It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: My journey to sobriety
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:38 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello, I'm 23 years old and discovered oc , and binged for 8 months : 160mg- 320 mg OC a day. I believed that I could quit cold turkey in January but it was too hard with work and school.. So I decided to go on suboxone, which I have been taking for about 6 months. I am tapering off pretty quickly actually and it has been working out nicely.

week 1 - 1.5 mg -> 1mg, gradual reduction (each pill slightly smaller than the other)
week 2 - 1 mg - stabilize
week 3 - 0.75 - >0.5 mg gradual reduction(each pill slightly smaller than the other)
week 4 - 0.5 for 3 days, 0.25 - 5 days (Currently at this step)
Week 5 - Stop 7/10

The most of my withdrawal symptoms have been malaise, general tiredness, a little depression anxiety, mild cold sweats. I think all of these were very mild and I am working two jobs with no trouble. I don't know how it will go when I stop all together but I am hoping for the best . I feel positive b/c my withdrawals have been very small in my quick taper. I have my last sub dr. apt. Friday and I am going to try to get some tools for withdrawal, non-opiate. Hopefully a benzo like Ativan to help with the anxiety, and maybe some sort of speed medication, like concerta to help with the low energy. And definitely Ambien for sleep. I was wondering if anyone else had any suggestions. I'd love to quit because I feel so much better off of suboxone but it is so hard to work two jobs when in withdrawal. Please any feedback would be welcomed.How long do you think I will be sick for? OC 8 months 160mg- 320 mg a day, suboxone 6 months. Doses never over 4 mg, usually around 2 mg.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:40 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

If being off Sub is your goal, I commend you for that BUT keep this in mind...

Suboxone has a long half life, which means it takes about a week to feel the drop in a dose when you taper. Being that you were on it for six months, you should be giving yourself atleast a few weeks between each drop in mgs. You don't want to rush into a brick wall, do you? Be patient and give your recovery the time it needs!
Instead of Ambien, why don't you try trazadone? It is a mild antidepressant that is often used to help people with drug problems get to sleep. I used it early in my Sub treatment and it worked well.

Post subject: Half life issue
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:02 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

[font=Comic Sans MS] [/font]

Thank-you for your feedback and advice! I was just wondering about what you said about the half-life , in my experience so far it seems to leave my body in about 24 - 30 hours. When I dropped from 1.5 mg to 1 mg I noticed a few withdrawal symptoms, very mild only for the first three days. After that I felt better than I had at a higher dose. So I feel as though the half life definitely varies from one person to the next. I think it is that the elimination half-life of buprenorphine is 20–73 hours (mean 37), so that means it would be possible to say that I could be stabalized at my dose in two days. Not stabalized in the sense of feeling comfortable, but stabalized meaning only on the smaller dosage, and not still holding onto some mgs from the past. I am unsure about the half life but I feel like I should be pretty well stabalized on my 0.25, since I have been taking under 0.5 mg at least for the past two weeks. I hope I'm not about to run into a brick wall!

Also that drug you suggested, trazadone. Do you think I could get that from my doctor? He trusts me but I don't want to go in asking for a bunch of pills. But from what I remember about the last time, I will need all the help I can get. Did it help with other symptoms of withdrawal, or was it just insomnia?

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: And so it begins
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:19 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Today I went to the doctor and she reluctantly gave me a prescription for buspar for anxiety, and she wanted to keep prescribing me suboxone, so I told her I'd take it finally, and now I'm just not going to fill it. It will be too tempting for me if I do. Anyway tomorrow is day number one after the fast taper I listed above. I felt fine today all day on a !/4 of a mg and I am feeling very positive about tomorrow. I took an ambien tonight to go to sleep, and it helps me wind down after working all night waiting tables. Well I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on taking buspar and the dosages. Thanks for your feedback everyone, it helps me feel like I'm not doing this alone.
'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:33 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I suggest you take the Buspar according to your doctor's instructions. It's the playing around with dosage that got a lot of us into addiction in the first place.

Good Luck!

p.s. I would try to use sleep aides as sparingly as possible. People become dependent on virtually all of them and your natural sleep cycle will never return to normal so long as you are inducing sleep chemically.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:23 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Remind me what Buspar is......

Also does anyone have issues waking up in the morning? It's not NEARLY as bad as when I was on the pills but I still have a hell of a time getting out of bed in the morning. Anyone found anything that helps with this? Anything at all? Even something as simple as going to bed earlier?

Post subject: Day 1 - outa the woods?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:00 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Suboxone 1/4 mg stop , Well I am 36 hours away from my last dose. I woke up this morning because I couldn't sleep at about 8am. I felt ok, maybe a bit nervous, anxious so I tried the buspar out, which for hawker1 is an anti-anxiety medicine that affects chemicals in your brain that may become unbalanced and cause anxiety. BuSpar is used in the treatment of anxiety disorders and and for short-term relief of the symptoms of anxiety, such as fear, tension, irritability, dizziness, pounding heartbeat, and other physical symptoms, for me the anxiety is the worst of my symptoms.

Anyway, after taking the buspar I felt a little drowsy, but had no anxiety. I think this stuff is going to help me a lot. For me with the anxiety it seems to get so bad that I feel sick to my stomach.
Also Hawker1 - Waking up in the morning is rough isn't it, well I have a theory about that. When your body is stressed as it is in withdrawal it is very sensitive to every stressor,a situation known as "somasomatic" getiing out of bed on a monday morning to go to work for someone who has never taken opiates in their life I'm sure is no picnic, but with us and our withdrawals it amplifies the negative symptoms of waking up.

Well, I hope I don't wake up to a brick wall tomorrow, what do you guys think? I've felt petty good tonight, no real withdrawal symptoms yet. I have to work a double so we shall see, I plan on taking some ADD speed drug to get rid of the malaise feeling that dr. Junig suggested. And I'd also like to take the buspar but am not sure how the two work together so I will have to check that out first. I am in very good spirits and I feel like I'm well on my way. Maybe this isn't as hard as people think? We'll see tomorrow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:20 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Please be very careful and only take something that your doctor has approved. A word of warning from one of my many times trying to quit opiates: ended up addicted to Adderall after using it to detox from illicit and prescribed opiates I was taking. I was trying to be very responsible with it too....well I hope we all know how that kind of thing turns out and in that kind of a situation I really think it is just trading one drug for another. Speed like drugs have always had an appeal to me as they usually gave me the same euphoric feelings I got from opiates. Please be careful there are plenty of safe alternatives to help with energy levels. Best advice is talk with your doctor and for goodness sakes be careful! Adderall withdrawal was no picnic either and I eventually just went back to taking my DOC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:14 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Could somebody pleas tell me where the good docter talked about ADD medicine? I would really like to read it. Thanks.

Post subject: 65 hours plus...
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:18 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have now been subxone free for about 65 hours, still not feeling any worse at all. I actually felt better today, I was able to concentrate better and just had more energy in general. I still had a little afternoon lull where I definitely didn't feel like doing much more than lie down, but working 12 hours a day I'm sure a normal person might feel a little lull as well. I was wondering if anybody else feels better off of suboxone in some ways. I don't see many people talk about the positive aspects of being off suboxone which I think is important to focus on if you are in the process of tapering, or stopping.

Thank you for your concern Matt, but I think I'll be alright, I just got one ADD pill for today since it was supposed to be the worst day of the suboxone withdrawal...48 hours.... and I had to work a double shift. I can't afford to be useless at work and lose my job. I don't like speeding at all, but I think in this situation it is useful.

And SLM 3, Dr. Junig recomended the ADD drug concerta among other helpful medicines in his MP3 download on stopping suboxone. Very good useful tape!
Thanks again for the input guys!

"May the wind always be at your back and the sun upon your face. And may the wings of destiny carry you aloft to dance with the stars. "

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:30 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thanks alot Unsponsered! Much appreciated. Unfortunately I'm no where near stopping suboxone, but I'm having a really hard time getting someone to prescribe me antideppressants. My suboxone doctor is constantly on me about my weight and has ran all kinds of tests to find out why I have no energy. So I was thinking a little ADD medicine might fix all my problems at once. I know its addictive and probably not the best thing already, but that's just how my brain is still working. I thought maybe a low dose till I can get the antideppressant thing fixed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:11 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

So I just finished my third day and am at 96 hours since the last dose of suboxone. Today was a little harder, I just felt weak and anxious/depressed, had the chills, kinda crawly skin, and slight RLS. It was all very bearable though, nothing overwhelmingly awful. I have thouroughly enjoyed getting back to my old self, I actually enjoyed watching a movie, and find enjoying listening to music a lot more. I also notice an increase of energy in the morning and evening but a lull in the afternoon. I was wondering if anyone else had any similar things happen with their energy? I was also wondering if anyone had an idea of how long I might be "sick" for. I really feel like taking the suboxone has given my brain a chance to heal and restore some of the receptors/dopamine, after binging on OC for 8 months. Well I just hope tomorrow is a bit better because my boss is starting to wonder why I'm sick so much. Oh well I guess a job is less important than my sobriety at the moment.