It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Re: Jumping from 24 MG
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:11 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Morning, day 4 free was a tougher day but MANAGEABLE. The RLS was the worst but I got through it. I slept pretty good last night but deff my worst night of sleep. I worked all day yesterday and had friends over last night. I had a few beers and none could tell if I am in withdrawals probably cuz they don't know but my point is that withdrawing is not some debilitating issue at least not yet. Google Thomas recipe because I started on those vitamins yesterday. I have read the recipe is phenomenal and will keep you all posted later tonight on how my day has gone. It is the first day home with the family free of subs!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:17 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Day 5 free of subs went awesome. I still felt like scrap but MANAGEABLE!!! Slept pretty good last night. Still have RLS but they seem to subsiding. I am so pumped that I have made it this far and taking it day by day. I obviously still have subs in my system but at day 6 is getting very low. I am expecting discomfort for another week or so but nothing to be afraid of!!! Trust me I am a big baby with withdrawal symptoms but if I can get off these you can too.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:26 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Just have to say, you sound awesome for having jumped 6 days ago from 24mgs! That's a gutsy move to say the least. Your attitude seems positive, and that will serve you well throughout this process. I hope that your symptoms stay as manageable as they've been so far for you. Keep posting, we're reading!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:35 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

So my energy really is low. Not low where I can't get out of bed just a feeling of blah and not wanting to accomplish much. Will this last a long time? I am still going to work and hanging with family but find myself more in the recliner than finding things to do like I used to.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:58 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

That low energy, lead suit type of feeling you're talking about, I've read many members talk about after jumping, and unfortunately, from what I read, it sticks around for a while: ( but there's good news too. ..
Even though it's the last thing you feel like doing, exercise or some type of physical activity everyday will help. Most say that the more they got up and moved around or got out for a walk or run, the better they felt. Exercise can even help with rls as well. Just about everyone whose stories I've read here say that exercise/physical activity was the most important thing they did to help feel better during withdrawal and the post acute withdrawal period.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:59 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I can't believe I messed up today. I ended up taking 2mgs and feel better. 5 whole days free then I go and screw it up by doing this. What am I suppose to do tomorrow. Jumping from 24mgs is no Joke just like most of u said. I believed you but didn't want to believe you. Should I do a taper from this 2 mgs or just keep going without taking them and see how long I can take the discomfort. I took between 16~24 mgs for several years. Stopping cold turkey probably isn't the best idea. How much sub is still in my system after taking 2 mgs today and nothing the past 5 days? What should I do? Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:04 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

It was exactly 6 days to the minute until until I took the 2 mgs. How crazy right? I feel ok but not great either.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:28 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

umass-
Don't beat yourself up. I'm sure just about everyone here has a story of how they made a mistake with their withdrawal at one point or another. It really was almost expected that you would have to take a small dose to manage the symptoms. 6 days ago you were taking 24mg a day, now you have taken a total of 2mg in 6 days, I would say that's pretty damn good.

Maybe this is the taper method that will work for you. Go as long as you can, try making it more each time, and if you have to take a small dose. That way your body adjusts to lower dosages without the absolute crash. You didn't fail, we are all on the same journey. We all make different stops.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:42 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Jumping from 24mgs really was a brave undertaking, to say the least, and you made it for 5 days, you at least reduced your tolerance to where 2 mgs made you feel better, so in a sense if you decide to taper now instead of just straight jumping, you've gotten a huge portion of the taper out of the way, so your efforts were certainly not in vain!
Imo, just opinion, mind you, I think a taper from 2 mgs is a better/safer approach. It will not only minimize your discomfort, but also your chances of relapse as well.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:00 pm 

Hey Mass, the others are so right.
Ya just kinda started a taper.
Your do great man. That is a hell of a jump. You ve gone 5 days.

You aren't a failure in our eyes.
Maybe look around here and find an example you could work with?
Keep reading here and over in the Talk Zone blog of Dr j s..

Keep posting..... Razor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:23 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey there-
If it were me, this is what I would do (just my opinion!) Since you went 5 days, and only took 2mgs, I would try to stabalize at 2mgs for a few weeks. I used to split my doses evenly into 3 spread out one at about 7am, one at about 1 or 2 pm and one before bed to help with sleep., and then when I got to .5mg into two doses, 12 hrs. apart. I was trying to keep my system as 'stable" and even as I could before I jumped at .375mgs. If I did it again I'd jump at .5mgs and get it over with faster.

Maybe try 1mg in the morning and 1mg before bed for a few weeks and see how you do?
Good luck and keep posting!
BF

Mahatma Gandhi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:04 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

You did not "fail". You did not screw up. You're human.

I didn't think a jump from that high would end successfully. I think taking that 2mg was a GOOD idea. I would see how far you could go after that dose. A day or 2. Then dose again, see if even 1mg would help ease your symptoms. And go from there. A taper from 1mg is pretty straight forward. I feel like I had a pretty easy taper experience. I'd be happy to share if you'd like.

You're on the right path. You have the right frame of mind. You'll get there. I know it. Just be kind to yourself during this process. Don't demand this hardcore, white knuckle strength. Just be gentle. And I still think you'll need to talk to your wife. Once I was honest with my husband, my recovery was much, much easier.

Good luck!!

"the only way out is through"

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:47 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hey umass how you doing today?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:20 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

So I am listening to everyone's advice and took 2 mgs today. I feel exceptionally well and will continue at 2. Should I stay at 2 mgs for a couple of weeks or less. I really want to get off this drug but want less severe withdrawals. I will not go back to my DOC and have no contact with my previous drug dealers/ friends. It's amazing how powerful this drug is and how great I feel at this low dose. I would have never imagined I would be able to function at this low of a dose.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:13 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I would love to hear your taper method (uwill) thank you

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:29 pm 

Hey UMass,
That's great your feeling better.
The number one rule I've read here is to go slowly.
Give your body and brain time to rid itself of the built up bupe in your system.
Try that 2mgs for a time. Two weeks to a month or more and see where your at.
Also there are many taper threads I n the Stopping forum, take a look around. I'm sure Willbeloved can help you too.

Razor....

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:44 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

umass24 wrote:
I would love to hear your taper method (uwill) thank you

Ok. This was a year ago, so bear with me if my memories are a little cloudy.

I went from 2mg to 1.5mg rather easily. I was still needing to split my dose (it was all in my head though). So I think I took 1.5 for a few weeks. I actually gradually felt the need to lower my dose. Hard to explain but I almost started to feel over medicated. So anyways, got down to 1mg with very few issues. Any issues at this point were purely psychological and I knew it. I think I did stay at 1mg for another few weeks. Then I began to alternate; I'd take 1mg one day and .5mg the next. I did this for a week or two. I read that this helped ease withdrawal even more because of the way sub builds up in your system and leaves. It's slowly happening. My doctor didn't agree with me, but I really felt like it worked. After a couple weeks I found myself being able to stabilize at .5mg. Took me a while and I want to say I stayed there for a few weeks. Then same thing with .25mg; started alternating until it was .25mg daily. It was getting slightly uncomfortable at this point. But really, just a stiff back and legs in the evening. Still slept fine. I then, because it got damn near impossible to split that pill anymore, I began simply putting "dust" or residual powder on my fingertip and putting that under my tongue. This drug is powerful! Even that kept me doing ok.
Then, I stopped. My last dose was 10/31/13 and while it wasn't a walk in the park, I never got "sick". No bowel issues, only mild restless legs. I actually slept ok, too. My sleep was a little broken up, but is was sleeping 8 hours straight after 4 days or so?

My worst complaints were 1. The goose bump skin, particularly my legs. It caused me so much anxiety. I lived in sweatpants. I tried clonodine but it made me debilitatingly tired. I have two small children. I just couldn't do it. And 2. around day 9 or 10 I felt PAWS kick in. I felt sad, hopeless, extremely fatigued. I had no interest in doing anything. My brain was foggy and even going to the store seemed like a daunting ordeal. But, with great advice, I started exercising more. Walking in the cool air, listening to music. I was amazed at how renewed I felt after those walks.

After about two weeks off I felt fine. Looking back, I was still dealing with some symptoms, some fatigue and general blaaaahness. After a month or maybe two, I was golden. I mean, I felt like I'd never even taken an opiate in my life! And I still feel that way. Not one slip, practically zero cravings. I don't struggle with maintaining clean. It feels seamless and effortless.

You need to taper. If you have enough, take your time. It DOES make a difference. And quite honestly, when people say they just can't taper the medication, I have to wonder if they'll be able to stay clean. You have to WANT to be off drugs. And once you're determined to do that, tapering is quite easy. It's like a natural process, ya know?

When I first got off, and felt sad - like there was no way in the world I could do it, I carried around two little pieces of paper. They each had a quote on them and I read them constantly.

The first one was "the only way out is through". I knew that if I truly wanted out of it, I had to live through it. There was no skipping that step. It had to be done.

And the other one was a song lyric I saw here "don't you surrender, sometimes salvation is in the eye of the storm". Don't surrender. Don't give in. You'll feel your "ah-ha" moment - just when you think you can't do it anymore, bam, it's like a light turns on that you didn't even know had gone out.

I'm sorry. That was a long post. :-) but I hope it was helpful. And please, keep us posted! And like always, lots of luck and kindness and love your way.

"the only way out is through"

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:04 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Unbelievable uwill such a great success story and provides a path for me. I will deff be doing this taper but instead of doing it over a month at a level I may do two weeks and see how I do. The past two days being on 2 mgs I haven't needed an alarm and feel very fresh surprisingly. I have very very mild RLS but so manageable. I have a 2.5 yr old at home and another on the way at the end of December. My original goal was to be off of subs by the end of October and feeling better but that seems to much of a lofty goal. You are right as far as the taper goes. If you want to get off the drugs then you can taper. It's mind over matter you just have to have that want to do it. I have read that neurontin works great for RLS? Have a great day!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:06 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

umass24 wrote:
So I am listening to everyone's advice and took 2 mgs today. I feel exceptionally well and will continue at 2. Should I stay at 2 mgs for a couple of weeks or less. I really want to get off this drug but want less severe withdrawals. I will not go back to my DOC and have no contact with my previous drug dealers/ friends. It's amazing how powerful this drug is and how great I feel at this low dose. I would have never imagined I would be able to function at this low of a dose.

Great job getting down to 2mgs and staying there! That is an impressive taper!

And I know how you feel! I was also surprised at how potent suboxone is. When I joined this forum (about 7 months ago now- wow!) I had just dropped from 2mgs to 1mg and I really thought I was hardly taking "any" suboxone, but I learned differently! It took me awhile to stabalize at 1mg, then getting down to .75 got tricky. In retrospect I think getting really stable at 1mg and then jumping is a good plan rather than drawing it out lower and lower, but everyone is different and we each have to do what is going to work for us.

:D BF

Mahatma Gandhi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:25 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

You are doing an awesome job and that poster about looking at all my photos and knowing EXACTLY what I took, how I got it and how I felt when the pic was taken was ME. I have 2 kids 10 and 14 and 6 years were spent chasing the devil and 3 on sub, last 1 in a sub fog and hating it. Im on my full 3rd day of a 2mg jump but prior I was all over the place. I cant taper. I'm an all or nothing girl and Mon I said Screw it and took 8 mg :oops: . Im so scattered I forget what I take and I wasn't always like that, it started around 6mg...it had to stop. So far its not too bad...not as bad as full agonist but I am waiting for the ball to drop still...good luck to you!!