee too bad since I was not using for a long time before and have only been on it for a few weeks. If its too much than I will just stay on it, but a very low dose.

I am chosing to get off of it because I am hitting my program hard again like I did before, I love my sponsor and am going to a meeting everday and working my steps. I just do not want to have to wake up in the morning and depend on any checmicals. Thats just for this addict. I am a total supporter of sub and it worked great for me last time, I was just on it for 4 months and the kick was absolutly horrible and I tapered down to .25 of a 2mg pill.

Well thanks for all the thoughts and support! I will let you all know how it goes! Wish me luck as I really want to be off everything!

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:46 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

NorCal Girl and anyone else-

Quote:
I was just on it for 4 months and the kick was absolutly horrible and I tapered down to .25 of a 2mg pill.

There is a very good explanation for that. TIME.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:50 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

What do you mean by "there is a very good explanation for that, TIME" ??? You mean the length of time I was on it the last time? Or what? I am going to see what happens this weekend. I am staying totally positive and praying and chanting a lot about it (I am a Buddhist) I feel that because I have been on it for such a short time, it won't be too comfortable. I am not naive to the fact that I probably will feel a little "sick"

Wish me luck, send your prayers and I will keep you all updated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:07 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

By the way, As I posed in another Thread. Requip works phenomenally for the RLS and the "kick" in general. I have an addiction doctor who prescribed it for me last time I got off the sub and this time, I have it ready to go, on standby for the next few nights. It really makes a world of difference. It helps your brain produce dopamine, which is part of what our brains have a problem with after all the opiate abuse. I take a few a night while "kicking" then I take 1/2 for about a month or two after. It is amazing! At least for me.

Whomever is getting of sub, might want to run it by their Doctors and see what they have to say.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:13 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Good luck this weekend NorCalGirl. It's good that you're thinking positive about your withdrawal - while a lot of it is physical, a lot is mental too. If you think you can do it, you have a way better chance of success.

I think what Shelwoy meant about time is that 4 months isn't really long enough of a taper for your brain to adjust to being without opiates. I was on Sub for close to 2 years, and I spent about a year of that time tapering. It took me almost 4 months to go from 1mg to zero. Tedious, but effective - my withdrawal has been really minimal. I've been off since 8/2 and I feel pretty good, I think because I gave my brain lots of time to down-regulate those extra opiate receptors.

I can't say from personal experience if your Sub withdrawal will be easier because you've only been on it for 2 weeks this time. The acute withdrawal might be less intense, but what happens after that? Everyone is different, so I think the best thing is just to be prepared. Have a plan for what you will do if it gets really hairy or you think you might use. One thing I'd recommend from my personal experience is to have everything you will need ready - easy to make food that's not too harsh on the stomach, your comfort meds, supportive friends, funny movies for distraction. It's hard to take care of yourself if you feel crap, so just try to make it easy for you to do the right thing. Getting rest and exercise was also a HUGE help, as was meditation (still is).

I wish you all the best this weekend; let us know how things go.

PS - are you a Nichiren Buddhist? Just wondering because you mentioned chanting. Also, I posted a video around here somewhere about addiction and attachment. It's good - I'll go try to find a link. Take care!

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:30 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

What I meant by my comment was that you said you were on it for 4 months and in that period of time you tapered to.25mg o a 2mg dose. Suboxone has a half life of approximately 37.50 hours- meaning when you take a specific dose, it takes that long to reach half the amount you initially ingested. For example, If you started your treatment on 8mg on Monday morning, that dose would be at 4mg in your body on Tuesday evening (37.5 hours later), then 2mg on Thursday in the am, then 1mg on Friday in the pm, then .50 at Sunday in the am. It takes roughly a week for a single dose of Suboxone to completely leave the body.
When people do quick tapers that have a history of opiate dependence/relapse, they are not allowing their bodies or brains time to adjust to the changes that come with tapering.In my opinion, you should taper down each dose about every two months (atleast one month, if you are in a hurry for reasons beyond your control). If your relapse was short in duration, I would have tried to just rough it out because all that is happening inside you is like a never ending merry go round. Research shows that the longer your treated, the better chances of staying free of relapse.
It is great that you have strengthened your program, but do you have any support that is in relation directly to your Suboxone treatment? There are reasons to have resources that understand this treatment specifically.Coming here is a great idea. Trust me, I want to see you succeed and achieve long term abstinence, but there may be bumps in the road when a person does not thoroughly coordinate all aspects of their recovery treatment plan. Rushing your progress is not going to be beneficial in the big picture. I know you have a great deal of strength and support and I wish you the best.Know that we are always here if you need our support!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:43 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Shelwoy: I was on the 2mg suboxone, not the 8mg, so I went down to .5mg. I don't think I mentioned that in my other post. But I tapered far too quickly!! I know that now.

Thank you all for your support and kind works of encouragement. I had about 30 left and I got rid of them today. So that's it!!

I have a girlfriend from NA that is in the program with me that is staying the weekend with me and bringing movies and food, etc. I loaded up on Water and Gatorade on my lunch break today.

I have a very strong support group. I am a twelve stepper, I go to NA and personally I love it! I have an amazing sponsor and go to meetings everyday. It works for me, I totally understand it does not work for all. So my recovery is very strong and I have faith. As it seems you all do too which means a lot. Its a hard road, it frickin sucks being and Addict, but that's what I am so I am doing the best I can.

I will give an update tomorrow.

Thanks again all! This place is great support!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:47 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Oh yea, I am a Buddhist, very new to the practice though. I LOVE it. I do believe what we practice is Nichiren Buddhism. It is so powerful and I am really glad I found it.

Post subject: I Feel Great!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:32 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

So, I feel awesome! I had not symptoms of withdrawl at all. I don't know if it was becuase I was on it on such a short period of time or becuase I also had the Requip to help.

I went to 4 meetings this weekend and ran several miles! Also went and chanted. Everything I think helped, but I feel great!

YAY!

Thanks All.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:18 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Keep posting throughout the week to let us know how you are doing! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:51 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Still feel really good. My last Sub was on Friday Morning. I was a little sleepy yesterday, so I lept a little longer than I usually do last night but nothing like I have gone trought before. So much better. But I was also only on it for two weeks this time.

I am back on track training for my next 1/2 Marathon which is Oct. 4th, 2009! YAY!

Thanks all!

Post subject: 10 Days Later?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:42 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I was only on the Sub for about two weeks and was only on opitates for a few weeks before that. I was fine for the first 10 days being off the sub, now today I am a disaster!! What is up with that. W/D's kickin in 10 days later off of sub, is that normal or unheard of?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:44 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

NorCalGirl,

Are you sure its w/d? That would be super-weird. What are you symptoms? Maybe you're just craving or something of that nature?

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:38 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey:

I know, really strange right??!! Well, here is whats going on:

Goose Bumps
    Chills
    Cold Sweats
    Sneazing
    Back Hurts really bad
    Runny Nose
    Foggy Brain

All the usual suspect... . I dunno what to do

I am also craving and wanting to use really bad too! I think I should have listened to you guys when you asked why I was so eager to get off of the sub so quickly...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:17 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I know it sounds silly, but maybe you're getting sick? It doesn't hurt to check your temperature just to see.

Probably not, but hey it'll distract you for a bit!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:56 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Well, I went to the Dr. and I am not sick. I had taken a sub Friday the 21st then I took 1/2 last wednesday cause I was feeling a little sick, then today I felt really sick. It's W/D

So, I decided to get back on the sub for a while. I have been having the worst cravings and I dont want to get loaded! I don't want to die, and that's is where I will end up. I am going to stay on it and taper off right this time.

So, for now I am going to stay on in until I get stonger and some more work on myself.

I am also so excited, where I live they just started a New NA meeting every Tuesday night that is for people like us that is on medication, like suboxone or on pain killers because they had to have surgery or something. Its a place where we can go and get up and share totally and not be judged at all, but most of the people in my fellowship are very understanding but there are some "old timers" still judge.

Thanks for all the support on this long road, from all of you!!