It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:52 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Okay feeling kinda worse this afternoon. Starting to get some (very light but enough to be annoying) gastrointestinal symptoms. I've been sticking with Romeo's suggestion of watching "crazy" TV - you know, the train wreck stuff. Seems to help. Gonna go take a walk and have an NA meeting tonight. My assessment at the recovery center went well. Boy I have never been asked so many questions about my life! They're going to get me into some intensive outpatient care while I'm here so I think that will be a great thing. Man I am not felling great right now. Bleh. Gonna take that walk and hope it perks me up. Love peace and hugs to you all.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:35 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hey newmom--I went to check in with you last night, typed about two words, then my phone rang and got stuck on it for about an hour. First off, congrats on your progress thus far! It sounds like you're doing everything you possibly can be doing right now for yourself physically, mentally, spiritually, etc. I'm on day 5 and don't feel good, but the symptoms are definitely manageable. I too have had only minor GI issues; nothing Pepto can't take care of. You've come a long way and just keep doing what you've been doing!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:22 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hang in there! Its kinda like a roller coaster ride. At least for me anyways. The first 5 days were ok, but I felt shitty days 6 thru basically 11. Draggin ass wicked bad, depressed and zero motivation to do jack shit. One day I was feelin good, 2 hours later, shitty then bounced back later that evening. Every day since like the evening of the 11th, things just kept improving. Day 14 and feel like its finally getting behind me and am through the utmost worst.I am still sweaty, and get chills here and there but doesnt seem like "oh man, just shoot me" anymore!!!!!!!! Brighter days are ahead for all of us who are doing this!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:34 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hey guys,

Day 8, which means week two! Phew, I never woulda thought I coulda made it this far!

Sleep last night was unbelievable. And something really funny happened. I took my usual Lyrica, Unisom, and Valium, and then added Melatonin like Romeo suggested (started with just 1 mg to see how that did). I slept for SIX HOURS! Woke up at 4:37 with a bit of back pain, so I stumbled into the other room where my Mom has been leaving my middle-of-the-night doses and grabbed them - in the dark - watched The 100 and went back to sleep. I woke up FIVE WHOLE HOURS later! And here's the funny part. When I said good morning to my Mom, she said "why didn't you take your second dose of Valium?" And I was like "what?" And she said "it's still in the bowl!" And I went and looked and sure enough it was there. In the dark I must not have seen it. Which means I for my second half of sleep ONLY on Unisom and Advil!

Feeling great this morning like I usually do after a good night sleep. "Roller coaster" ride is right. I find myself crashing emotionally pretty badly in the afternoons, because they just seem to drag on and on and on. My NA/AA meetings don't start until 7 so that's usually what I'm waiting for. Maybe today I'll take that walk a little bit earlier and see if I can stave off the afternoon depression a bit.

Hang in there to those of you who are walking the same path as I am. We CAN do this, and we WILL do this!!! Think of that beautiful light at the end of the tunnel when your life will no longer have to revolve around this stuff!!!!! And thank you for your support!!!

Peace and love and hugs to all you guys!!! <3<3<3

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:00 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Ahhh, I didn't know you were on Lyrica. Lyrica (Pregabalin) is similar to Neurontin (Gabapentin) and we've had many people on the forum use Neurontin to help ease wd.

I'm glad to hear you're doing well. Keep hanging in there!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:48 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Yeah I think the Lyrica and Clonadine are key for me. It's amazing. I feel so fortunate to have this medical support. I also feel so fortunate to have you guys' support! :-)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:20 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Day 8 completed successfully! I actually bad a great day with my spirits up all day. I took am earlier than usual walk that staved on my afternoon mood crash. After I came in I felt focused enough to start working on my first step, and went to a meeting tonight. Felt much stronger today than yesterday. No GI stuff. No RLS. Minimal chills.

Hope everyone else is hanging in there as well!!! Peace and love and hugs!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:05 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Newmomsf wrote:
Day 8 completed successfully! I actually bad a great day with my spirits up all day. I took am earlier than usual walk that staved on my afternoon mood crash. After I came in I felt focused enough to start working on my first step, and went to a meeting tonight. Felt much stronger today than yesterday. No GI stuff. No RLS. Minimal chills.

Hope everyone else is hanging in there as well!!! Peace and love and hugs!

Wow, 8 days! Congrats!! Really glad to hear the wdls aren't too bad, and your spirits are high!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:55 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Morning everyone (yeah still morning here - I'm further out West than even the PST)

Had a decent night again last night. I am so pleased that it's day 9. I am just starting to accept the idea that these withdrawals are not going to be nearly as difficult as I feared. Until now, every day when I went to bed I couldn't help but have the thought "when I wake up tomorrow it's finally all going to hit me and I'm gonna wanna die" but each day that hasn't happened. In fact, I'd say days 5-7 were probably the toughest so far, and they weren't that bad. Pretty cool stuff, dude. I am one happy camper.

How is everyone else feeling today? I'll probably post again later.

Peace and love and hugs!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:49 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi everyone,

Thanks for keeping up with my thread. It's day 10 for me, after my jump from 6 mg of sub. You know what? I feel fantastic and I am pretty sure I'm through the worst of it. With the help of the Clonadine patch, a multivitamin, B6, the very occasional dose of immodium, one very low dose of nightly Lyrica, 1-2 low dose Valium at night (spaced apart 6 hours of course), 1 mg of melatonin, and a couple extra strength Unisom, I have been experiencing zero withdrawal for the last two and a half days. The main thing is waking once in the middle of the night (sleeping in 4-5 hour chunks) and my energy had been very very sapped. However, today I went to church, felt an amazing surge in energy after, and... RAN TWO MILES TODAY!

You know, I had been taking walks days 3-9 when my energy was most sapped, but today with the higher energy I gathered my courage and decided to try out that run I've been wanting to do. After all, running is my thing. Before getting lost in the throes of my addiction I was a distance runner, track & field/cross country and just local road racing. And I was good at it! So, feeling some return of my energy today, I pulled up my britches and said "self, let's give this a shot." And I went out onto that beautiful rural road I've been walking on and started a slow jog. AND I RAN TWO MILES!!!!

Granted, it took me 28 minutes, and at my peak I can go four or more miles in that time, but - I still did it. I feel great now. Sitting in the bath happy as a clam.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:13 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

YOU GO GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YAY! Once you get to the 10/11 day mark, it eases up tremendously and everything is so much more clearer and manageable. 16 days for me and feeling great as well. I wish I could jog or run but got one of those bionic ankles filled with titanium plates, screws and wires so cant do it =( hurts to much so walking is it for me!

Baths are awesome during this time. I took 1 sometimes 2 a day during my roughest days and felt much better after.

you are doing great, keep it up!!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:49 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

16 days, that's great trainer!!! How nice is it to look back from the other side of the storm? Phew!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:41 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You're not far behind me and hats off to your bad ass for jumping at 6 mg. Holy shit I thought 2 mg was gonna do me in.

Warrior!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:29 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Newmomsf wrote:
Hi everyone,

Thanks for keeping up with my thread. It's day 10 for me, after my jump from 6 mg of sub. You know what? I feel fantastic and I am pretty sure I'm through the worst of it. With the help of the Clonadine patch, a multivitamin, B6, the very occasional dose of immodium, one very low dose of nightly Lyrica, 1-2 low dose Valium at night (spaced apart 6 hours of course), 1 mg of melatonin, and a couple extra strength Unisom, I have been experiencing zero withdrawal for the last two and a half days. The main thing is waking once in the middle of the night (sleeping in 4-5 hour chunks) and my energy had been very very sapped. However, today I went to church, felt an amazing surge in energy after, and... RAN TWO MILES TODAY!

You know, I had been taking walks days 3-9 when my energy was most sapped, but today with the higher energy I gathered my courage and decided to try out that run I've been wanting to do. After all, running is my thing. Before getting lost in the throes of my addiction I was a distance runner, track & field/cross country and just local road racing. And I was good at it! So, feeling some return of my energy today, I pulled up my britches and said "self, let's give this a shot." And I went out onto that beautiful rural road I've been walking on and started a slow jog. AND I RAN TWO MILES!!!!

Granted, it took me 28 minutes, and at my peak I can go four or more miles in that time, but - I still did it. I feel great now. Sitting in the bath happy as a clam.

That's really cool, that you RAN two miles! Especially that you're up to it, so soon from a high jump! I'm sorta envious, I used to run cross country in high school (and played hockey), but after messing up my ankle on the 8 mile a day training runs, I had to give it up the last season. Now, after my broken up foot injury last winter, not sure I'll ever be able to run, particular competition, although my stride has returned to normal finally, and foot seems to have mended well, so maybe, And doubt I'll have chronic pain issues from it. Maybe arthritis on rainy days when I'm old, but doesn't everybody have similar aches and pains when their old, if they are lucky to live long. I get my aerobics in from mostly from bicycle riding, these days. Now my frikkin' arm/shoulder is messed up though. So will have to try walking to keep in shape that way, for awhile. Going fast and seeing more scenery per mile on a bike is exhilarating at times though :( I could try riding one-handed, but doubt its a good idea. I ride on the roads in traffic a lot, and need as much control as possible (even though both hands didn't do me much good when I wiped out and broke arm, but, maybe it did, it could have been worse).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:16 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Boop - Man, I'm sorry about your ankle issues. Seems likes there are a few of you here, right, trainer? I'm gonna be extra careful on my runs because I do not want to complicate the medical conditions I already have.

So HELLO ALL and good morning DAY 11! Still lying here in bed typing this but trust me, that's a good thing. Because normally my back hurts so bad in the morning I have to get up!

I am waiting for a call from the Recovery Center today because they are supposed to be setting me up with "intensive outpatient treatment." While the NA/AA 'meetings help tremendously, I will appreciate the extra support because I have a lot to get off my chest, I have a lot of things in my past I need to work through, and keeping busy with that should make the days go faster.

But most of all - I gotta figure out how to live an opiate free life! Seriously, assuming any of you guys are recovering pain medication addicts like me - while in the midst of active addiction didn't any of you wonder how the Hell everyone else made it though life without "rewarding" themselves by popping pills every few hours? Okay maybe I'm the only one but boy did that baffle me. It's been a bit better since on the sub, even though I was abusing it, because of the ceiling effect and you can't just keep taking it to get high. But still, I gotta learn how to "do" life like a normal person. It's been thirteen long years of alcoholism and drug addiction. I've always been good at hiding it - made it through college, professional school (haha I took my board exam high on oxy - thank god I passed), and now have a white collar career that can be incredibly stressful and requires very long hours (60-80 per week) so I got some learnin' to do! And inside I'm just the same as everyone else who has struggled with this disease, whether they are homeless, housewives, high school kids, or mechanics and this is why the NA/AA meetings help me. And starting the steps.

Okaaayyyy not sure where that tangent came from but feeling introspective and insightful this morning. That's a good sign, right? ;-)

Thanks again to those of you following my thread. I am blessed to call you my friends.

Peace and love and hugs

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:48 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Introspective and insightful does sound good, you have to be feeling pretty sharp to be insightful.

Have a great day.

-- JI

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:16 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thanks Johnny :-)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:19 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Anyone watching the US World Cup game right now? Great material to keep your mind of wd's, whichever stage you're in!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:07 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Day 12 and feeling even better! Gonna go for another run today (even though it appears to be raining right now, bleh). Wish I had another USA World Cup game to watch today to keep my mind busy but that's okay. :-) Since my ability to concentrate seems to have returned since day 7, I can read books or watch TV that has a little more substance than Survivor and The Real World "Ex-Plosion." Yeah, I was watching that at my most down moments *hangs head in shame.*

Today I have two counseling appointments, so that should be good, plus and NA meeting, and possibly a doctor's appointment to check in, if I can get one. And tomorrow I start my Intensive Outpatient Therapy which lasts from 9:30-2!!!! After a week of that, plus the nighttime meetings, I know I'll be ready to go home to my family.

Anyway, not sure if anyone is following this thread anymore, but it's cathartic to check in each day and write.

Peace and love and hugs.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:14 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I found that listening to music was much more relaxing, stimulating, and all around enjoyable than watching TV at this stage (and that's saying a lot because I am a tv junkie.) Are you using it as a tool to get through your days? It really helps. I would keep one earbud in at all times. At work, around the house, outside.. etc. Obviously in the car and even when I would take a bath or shower. I got one of the jam box thingies that connects to your phone. Anyway, that was the single best motivator for me for the first 6 months, but especially the first couple months.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next