It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:37 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I'll be brief, but wanted to shed some positive light to most of the, well....un-positive experiences with getting off this stuff. I had a few posts a while back addressing tapering, mostly questions pertaining to how to taper and ultimately get off Suboxone. To all those that helped and were there for me THANK YOU.

To the point..

My last dose of around .5 (I say "around" because I never did the liquid method so was kinda guessing at the mg). Saturday afternoon 2/26/2011, its now 3/3/1011 3 in the afternoon. This may just be me, but so far, 5 or so days in I have had virtually ZERO w/d symptoms. The one and only thing that bugs the shit out of me is the anxiety at night trying to sleep. Even that is so bareable its almost not worth mentioning. I compare it to drinking half cup of coffee before you try and hit the sack. Just an irritating buzz in your body keeping you up when you know you’re tired as hell and just wanna go to sleep.

I totally know that EVERYONE is different, and i may be one of the lucky few that aren’t hit with the wd's hard....I dunno. I also could be in for some crazy wd's that kick in on day 10 or somethin and this is just the calm before the storm....I doubt that, but I've never done this before so wont try and speculate.

I guess my point being, is if you're sceptical/scared/anxious to walk away from this stuff (as I most certainly was) and you've done your research and are tapered where you want to be, just do it. See what happens. Keep some extra sub around and if the wd's get all crazy, take a sub and regroup/restratagize. But ITS NOT THAT BAD, and this isnt just coming from me alone, I talk to a LOT of people, this board, other boards, people in groups I attend, etc. and can tell you truthfully that 9 out of 10 that have stopped sub at a fairly low dose have very, very minimal wds.

Also, for anyone new that is interested in a lil history with me and this stuff, it goes as follows:

Was on Methadone 100+mgs for over 5 years, stopped cold turkey for 6 days, went to a detox facility for 5 days where they gave me subutex. Got out of the detox and was on suboxone for around 4 months. Averaged 4-5mgs of sub for those 4 months, last of which I tapered myself down to .5 or so within 3 weeks then stopped.

Any questions or comments are definitely welcome! Thanks again to any and all that helped me through this process, you know who you are and I can honestly say that over half my motivation and at least 90% of my knowledge on the sub subject came from this board alone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:52 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey wickd,

That's a great post! Thanks for sharing.

BTW, I'd be shocked if your wd's all of a sudden "kicked in". You tapered down to a low dose, jumped and are more than 5 days out....you might experience some mild wd, as you are now, but for it to get worse....I just can't see it happening.

Congratulations and remember you have to be ever vigilant to maintain your sobriety.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:06 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks so much for sharing your experience with us. It's great to have a positive experience amidst all the crazy, negative ones - "Sub withdrawal makes your nose fall off!"

I would say one of the keys to your success was your low taper. You gave your body time to adjust to the lower dosage and it worked well for you. YAY YOU! Again , thanks for sharing.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Fantastic
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:01 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

That is such great news!! Another success story of tapering low and not wanted to die when you jumped....

I'm especially happy to hear you jumped at .5 and felt okay. I'm at 1.25 now and .5 is not all that far off. I've been thinking I'd have to taper to .125. I'd love to be able to jump at .5 and be decently okay. I don't care about insomnia, unless I don't sleep for days in a row. I mean, I can handle the insomnia...of course I care about it :wink: I wonder if I need to taper lower because I've been on Sub longer or if I can just taper to the same as you (.5) and remain there until I get good and comfy and then jump. I wonder if the length of time I've been on Sub (six friggin' years :shock: ) will make it harder for me.

laddertipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:53 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Thanks everyone for the positive responses and encouragement, which in itself helped me tremendously in my recovery journey!

Ladder - I have no experience with the duration of usage affecting WD’s in any respect, but I do know this.... I was on Methadone 100+mgs for 5 years, and I’m told that the WD from that alone could last MONTHS. This would mean that I still potentially could be experiencing WD symptoms from the methadone as of right now.

If I remember correctly you were on the evil "done" yourself, correct? To me, and this is by no means a medical fact, I think that if one was to stabilize on a fixed mg of sub for a fair amount of time, I can’t see why the length of time that individual has actually been on the drug would factor in. For example; let's say that sub has a 37hr half life, meaning that 74 hrs after your last dose of sub, it would be completely out of your system. To me, with my very limited to almost non existent medical knowledge on the subject, it would make sense that if you took sub for a day or a yr it would still be out of your system 74hrs post dosage. But, brain chemistry and the "re-wiring" they speak of could play a huge role, who knows. But if that was the case, my brain having been on 100+mgs of Methadone for 5+ years would have the same proclaimed "negative and drawn-out WD effect". I dunno, I’m probably thinking too much into this, but just wanted to let you know that from a fellow Methadone - Sub user, I’m doing great after stopping at .5 and don’t think I would feel that much worse/different if I jumped at 1.5 (just my opinion, as I know everyone is different). PM me if you have any other questions or thoughts, I’m here for ya!

Moving right along (sorry for the drawn out post) I know that most talk about "listen to your body", and I whole heartedly believe that philosophy. But at the same time, every SINGLE person here on this board that is trying to get off this stuff is going to experience some sort of discomfort. Be that in the mildest or most extreme form of WD symptoms; insomnia, anxiety, loss of appetite, etc.

I say that because I’m afraid that the people that ARE determined to get off will sense the slightest bit of discomfort and get all up in their head with it and as a result continue with the sub maintenance out of fear of what’s to come....I know I was. (not that sub maint. is a bad thing for some, I’m just talking about those looking to get off completely).

I’m not gonna lie, days 4-5 and today haven’t been "normal" by any stretch of the imagination. But at the same time, as many others have said, its ABSOLUTLEY tolerable and if I didn’t have it in my head that I was in WD, I would most likely brush off these "symptoms" as something I ate or some sort of mild cold.

If nothing else, I hope that in some small way I can ease some anxiety ridden, fearful minds thinking and forecasting the worst. I know everyone is different, but c'mon guys we're all human and it can’t be all THAT different of an experience. And if it is, yes, you're the exception, not the rule.

Regardless, plan ahead, have some sub on hand along with "comfort" drugs prior to stopping. What’s the absolute WORST that could happen?? I mean honestly guys?? You have a super horrible WD experience, can’t function or think and go grab a piece of your "reserve" sub or whatever, get straight and regroup....

So, I guess the moral here is PLAN ahead, have a strategy, a backup, etc. If all that is in place, jump....whether it be at 8mg or .1mg. As I’ve said, worst that can happen is you have to take some more sub and now you know where you stand if/when you try again to walk across that street.... just a couple of pennies I had lying around.

Hope I didn’t come off too direct or abrasive, as ALL of you have helped me tremendously though my journey with being on and getting off sub and I can’t thank you all enough....And I mean that whole heartedly.

I don’t plan on bailing from this forum; I will stick around if anyone has any questions or anything. I know I was more interested in "success" stories rather than hearing how I was going to go visit Lucifer if I CT'd at 1mg. So as all of you already have, if I can be of ANY help please don’t hesitate to post up or PM.

Thanks again for all the support!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:56 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

What you said is so true. It's very easy to start focusing on what side effects I'm having and that was the biggest barrier I had to get through. Every single time I taper, there are side effects. However, they always go away, so I try to ignore them and distract myself. The worst thing you can do it sit around and focus on them!! I'm not terrified anymore. I feel like, yes, it's gonna suck at times, but it will not kill me, and I can do it. Last night, my legs flipped out. Not so much restlessness, but pain....aching nerve pain. Today I have a lovely headache AND my legs still ache. Whatever, though, because it will go away, and I'm gonna take some Alleve today to help me out. I've gotten good results from breathing techniques...I guess you could call it meditation. I do that when I'm not feeling good and I'm trying to sleep. I do the slow, deep breathing/clear your mind thing, and normally I can deep breath myself to sleep.

laddertipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:52 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Very encouraging to hear your story. Thanks for posting. How long were you at .5mg before you finally jumped? Were you experiencing any withdrawal symptoms at that dose? How was getting down to .5? Difficult? Easy? Thanks for any info.

I have my jump date set and want to be as prepared as possible.

Post subject: Fantastic!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:51 pm 

I too want to say Thank You for sharing your experience with all of us. It is so great to hear a success story with minimal withdrawal symptoms. You gave so many of us hope and encouragement to taper and stop w/o worrying ourselves sick.

Congrats and keep us up to date.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:33 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

To all that have thanked me and provided encouragement, your welcome and THANK YOU!

Im not going to post hypocritical responses and threads though, so please know that even on day twenty something Im still having this pain in the ass anxiety issue that I've been working to over come. PLEASE, PLEASE do not let this scare or detour anyone looking to make the jump. I've outlined my "issue" in a thread just above this one. Its nothing crazy, just "on going".

So to those looking for a story that isnt riddled with agonizing symptoms post jump, this is the place to be....we are all going to go through SOMETHING, but it can SO be done and in my case specifically was NOT and is NOT that bad.

I wish you all the best and thank you so much for your continuied support!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:40 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Thank you, thank you for a very positive story! I am in my taper now and am down to 12 mg/day from 24 mgs day in 3 weeks. My doctor assured me that I was not going to have a problem and I have two friends that have come off and did very well. It was still disheartening to see all the "horror" stories posted all over the internet.

I'm very happy for you and hope that you are continuing to do well. The feeling of freedom has got to be awesome!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:04 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

ClearAqua -

Congrats on the 24 -12 reduction, thats 50% in under a month...impressive!!

I dont know if this effect was isolated to myself, but what was weird with me was that i actually felt BETTER as i tapered. If I had known how much better i would have felt at 1mg rather than 6-8mg, i would have just started at 1mg. i know that sounds crazy that less would make me feel better, but i swear it did. In my case, I honestly didnt feel a thing WD wise other than some occasional morning anxiety and a tad of depression until i actually jumped. And the jump has been cake in my opinion. I know I have some "symptoms" and have addressed those, but the whole process has not been bad at all, honest.

You and all others on here tapering/jumping are going to do great and be just fine!! :o)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:58 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

1wickd6...thanks for the vote of confidence! I believe you....at 24mgs/day, I could nod out at the drop of a hat. I realize at 12 mg/day, I am not nodding anymore. I don't feel the need for that afternoon nap or that sudden intense drowsiness I got around 9 am every morning. The drowsiness lasted the whole 3 years I was on it. The first 3 months, I promise I could fall asleep at a redlight. It was frightening...it was just a light sleep either...I could shut my eyes and immediately go into a dream state....sitting upright when I had just been talking!!!

Yes, I am feeling physically better at 12 mgs....going to stay here until I feel adjusted which I hope doesn't take too long. I firmly believe that a lot of this is mind over matter. Yes, I know I will have some physical symptoms along the way but a positive outlook does a lot. We are much stronger beings with much more powerful brains than we realize! I am actually looking forward to my taper...not dreading anything at all....I am reclaiming ME :)

Have a great rest of the week!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:42 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Most people do feel better on lower dosages. That's why so many people say about sub, "Less is more". It's usually best to get to the absolute lowest dose possible that will still keep one out of w/d and deal with the cravings. The exception to that is people who take it for pain.

And when it comes to tapering, I firmly believe that when people perseverate and obsess over every little w/d symptom they have that they are just making themselves feel worse. Distract, distract, distract...it also works for triggers and cravings. It's a good piece of advice from Dr. J - as usual.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:03 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Yes, yes, yes...less is more. I am so excited to have come down 50% in one month and actually be feeling BETTER.

Need to go to my taper thread and post this but today is my 3rd day on 12 mgs (down from 16) and I woke up this morning about 5 am with that "buzzing" feeling going down my arms and legs. I thought "Yay....it's working...get to work old body...you are learning to live without Sub!" Went back to sleep and took my 8 mgs when I got up 2 hours later. I will know when I've adjusted to 12 mgs when I don't awake with that feeling and feel comfortable here.

I really don't mind some withdrawal symptoms. As someone said above....mild withdrawal feels like nothing more than a mild flu or cold....if that's all I suffer with, that's A-OK with me. A small price to pay for being able to live Sub-free :)

Can't wait to see my doc on the 31st and let him see how far I've come

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:47 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Congrats to all above, new here but would like to share my experience just to shed some light on the undecisive jumpers. I was an avid oxy/opana user. sometimes upwards of 400-600 mg oxy a day, for about 2 yrs. I am one who just made the decision to jump more or less to no longer be dependent on anything. My dosage was 16 mg a day, but the day that i decided to set my date i dropped from 16 mg to 4mg the next day. took 4 mg for 7 days and QUIT. i will not lie, some of the wd symptoms got to be pretty bad but not to the point where i could not function. I am now on day 6 with no sub and they seem to be getting less day by day. The hardest thing i had to deal with was not sleeping for the first 72 hrs, but the way im looking at that now is i am more than willing to give up 72 hrs of my life to make such a positive change. People it will be hard but keep busy and dont overthink it. And most importantly QUIT for yourself, not for others or it will never work. Dont get me wrong i am far from OK and would still appreciate some input from anyone past day 6 to share their experience from this point on!!