It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:43 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello everybody I have just joined the forum and am 22 years old. I have been on suboxone for about a year and am doing well for the past 3 months, I am even down to taking 6-8 mg a day which is really good for me. Alright I was abusing the meds but was also getting my medication for legitimate reasons but wound up being addicted I won't lie i was pretty much addicted by the time I got them prescribed for my issue. Anyhow I am interested in joining the air force and am most likely going too, I am wondering if someone can help me out and know if I can take the subs while in the air force, or just try to get off the subs before joining, ask my doctor to write me a note to say I need to take the subs for pain and is better than actually taking narcotics. Either way I want to get off these suboxone things I am pretty sure I have my addiction under control and can hopefully handle it. I was in detox twice before even going on suboxone I was even thinking of checking into detox and see if than can detox me from suboxone rapidly cause I really want to get off it and get on with my life. Any info from anyone or even people serving in the military would be helpful thanks for reading and responding.

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:17 pm 
Whats up AbruzzoS!!

Welcome to the forum!! Um, im not really sure if the air force will allow that kind of medication or not. Unfortunately, it seems like they probably wouldnt but i could be wrong. I can for sure understand you wanting to not take medication everyday but the question i would ask you and anybody else, are you sure thats the best choice for yourself? How are you gonna stay free from drugs without the medication? Do you have any kind of plan for after you stop the medication? Have you done any work while taking it to ensure you want go back to using or have you just been taking the medication? Im asking this stuff because its gonna be really hard to stay away from drugs if you dont prepare yourself for the world without this medication. It may not seem like it now but, when this medication leaves your system its gonna take some hard work to stay away from using. Its not gonna be so easy to not use without this medication if you havent prepared for everything, in my opinion. Im sure you will get many more comments. Again welcome to the forum!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:32 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello and thanks for the quick response I do realize how hard it will be without the medication beleive me. It is hard enough even while taking the medication. Like I said I have been on subs for a year and have about 3 months clean with no opiates in that year time and that is the past three months. While on the subs I would mess up a little and go on binges as people would say and than get back to the point where I look at myself and realize this is not what I want and I am happy now staying clean, and am trying my hardest to stay clean. I go to meetings when I can I have completed in-patient and out patient programs in the past year, so i do know it will be hard no matter if I take subs or not. I just want to get to the point where I can get off the subs and see what happens but even subs have withdrawl effects which I do not want to tolerate, not to sound like a baby but I can not stand the feeling of withdrawl which I am sure is the case with everyone and is what will also lead me to use. So I am just trying to figure out the best way to go about it if anyone knows, I was wondering if a detox clininc would detox you from suboxone, if anyone knows about that let me know?

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:25 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I don’t want to get you down but I don’t think the AIR FORCE will allow you to be on SUBOXONE for any reason pain or not. I would try to get off it b4 you join so you don’t have to say anything about SUBOXONE at all. Yea it’s not a bad drug but I don’t think you want them reading into what SUB is used for but that’s just me. I could be wrong but if this is something you really want to do and I’m sure this is very important to you so I would try to go in free of all and any medications that might be under question of joining.

By the way I think its really cool that you want to be part of the AIR FORCE and wish you the best of luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:04 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you for your response I have been thinking the same thing about totally being off the drug before I join. That is why on the initial interview I told them I was on no medication because I do not want them to know my past, because it is my past and I am moving forward and do not want to be judged because of it. Thanks for the advice next thing I am looking at is the best way to get off the suboxone, like if there is a detox just for that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:45 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

AbruzzoS wrote:
Thank you for your response I have been thinking the same thing about totally being off the drug before I join. That is why on the initial interview I told them I was on no medication because I do not want them to know my past, because it is my past and I am moving forward and do not want to be judged because of it. Thanks for the advice next thing I am looking at is the best way to get off the suboxone, like if there is a detox just for that.

There are so many people who will be able to give you some advice on what your best bet will be to get off SUBOXONE. The taper threads hear are great but I’m sure you will find more as you look deeper into methods of how to get of SUBOXONE. I had a friend just go into an inpatient DETOX to get off SUB and said it was the best thing he ever did in his recovery. Cause he was down to crumbs but just couldn’t get off that last lil bit but as soon as he go to the facility he felt this was it and it was it he has been clean from all drugs for almost 11 months now and going strong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:56 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

There is absolutely no way that you are going to pass a urinalysis for entry into any branch of the military with Buprenorphine in your system. If you want to join the Air Force you are going to have to get off subxone. Rapid detox is not the best way to go. If you're currently taking 8mg per day you can probably wean yourself down to a very low dose and then make the jump within about 3 or 4 months, but I would urge you to not try to do it any quicker than that. By your own admission you've only been "sober" (not using drugs other than suboxone) for 90 days. I don't mean to rain on your parade here, dude, but to me it doesn't sound like you are quite ready for this yet.

Why the rush?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:11 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Junkie is right. There is zero chance of you passing the drug test & if you fail it & they allow you 6 months later, you can take another drug test(if they allow you to, & they do not have to). If you pass the second one, you'll have to try to get a waiver for failing the first one, getting a waiver is not as easy as it seems, and the failed drug test stays in your file. Point being...DO NOT RISK IT! Do what Junkie said, take the time you need to safely get off suboxone, if you are truly ready to be off. There is no hurry, the military is not going anywhere. Also, do NOT tell them, once you are off, that you were ever addicted to anything, that you have had pain or been prescribed meds for pain(as you will need a medical waiver if you tell them, or you will just be denied). Do not tell them anything that they don't have to know. If you have had surgery, that may block your entry. I will say once you are off the meds, try to enlist as soon as possible, the military does a good job at keeping you busy & active. Plus, when you have the penalties that will come with drug use, it helps as a deterrent...article 15 is not something you want to deal with ever, so most people stay on the straight & narrow. I am all for you joining, but don't tarnish your record witht hem before you even get in! My husband was in the 101st Airborne, Army, so I speak from experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:13 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I know I would not risk taking a drug test for the military with any drug in my system even thought I have been told that military drug tests do not test for it. Thats not the point I want to be off it and if it will take 3 to 4 months I guess thats the best way, I want to be clean cause I want to get out of where I am because drugs are everywhere and I can control myself now cause I want to cause I still have people doing oxy and dope in frosnt of me and I have no interest in it. I just want to move on with my life cause I feel like I wasted four years of it with stupid drug abuse I was going for an electical enginneering degree with a 3.8 gpa than just stopped going because I was sick from drugs or just wanted to do drugs and god only knows what my gpa is now because I failed out two semesters, which I can make up but than have to go back to school and just start over. That is why I want to join the air force and get stable and get a home for me and my girlfriend and live a normal life, where I live now is not a normal life not saying it is a bad neighborhood but the people I know when we go out it has to do with getting as F ucked up as possible and I do not want to be about that anymore I already wasted my life with that and other factors and have led to my addiction. But I was in no way saying I was going to try and join the air force with suboxone in my system I do not want them to know anything about my past, bad enough I had a felony at 16 which is sealed for everyone but government and state jobs so I have that over my shoulder also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:54 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

n00b on the forum, but I need to let you know some things;

the air force is a pain in the ass for you, for several reasons = firstly, they are the MOST selective of applicants, they get the pick of the litter, so to speak, and thus have a much higher bar than say, the army, which will give you waivers for anything up to (and lately, beyond) a felony. Someone mentioned not to mention past drug use, which Im honestly on the fence about. the problem is it sounds like you're a smart kid, that means you'll probably get a decent MOS, which from your electrical engineering backround and high GPA means youll eventually come up for a security clearance. yes, you might manage to lie your way IN and deny any drug use, but when you get a military backround check for a higher rank, they WILL turn this up, find your medical history, and VERY likely discharge you on the spot, bad. just something to consider.

Im going to say this though, unless you have your heart completely set on it and feel lucky, go for the medical waiver, the worst case is they turn your application down and you go finish college or do whatever with your life.

EDIT: a little hypocrisy from the service that still issues amphetamines to it pilots. . . ssshhhhh ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:47 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I agree with Celestial. The Air Force takes the best men to join most of the time (not to offend anyone, I know there are exceptions). You might try the Army if you can get off the subs. I know they do not take anyone on antidepressents, even routine drugs like Zoloft and the like. And the thing of it is, when you go to basic they don't give a damn about medication. Whatever you do, do not mention anything of your past that they don't already know. You MIGHT feel that the Air Force will keep you clean, but that's far from the truth. You can get drugs after basic and training and dodge the random drug screens. Believe me, I did it until I got seperated for being depressed and hospitalized. In my opinion, which may or may not count, is DON'T DO IT, it will just fuck up and complicate your life even more. What you need to do is stop hanging out with old friends that use and find some friends that are not using. I know it's hard but find a support group or whatever, to meet new people.

But if you really thing joining the Service will help you, then do it 100% and suck it up and deal with it. I've known heroing users who jump straight into programs and the Army had to withdraw and get with the program at the same time. It can be done.
Good luck,
J

Post subject: DON"T GO iN ON SUBS
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:12 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Look i was in the Coast Guard years back and you will not survive boot camp going through withdrawals (minus the fact you won't sleep anyway). The military doesn't accept people with certain medical problems and they will not give you suboxone. Also they have programs for addicts..... they are basically boot camp. My advice is to take your time and get off the subs when you are ready. Joining the Air Force will be a great way to motivate you toward a goal.

The withdrawals differ for different people but 9 times outta 10 they are hell on earth. And you need to be in top shape to get through boot camp mentally and physically. (i do think Air force is the easiest/shortest boot camp though). I really think its great you decided to join the Air Force and I really hope you do. Believe me it'll make a man of you. You got a great goal and if you really want it you can get it. Just get off the subs first. like someone here said you won't get anything while in basic training. And i know for a fact.

On a side note. As someone else already mentioned you can get drugs easier in the military than in the real world. It was there "someone i know" became addicted to heroin. Try w/d ing on a boat. At sea. Also "Someone i know" cooked crack and sold it to others in the military. Bottom line...... If you want to stay clean you gotta do it yourself.

And don't join the Army. If i had to do it all over I wouldda done Air Force too. Or went to officer school in USCG.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:15 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Oh and don't let anyone tell you you cant do it. Its your life not theirs!!!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:33 am 
New Poster
New Poster

How is the United States Air Force Academy place among the other four Military Academies? If possible, can you rank the 5 military Academies in order? I just got accepted to the Air Force Prep School and am wondering what types of people that graduate from the Prep School doesn't get accepted the the Air Force Academy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:03 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I don't mean any disrespect but you folks claiming he want get past the drug tests are wrong. I've spent a good chunk of my life in the AF and bupe is not flagged in their drug test. Read my reply in this thread http://suboxforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=5624

I actually went into basic training in mild withdrawals from hydro. I can tell you this much, you want be in withdrawal for long! You literally don't sleep for the first 3 days so it can actually be used to your advantage. Coming off Suboxone actually wouldn't be the end of the world in basic. They are gonna keep you so scared and nervous that withdrawals will not be your primary focus. After 2-3 days of physical training and non-stop hauling ass to be ready and standing at attention, that shit is gonna fly out of your system.

Everybody is sweaty, out of shape, sleepless, miserable during the first week of basic so you want look to much out of place, nor will you be the only one detoxing from something.

I know this is wrong but here's what I did. I packed 3 bic pens full of Ambien and super glued the caps back on. I figured I could chew on the ends to open them and still look normal. It was risky as hell but I didn't know how bad withdrawals in basic were gonna be and I knew sleep would be essential. They will have constant locker and drawer inspections but it's to make sure you have everything in the exact order they tell you to keep it. You are allowed pens, notebooks, bible, etc.. I didn't even think about opening a pen until about the 4th weeks when things weren't quite as intense. When they do actually allow you to sleep, I promise you that you'll sleep within 5 minutes of your head hitting the pillow with zero medications.

I know this is something to take seriously but you can take Suboxone in the AF if you just gotta. I also did 2 different 6 month deployments in which I needed to bring enough meds to detox. Now going through customs inspections in Iraq by military inspectors was nerve racking!!! I always made it but I wouldn't ever try it over again. I was just stupid and lucky for alot of my younger years. They don't check care packages so that's your best route if you had to get your suboxone/kratom during a deployment, however, you want have any temptations while in Iraq, hahaha. Just like basic, you'll be clean within a few days of a deployment.

I'd be glad to answer any specific Air Force questions for you but I gotta go for now..

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:16 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

AbruzzoS wrote:
Hello everybody I have just joined the forum and am 22 years old. I have been on suboxone for about a year and am doing well for the past 3 months, I am even down to taking 6-8 mg a day which is really good for me. Alright I was abusing the meds but was also getting my medication for legitimate reasons but wound up being addicted I won't lie i was pretty much addicted by the time I got them prescribed for my issue. Anyhow I am interested in joining the air force and am most likely going too, I am wondering if someone can help me out and know if I can take the subs while in the air force, or just try to get off the subs before joining, ask my doctor to write me a note to say I need to take the subs for pain and is better than actually taking narcotics. Either way I want to get off these suboxone things I am pretty sure I have my addiction under control and can hopefully handle it. I was in detox twice before even going on suboxone I was even thinking of checking into detox and see if than can detox me from suboxone rapidly cause I really want to get off it and get on with my life. Any info from anyone or even people serving in the military would be helpful thanks for reading and responding.

Steve

Suboxone has sprung up so much lately and has helped people but is a highly addictive drug in itself. People need to know and understand the most natural and safe way to kick opiates: KRATOM

Kratom is a miracle herb. There is so much junk on the internet of people calling Kratom a legal high and saying not for human consumption. This destroys the legitimacy of our herb and endangers it when classified as such.

Kratom works for SO MANY people for pain, to get off opiates, and to get off methadone, suboxone etc.

It is absolutely a miracle and cannot be underestimated. SO MANY people always say they wish they would have known about Kratom so long ago when trying to kick pills, or getting off methadone, suboxone etc. It is also only as addictive as caffiene, so stopping Kratom is a piece of cake. It TRULY helps people kick opiates.

For more information about Kratom Therapy check out www dot KratomTherapy dot com or Errowid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:28 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

blueindian wrote:
I don't mean any disrespect but you folks claiming he want get past the drug tests are wrong. I've spent a good chunk of my life in the AF and bupe is not flagged in their drug test. Read my reply in this thread

I actually went into basic training in mild withdrawals from hydro. I can tell you this much, you want be in withdrawal for long! You literally don't sleep for the first 3 days so it can actually be used to your advantage. Coming off Suboxone actually wouldn't be the end of the world in basic. They are gonna keep you so scared and nervous that withdrawals will not be your primary focus. After 2-3 days of physical training and non-stop hauling ass to be ready and standing at attention, that shit is gonna fly out of your system.

Everybody is sweaty, out of shape, sleepless, miserable during the first week of basic so you want look to much out of place, nor will you be the only one detoxing from something.

I know this is wrong but here's what I did. I packed 3 bic pens full of Ambien and super glued the caps back on. I figured I could chew on the ends to open them and still look normal. It was risky as hell but I didn't know how bad withdrawals in basic were gonna be and I knew sleep would be essential. They will have constant locker and drawer inspections but it's to make sure you have everything in the exact order they tell you to keep it. You are allowed pens, notebooks, bible, etc.. I didn't even think about opening a pen until about the 4th weeks when things weren't quite as intense. When they do actually allow you to sleep, I promise you that you'll sleep within 5 minutes of your head hitting the pillow with zero medications.

I know this is something to take seriously but you can take Suboxone in the AF if you just gotta. I also did 2 different 6 month deployments in which I needed to bring enough meds to detox. Now going through customs inspections in Iraq by military inspectors was nerve racking!!! I always made it but I wouldn't ever try it over again. I was just stupid and lucky for alot of my younger years. They don't check care packages so that's your best route if you had to get your suboxone/kratom during a deployment, however, you want have any temptations while in Iraq, hahaha. Just like basic, you'll be clean within a few days of a deployment.

I'd be glad to answer any specific Air Force questions for you but I gotta go for now..

Kratom is the way to go. It doesnt show up on UAs and is legal. If you (not you Blueindian) but you others do not know what Kratom is, learn about it NOW! www dot Kratom Therapy dot com or errowid dot org

Kratom is a miracle herb. There is so much junk on the internet of people calling Kratom a legal high and saying not for human consumption. This destroys the legitimacy of our herb and endangers it when classified as such.

Kratom works for SO MANY people for pain, to get off opiates, and to get off methadone, suboxone etc.

It is absolutely a miracle and cannot be underestimated. SO MANY people always say they wish they would have known about Kratom so long ago when trying to kick pills, or getting off methadone, suboxone etc. It is also only as addictive as caffiene, so stopping Kratom is a piece of cake. It TRULY helps people kick opiates.

If you have tried Kratom and it didnt work, it is either the company has poor quality Kratom (most likely the case) or you didnt take enough. We know hundreds of people that have kicked vics/percs up to 600mg oxy habits and heroin.

Go green. Be safe. Live healthy!