It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:01 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I took 16 mgs for just a little bit over 2 years and kept my dose constant for the majority of that time. Initially I intended to get on suboxone temporarily and over the past few months I knew it was time given the circumstances. I decided I'd rather detox from suboxone for a shorter period of time at an increased rate of withdrawal symptoms compared to tapering over an extended amount of time with less intense symptoms.

About a month ago, I began to dose twice every 7 or 8 days. The only symptoms I experienced were a runny nose and increased sweat, both began the 3rd or 4th day. They were uncomfortable but not all that bad in relation to full opiate agonists and the horror stories on here. The only cravings I got were all mental and didn't occur unless it came on my mind. There was one day after I heard an old song that triggered a thought in my head that led to some using thoughts. I ended up taking suboxone and used this info for preparation. I used these first 2 weeks as a trial of what to expect and how to manage the coming. The key was staying busy.

July 14th was the last time I took suboxone (16 mgs). The symptoms didn't start until July 18th and stayed at the same level for about 6 days, which were the worst, and the past few days have been much better. The sweating has gone almost back to complete normalcy but the runny nose is still prevalent and the constant irritation has led to a few nosebleeds.

I'm not sure how negative this is but, the constipation I've had since using opiates has gone away but may be a very minor form of diarrhea. In general it is so much easier to use the bathroom. Sex drive has returned and my overall level of concentration has improved. I've also noticed an increased appetite among other things. Overall on a scale of 1-10, I'd rate these past 2 weeks a 5/10 and I expected about an 8/10. If I sat around and did nothing it probably would've been hell. I probably would've made it so much worse in my head.

A key aspect has been my genuine will to get off. It's very important to have a reason to push yourself. For me it was that I became so tired of the side-effects of opiates along with the financial side.

Suboxone is what led me to become clean at my own pace. It's allowed me to live normal while still being in school and not the need to disappear to an inpatient treatment facility for an extended period of time at an unmanageable price. Thanks for reading this long post!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:32 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hey, that's great! What impressive willpower you have! So, what kinds of things did you do to stay busy? Manual labor, fun stuff, work, exercise, or what? I am just curious because if it was hard work, I wondered if it was hard to think and concentrate, and if it was exercise/hard labor, I wondered if your body had a hard time pushing through.

Also, did you have any sleeping problems, and if so, did you take anything for it that helped? Also, did you get RLS or that leg-cramp feeling? If so, did you take anything for it?

Keep up that positive attitude, you're really inspirational!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:09 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

that's awesome dude. i'm doing a really quick taper and have felt the symptoms you described, but the postives outweigh the negatives. thanks for sharing and keep it up. how are you feeling after two weeks? and these symptoms lasted for 6 days ?

it's great to be who you truly are without opiates, i can't wait till i'm completely done as well.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:06 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Thanks for replying. I did forget to add the sleeping aspect and glad you brought it up. I typically take Unisom sleep gels to assist me with falling asleep with ease. I didn't have any more difficult of a time passing out but I did wake up earlier than usual and had trouble falling back asleep. It’s hard for me to say whether I would've experienced this with or without suboxone withdrawal considering I had to alter my sleep schedule based on my classes and study sessions.

My body wasn't any more sore than normal. I had finals to study for which kept my mind occupied, but even when I wasn't studying I didn't have any trouble with physical activity. Besides the sweating and runny nose everything was normal. I told myself I wasn't going to take any suboxone and firmly didn't want to. I didn't want to even have the option of it otherwise I would've convinced myself I needed to. My goal was to do the things I couldn't do while on suboxone and use it as motivation. I spent this time studying, watching tv, and hanging around with positive influences. I really didn't do anything out of the norm.

I thought exercising would've been a good activity but didn't exercise any more than usual because I had other stuff going on, not because I didn't have the energy. For the most part I truly believe 70% of the withdrawals people have are mental and anticipation. The symptoms lasted longer than 6 days but what I meant was that the runny nose and sweats were the worst in that time and a diminished level of side effects after. But even then, the symptoms at their worst weren't that bad.

I can only speak from my experiences and can't guarantee anyone will have the same symptoms, but in general I strongly believe having a positive mindset, setting goals, and staying busy are the most important aspects to having the most comfortable detox.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:38 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

holy crap you jumped at 16mgs?

some people are said to have an iron will

you sir have a will of lonsdaleite

hats off to you sir.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:41 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I too jumped at 16 MG's and literally I have the same story. I don't know for sure but to me it was WAY easier than tapering. Wd's aren't even bad!!!!!!!