It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:56 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Rule - With all that's going on, I have to say the first thing I noticed in your post was that you sound TERRIFIC. Very determined and positive and up-beat.

I'm glad the surgery went well and they got good margins. I hope you only require minimal radiation now.

With regard to your pain control, all I can say is to stress that you deserve adequate pain relief. Recovering addict or not...you deserve that. Keep us posted on how you're doing with that.

Keep up the great work. And stay healthy, you cancer super hero, you! (((HUGS)))

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:16 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

So true re the meds. You don't need to be a martyr, and take less pain meds than you need.

Look at it this way. If you manage to stay on top of it, and take your regime exactly as prescribed, staying completely honest with your doctor about your pain levels, you can actually get a LOT of growth in your addiction recovery from this. It is really trying for any recovering addict who has to go on pain meds. But it's one of those things where, if you manage to pull it off responsibly, you'll have developed a rock-solid recovery. Sink or swim style :D

Congratulations on the good results. You'll come out of this a stronger person, I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:17 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I am so glad they were able to get all of the tumor! You and your family must feel so relieved!

I agree with the others, take your pain meds as long as you need them. Mouth/throat surgery is very painful. Everything you do irritates it, breathing, talking, eating. I was 18 when I had my tonsils out and thought it would be a piece of cake. Apparently it isn't when you are an adult. It hurt so bad, I couldn't eat for 2 weeks! Not even ice cream like everyone says, I lost 20lbs. and of course being a teenage girl I didn't mind. Just breathing hurt horribly. So please use your meds as long as you need. There is no reason to suffer and if you have to give them to your wife to give to you. You still have sub waiting for you when you are feeling better.

I am so thrilled for you and your family, it appears you will have a happy ending to this chapter in your life!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:17 pm 

Thanks Everyone, and Breezy, I had my tonsils out in 8th grade so the same thing happened to me.

Ended up at the ER this morning because yesterday I couldn't even swallow water. They said I was dehydrated (duh!) and hooked me up to an IV, then gave a cocktail of numbing stuff. Had to swallow that but it did help in about half and hour.

This morning after getting home I had a bowl (almost)of some soup so now my hunger pangs are quite as bad. I'm sure I've lost a few pounds already. They called my doc and he said it's just like having your tonsils out but a lot worse so you know what I mean.

I'll do my best to keep some Gatoraid in me so that doesn't happen again. Only two more weeks to go!

I guess Thanksgiving is out the door unless I make a sudden recovery. This would be the first one I missed w/o family.

Enjoy every bite of food today, you never know what they'll find tomorrow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:50 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Rule, I've been away for a while and I'm still trying to catch up on things. I'm glad the surgery is over but I'm so sorry you're going through the painful aftermath. If you're still on pain meds you could try crushing them and mixing them with something easy to swallow like yogurt or applesauce. (I know it's a little on the late side for this kind of advice.) I hope you are feeling much, much better. When you feel up to it please let us know how it is going.
Take care,
Lilly

Post subject: Lily, Lily, Lily..
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:05 pm 

I just like the sound of that. Sorry to pick on your beautiful name.

Let's see, an update. Well, I am feeling a bit better than when I last posted. I went back and reread those posts of mine and saw so many grammatical errors it shocked me. Funny how pain affects the brain. Normally, when thinking straight, and I still aren't yet, I can sit and write a whole paper with no mistakes. Is my brain draining away? Naw, just the pain and the meds I think.

For the last couple of days I have been able to eat three squares. Mind you, very small meals like two scrambled eggs with nothing else for breakfast, maybe a Ramen noodle lunch, and then more soup for dinner. I avoid all salt and anything not soft as can be. Had my wife buy me some cantaloupe as I was craving it and couldn't eat it, too hard to swallow. That is what I miss, fruits and veggies. I really could be a Vegan if need be. And it is funny how a 6' man can live on under 800 calories a day and feel grateful.

The meds started working for me nearly a week after I started them. It may have been the Suboxone or it was just the severity of the pain I had. It is still way bad but nothing like it was. Haven't decided what to do with the Lortabs yet. May not have enough to last until my next surgery and I am going to ask for some more time in between so I can put some weight back on and eat normally. I'm assuming the same amount of pain is coming again for my second surgery and I'm scared to death of repeating what I just went through.

Have a followup appt. tomorrow so I'll know more then.

Thanks for asking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:48 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Are you totally off the subs? If so, you can stay off and I bet the pain meds will work better next time. Take that fruit and throw it in a blender and make a smoothie! Hope you feel better soon.