It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 4:29 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

So I'm going to write a a little bit about where I am and what I'm doing.

I was an IV heroin user for roughly five years, after a few years experimenting with all kinds of other drugs including prescription opiates and even suboxone, before I knew what it was. In April of 2011 I had my last hit of heroin, and spent my first week sober in jail. When I got out of jail I got started on a 24mg per day dose of suboxone. I dropped it down to 16mg at about 2 weeks, then continued to decrease steadily for a long time. I don't really remember what my dosages were as time went on but it feels like I was sitting at about 1mg for about a year.

In my early sobriety I spent a lot of time with other people in recovery, mostly going to AA meetings, but I made friends with a lot of other addicts. I had three different AA sponsors but I never went through with the steps. I haven't been to a meeting in a long time, and haven't really talked to any of the people I met in those meetings, a lot of the addicts I'd connected with fell off the face of the earth, and now I guess I have too.

Anyways it's been over 3 years now, and on my most recent visit with my doc, at the beginning of this month she said it sounded like it was time for me to get off of it completely. I agree with my doctor, in fact I never thought I'd be on it nearly this long, but it's amazing how much a difference these little amounts can make, and I'm a little worried what it's going to be like without taking it.

My doctor said that I should shoot for being off of it completely around the end of this month, so I've been taking .25mg a day for the last couple days, and plan to keep doing that right up until the last day of the month, and just take nothing starting on the first.

It's hard though. I get a lot of sleep disturbances when I'm not properly dosed. I'll stay up too late, or wake up really early, it's impossible for me to keep a sleep schedule. On top of that my primary withdrawal symptom has always been lack of energy. So when I am awake I am not active. I'm going to try to get out for some walks.

I've got a pretty easy life at the moment though, so it's a good time for me to jump. I'm just taking one college class, and not working.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 4:06 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

you should have very little issue coming off. I cant tell you your sleep will improve, but after some time it will. I would expect 1-7 acute days but not too bad. Hell you may not even feel it. I would not plan on sitting around to find out. Keep busy doing something, exercise, listen to a lot of music, post, just try to keep busy, hell even watch movie anything to pass time, and I think you will be quite surprised and not have much trouble. your at a great jumping dose...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:25 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Yeah keeping busy does help, but I only have so much ability to keep up with it. I've stuck with my plan, so this is day 2, well day 3 I guess since it's 2am. I am sleeping more, but sleeping erratically, like I'll sleep for three hours and wake up. I'm extremely lazy right now so I'm having a hard time keeping myself well fed with decent food (It's tough because I'm a vegan). I have a final exam tonight, and a speech in two days, so the timing isn't super good, but once I get past those two things I'm going to really be on easy street as far as my obligations go. I need to find a summer job but it can wait a week. I'm going to probably be reading a lot while I'm sleepless.

This is only my second time trying to come off suboxone, and last time it was from I think 2 or maybe 3mg per day. The last time I had these same problems, but I also had a lot of what might be considered anxiety. It was like a restless mind kind of thing where if I'd try to sit and read a book I'd get really tired of it like halfway through each page, and have to will myself to keep reading. Luckily I haven't been experiencing anything like that this time. Just really mild body aches and the sleep and laziness issues.

My allergies got really bad today when I was playing outside with my daughter, so much that I had to come inside. I haven't had allergy issues like that since I was a kid. I actually went and got some generic claritin at the store, and I've never taken allergy medicine in my life. I am guessing that the allergies are related to the withdrawal because I can't think of any other reason really that it would be hitting me like this.

This is really random but I remember reading, I think in the book "Junkie" by William Burroughs, that he thought that antihistamines worked to curb withdrawal symptoms. Well in my case it doesn't seem to be doing anything. But William Burroughs was a writer and a junkie, not a doctor.

Well I'm going to try to get some sleep, or go study for my final.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:10 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks for your post, I'm down to .75 mg/day of Suboxone, and hope to work down to .25 mg/day within a couple weeks, before I start skipping days.

FWIW I've been active in AA and CA (I qualify for membership in most of the A's, lol) for a couple, and I went through the steps with a really good sponsor after Christmas. I've found it to be a huge help, especially in terms of dealing with the emotional rollercoaster that I've been on since dropping to 1 mg/day.

-- JI

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:15 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Go as slow as you need to if you have the choice, it took me a long time to get from .75 to .25.

I sometimes consider going back to twelve step meetings. I like having people to talk to, I'm pretty anti religion though. I'm very much agnostic, and unwilling to "resign from the debating society" or whatever it is they say in the big book.

I've gotten a lot out of those meetings though, and I would recommend them to anyone having trouble staying clean. The people at those meetings, in my area at least, are friendly, wise, helpful, and many of them really have been clean and sober for more than 20, 30, 40 years.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:15 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

urata wrote:
Go as slow as you need to if you have the choice, it took me a long time to get from .75 to .25.

I sometimes consider going back to twelve step meetings. I like having people to talk to, I'm pretty anti religion though. I'm very much agnostic, and unwilling to "resign from the debating society" or whatever it is they say in the big book.

I've gotten a lot out of those meetings though, and I would recommend them to anyone having trouble staying clean. The people at those meetings, in my area at least, are friendly, wise, helpful, and many of them really have been clean and sober for more than 20, 30, 40 years.

Hi urata, welcome and thanks for posting! :D That is FANTASTIC that you are at .25mgs! You should be truly proud of yourself! I'm at .5mgs and .25mgs is my next goal on the horizon- it ain't easy, but I've read lots of success stories here so it sure can be done, especially if you have gotten down to such a low dose you shouldn't have too many problems when you eventually jump (from what I have read- not there myself yet). I totally hear you about AA/NA and "religion". When I was first introduced to 12 step programs, that part totally turned me off as I was pretty angry at "God" (or "Higher Power"), and also not even sure if He existed. I HATED it when they said they were NOT a religion, and then ended meetings with "The Lord's Prayer". I know not all meetings do this, but many did, and of course there is always the 'serenity prayer" so yah, it is a religion. Eventually I found my resistance was a barrier to my own recovery though, and finally let God in (for a long long time I only just let myself believe in the "possibility" of a "higher power"). So, maybe I'm opening a big can of worms by addressing God and religion, but just wanted to share that personally I have found quite a bit of strength and peace from "giving in" and letting God work in my life. I don't go to meetings anymore, there is still a lot that is there that is just not for me, but I think if you can, you should go and take what works for you, and leave what doesn't. Or maybe just keep posting here, find support, and reach out to others (I believe it is the" reaching out" part that keeps us sober). Although I am not totally "sober" now, I have had long periods of sobriety, and for me, most of that was because of God- I couldn't do it by myself. Also, I was only able to successfully taper after a lot of prayer, then one day it just started to "happen". So, sorry if I got a little 'preachy', but just trying to help. Again, great job, 'welcome' and keep posting!!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:30 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

So I've stuck through with it and it's getting better. I have gone over a week! I wouldn't say the acute withdrawal is over yet but it is becoming less of a big deal. My sleep has not improved, which is partially due to my increased consumption of coffee. I'm on this thing now where I will sleep twice a day for 3 or 4 hours at a time. Not really on any kind of schedule except that you can bet I'm awake between the hours of 1-5am which is like the opposite of the way it should be right? Hah.

I think caffeine is my last crutch, I leaned on it heavily when I quit smoking a couple years ago. I'm drinking a cup of coffee as I write this, and I'd say I have 3 or 4 very large cups of coffee every day, which comes out to almost a pot and a half when I'm making it at home.

Besides the coffee and the claritin I'm not taking anything. It's a weird feeling when I start to notice withdrawal symptoms and I'll have a moment where I forget that I'm not taking my suboxone. Like my eyes will be watery, or my legs are aching and I'm like "Oh I need to take my meds... err oh yeah."

I'm really happy to be out of class for the summer. That was my biggest hurdle for stopping suboxone. I kept thinking maybe I should just wait one more week, but I was ready so I did it.

With regards to your comments rca, I went through a period where I was "believing in believing" but I just didn't feel I was getting much from it. I think the best thing I did get out of AA was just realizing that other people had something to offer me.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:07 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hi! I just caught up reading your posts, and huge congrats on making it a week! When I read about jumps like yours without any type of prescribed comfort meds, I feel like a big old pansy whenever I complain about symptoms because I have the two meds that pretty much help the most for any type of opiate withdrawal. I can relate a lot to you; I have a daughter, in school, and not vegan but vegetarian. I bought some "Raw Fit" from Sprouts, which is a vegan, high protein, all vegetable derived powder that I mix with Almond Milk, a banana, and chia seeds. I don't have much of an appetite so I've been drinking a lot of those plus juicing. Oh, by the way, today was my last day at .25 and I am jumping tomorrow (Monday). I didn't necessarily stabilize completely at .25, but I did manage to space my doses out 24 hours the last few days, which was a huge deal as I usually started feeling funky about 8 hours after my morning dose.

If you can, I would cut back on the caffeine. That is a huge crutch for me as well, but I have gotten down to one, weak cup in the morning and that's it. I used to drink coffee in the afternoons daily, but it made the sleeplessness during the taper period twice as bad. Are you taking anything OTC for sleep? Or any all natural stuff? Anyways, you are tough as nails for making it this far without meds, school, and taking care of a little one! Much respect! Keep posting--it's not only good for you, but good for the rest of us to see other people making it!