It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Jumped off @ 4mg - day 6
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 1:14 am 
New Poster
New Poster

It is day 6 for me today and I think I can see the light at the end of the tunnel now. Ive had the obvious wd symptoms and I would say day 3/4 were the hardest so far. I am an emotional wreck right now. I don't sleep and the anxiety comes and goes. I am so hoping that day 7 will be better but Im not fully convinced that the worst is over yet. I am done being a slave to opiates. 7 years is a long time and cant believe that Ive been addicted that long. I know I jumped off at a high dose but I couldn't even make my script last a full month...for 3 years. I need to be free from the chains of suboxone! Thanks for any support and kind responses. Ill check in tomorrow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:58 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Rum, I wish you the very best of luck. Glad you can see the light! I am hoping your WD symptoms ease quickly, and that you can start sleeping.
I'm going down slower. Am at 1 mg for over a week now, down from 3 mg back in early April. I have been very pleasantly surprised at the mild WD's I have experienced going down in 0.5 mg steps. I won't be going any further from here - long story short I'm having surgery next week that will require regular narcotics for less than 2 weeks. Not sure what I'm going to do about my suboxone after the surgical pain eases. It would sure be nice to have suboxone in my past - unless depression and cravings return. Subs have worked beautifully for me for 4-5 years, but I sure would like to be living life completely opiate free!
I hope you are bolstering your jump with NA or AA meetings. I'm an OLD addict - 59. I was raised on the 12 steps and they have helped me immensely over the years.
If you don't have a crew off 12 step friends, I hope you have supportive family and friends helping you ease your way.
Again, good luck to you, may you get comfortable soon!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 2:48 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

It will come in time, the worst part physically is OVER, friend. It's all mental now and I always kept count of how many days I had gone because it motivated me not to fuck it up.

The mental game goes on for months, but trust me, even that goes away in time too. All it is is your brain switching back to normal, and one day it will just hit you how good it feels to be alive and normal again. It takes a while, trust me, and it seems endless, but after a month or two, you will really start to feel the difference in your life.

Whenever you think of going bad, go to a mall or go to a store and buy yourself something that you'd normally buy drugs with. It will really amaze you that you will be able to do stuff like that now. Little things like that clear that mental hurdle.

Good luck!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Day 4 off suboxone
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 3:48 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

This isn't my first time getting off opiates, but it's my first time getting off suboxone. I was on it for 6 months and tapered down to 1 mg and now I'm on my 4th day without any. How long will this physical part last? Is it different for everyone? I know the physical pains of getting off opiates cold turkey in the past lasted about a week to two weeks...is this the same for suboxone? My 3rd night without them was last night and I sweat all night and continued to sweat all day. For some reason that's the worst part for me! There's nothing worse than sweating while sitting down doing NOTHING! So, obviously tonight is my first night being unable to sleep...the past 3 nights i slept like a rock...the first two nights i didn't sweat at all, but last night it started and hasn't stopped.....anyone have any idea how long i should expect this part? i know what to expect mentally, and that it lasts longer than the physical, but i just feel like this is going to last forever because the half life is so insanely long! i'm on day 4 technically, but it's like day 1????
i'm a vegetarian with a pretty "clean" diet other than the suboxone so i've been avoiding sugar, drinking tons of filtered water, green tea, spirulina, probiotic, fruits/veg (organic), Hyland's mag/phos, Hyland's kali/phos, vitamin B complex, alpha lipoic acid supplement, CoQ10, milk thistle, omega 3s, l-tyrosine in the AM, 5-htp in the PM, immodium as needed, and epsom salt baths when i can convince myself to get undressed because i'm freezing wearing LAYERS of clothes--and it's hot here in Georgia! anyway, I just needed some suggestions, detox experiences, words of encouragement, anything. thanks so much <3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:00 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hey isaydig,

I have yet to complete a detox from suboxone, but i can tell you from reading over and over again that the acute wds last a bit longer than a full agonist opiate detox. Im pretty sure its because of that ridiculously long half life, but its also that ridiculously Long half life that make it possible to feel stability on the drug and makes it a bit easier to taper than a full agonist. Most people seem to agree that a suboxone detox is more mild than a full agonist, but the time spent in wd is a bit longer.

I have a ways to go before i quit taking/tapering suboxone, i know i still need to do some work on myself before i have a good chance at staying clean afterwards. Im confident ill get there with time though. Im still working on getting over the shame i have from being in active addiction, but im getting there. I could really benefit from seeing a therapist or counselor to help me work through shit, but right now im uninsured and i def dont have the funds to pay for that on my own. What i can do on my own though, is make sure im getting the proper nourishment for mind and body through eating healthy and taking supplement, and of course excercise. Im TRYING to forgive mysekf for some things i did before my addiction began and some of the things i did in active addiction.

It sounds like your head is in the right place though, you have the right mindset to make it through this. I know the sweating can be annoying and the temperature regulation issues, just try to keep making yourself excercise even though your brain is probably telling you to just sit there and do nothing. Anything that will release endorphins can really help you!( you have been an addict for awhile, so you've been around the block a few times im sure you know this already, but ill say it anyway maybe it will help the op) And the hot baths can help ease you aches and pains and just help you relax. Great job so far to you and the op. You can do this!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 2:32 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Beautiful Disaster,

Thanks for the kind words...I know we're in the same boat, but have you ever tried to work through the 12 steps with a sponsor? The fifth step is where i felt the most relief from all the years of guilt, shame and remorse...and resentments that ate my lunch on a daily basis.

If you're interested in Buddhist philosophy in relation to recovering from addiction check out Darren Litttljohn's book called 'The 12 Step Buddhist"...and there are tons of other books for people who have a hard time with Christianity or religion (like me). Buddhism is perfect for me. The Buddha even told his students that if anything he said didn't jive with their beliefs, then just ignore those particular teachings. THAT'S what hooked me. i could take what helped me and leave the rest behind until i was ready to take another look at it, or not.

Good luck. I can tell you have a huge heart <3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:03 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hey isaydig

are you still around. how have you been doing, i have not seen a post from you in awhile

Are you still kicking the wds ass?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:48 am 
New Poster
New Poster

seaonasdad wrote:
It will come in time, the worst part physically is OVER, friend. It's all mental now and I always kept count of how many days I had gone because it motivated me not to fuck it up.

The mental game goes on for months, but trust me, even that goes away in time too. All it is is your brain switching back to normal, and one day it will just hit you how good it feels to be alive and normal again. It takes a while, trust me, and it seems endless, but after a month or two, you will really start to feel the difference in your life.

Whenever you think of going bad, go to a mall or go to a store and buy yourself something that you'd normally buy drugs with. It will really amaze you that you will be able to do stuff like that now. Little things like that clear that mental hurdle.

Good luck!
:D