It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Re: Jumping from 24 MG
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:54 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Good luck Melissa may the withdrawals be painless and the light at the end of the tunnel shine the brightest. I too will be there just later than I anticipated. I feel absolutely awesome on 2 mgs and can't believe I was taking 24 mgs in one day. I am not in a fog during work. I plan on doing a taper every week by dropping a half a dose and see how that works. I can always adjust up but should be clean by the second week in November. Everyone in this forum is wonderful and can't wait to be a help once I beat these subs.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:46 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Melissa I stopped cold turkey from 24 mgs last week and felt great until day 5 and 6 when in felt awful and then I read of the long half life to this medicine. I have since gone up to 2 mgs to stabilize and doing better but still have a little WDS

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:49 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Oh my goodness, this makes no sense. Someone wanted to make this as horrible on themselves as possible. I don't understand why someone would jump from such a high long-term dose! You could taper for a while and with the other medications for RLS and sleep you would have been fine. Why make it harder on yourself? I just don't get it. Doing it this way makes relapse so much more likely. I take 4mg a day and have been doing so for 4 months now, and I would never even think of trying to jump from even my lower short-term dose. Just my baffled input, I suppose.

Congrats if you managed, I just would highly advise against this for anyone else reading this.

Update: I read your most recent message and I am glad you are ok. I am also glad you have learned about the half-lifes as to be able to make better taper decisions in the future. My advice now would be to stabilize and taper slowly, that way you don't have to go through this hell unnecessarily again.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:52 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

How you doing today?

"the only way out is through"

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:50 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Morning all, so get this: I talked with my doctor last night and explained what I did and he was a little surprised that I want to quit sub all together. He told me never to quit cold turkey and if the WD's get bad to take a little sliver of the subs. He said to keep going like that and try to skip a day and if you feel like crap to take a small quarter of the sub until I am finally done with it. I am not sure if he is right or I should listen to everyone here. I am holding steady at 2 mgs for the past 5 days and will stay on that dose for another week. I do feel mild RLS going on the 23 hour after the dose. Is this normal? Does this mean that my body has 2 mgs stored at this point? To recap since my last 24 mgs total dose at 5:00 p.m . on 10/6 I have taken a total of 12 mgs since. That is almost 11 days total. I am hoping that my body is getting used to the 2 mgs but doesn't seem to be fully there yet. Maybe it will take a whole month at this dose to not start feeling WD's around the 22 hour mark? This is also funny, I asked my Dr if he thought it was a good idea to prescribe some comfort meds once I do jump and he didn't think it was a good idea. He said to just take a quarter of a little piece and that will be my comfort.....Agree?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:09 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

umass24 wrote:
Morning all, so get this: I talked with my doctor last night and explained what I did and he was a little surprised that I want to quit sub all together. He told me never to quit cold turkey and if the WD's get bad to take a little sliver of the subs. He said to keep going like that and try to skip a day and if you feel like crap to take a small quarter of the sub until I am finally done with it. I am not sure if he is right or I should listen to everyone here. I am holding steady at 2 mgs for the past 5 days and will stay on that dose for another week. I do feel mild RLS going on the 23 hour after the dose. Is this normal? Does this mean that my body has 2 mgs stored at this point? To recap since my last 24 mgs total dose at 5:00 p.m . on 10/6 I have taken a total of 12 mgs since. That is almost 11 days total. I am hoping that my body is getting used to the 2 mgs but doesn't seem to be fully there yet. Maybe it will take a whole month at this dose to not start feeling WD's around the 22 hour mark? This is also funny, I asked my Dr if he thought it was a good idea to prescribe some comfort meds once I do jump and he didn't think it was a good idea. He said to just take a quarter of a little piece and that will be my comfort.....Agree?

I don't see his issue with comfort meds as long as they are not narcotics. My doctor said she would give me something to help sleep with the RLS as long as it wasn't a narcotic. 22 hours is the longest i've been able to go without dosing. I have to dose twice a day, I split mine. I do 4mg a day, so I do 2 in the morning and 2 in the evening. Maybe try splitting your dose, so, 1mg and 1mg. Just an idea, I'm not sure if you would be ok with just 1mg at a time though. Maybe try 1.5-2mg if you did the split method. But yea, you need time to stabilize, going cold turkey is just hard on yourself when its not necessary if you get your suboxone prescribed and not off the street.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:18 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks Visa, I get my subs via prescription so tapering is not an issue.