It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Joining military
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:18 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'm an opiate addict for illegitamite reasons. I would like to join the military in the future but would also like to start suboxone to help me overcome my addiction. Would my prescription of suboxone and admission of addiction to get prescribed it keep me out of the military? This is what has kept me from starting suboxone. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:50 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi gamebreaker and welcome to the forum. I honestly don't have the right answer to your question, but if I had to guess, I'd say they might give you trouble if you're on suboxone. That's merely a guess, I could be WAY off base (pun intended) on this one.

You could call a recruiter anonymously and just ask what their policy is with regard to medications in general and suboxone specifically. I'd call a recruiter who is NOT the one you'd go see in person. Just some anonymous sergeant to answer your question.

There may be other people here who can better answer your question. Good luck.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:00 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Hi gamebreaker3233,
First & foremost thank You for wanting to serve OUR Country! It is because of people like you that are willing to serve that give people like us the opportunity to come out here and Recover and Grow at our own Pace and for that I say Thank You!!! As far as your issue with the testing and Suboxone goes. I think Hatmaker is Right. You should inquire through another recruiter anonymously and get their take on it. What ever you decide I wish you Luck and hope keep us posted on your Recovery!! Best Of Luck!

God Bless
TW

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:11 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I’ll be honest with you, I think your goanna have trouble getting into the military if you are on suboxone. There’s another person on this site that is a wife of a person in the military who is moving to a base in Italy if I recall and she not in the army jut wants to live on base with her husband and is having trouble to be allowed on base if she is on suboxone or something close to that I would check out her thread and maybe even talk to her on this subject cause she might have more information then all of us cause if I’m remembering right she has talked with army personnel on this topic. And if she is having trouble to just live with her husband on base then im thinking to be in the army is goanna be even harder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:27 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

No, No & NO...do NOT tell them you are/were addicted to anything! Enlisting can wait at least a month, get on suboxone, get yourself cleaned up first, then go see a recruiter once you are done with suboxone. I am not saying stay on suboxone for only a month, but you will need suboxone for a minimum of a month. You do not want to go to MEPS & fail any drug tests, once that happens you may be barred from enlisting, at a minimum they will make you wait 6 more months & then you have to get a waiver...its a pain in the ass to get a waiver. My husband was in the Army, 101st Airborne. He failed the drug test(prior to enlisting) at MEPS for marijuana, but he hadn't smoked in over a month, but he took the "cleaning" stuff from GNC, apparently they test for that too, and the sheer presence of that made him a "fail" on the test. Do NOT risk it. Also, if you tell them you had addiction een after you are in, and say you break a leg, they will only give you Ibuprofen 800. The military typically steers away from narcotics anyway, they generally hand out Ibuprofen for everything, but you surely don't want to be flagged. Once you are flagged in the military it stays with you forever. I am not encouraging drug use ever, but if you are hurt really bad, you need that option to be available, & it won't be if they know about prior addiction. The suboxone is your best bet of getting off of opiates. Besides you need to be able to do the PT, and your body most likely is not ready at this point to endure what they will make you do. Which branch are you looking into? Some basics are easier than others. You also need to keep in mind that not only will you be in basic, but once that is donne, you will have AIT to do also...get your body ready for the demands that will be required of you. Best of luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:32 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

lindscnn - I'm SO glad you came along, because your experience with this is invaluable. That's what's great about this forum, you can always find someone to help you out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:42 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Bboy...I am not too sure about that wife. Sounds like maybe her spouse doesn't want her there. That may be way off, but the Army doesn't test spouses, and they can't tell a spouse what medication they can be on. Just from my experience in being an Army wife...they can control soldiers, but not spouses unless it is illegal, then they can be banned from military installations, but not because of a prescription medication. I just don't want any future spouses getting scared...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:56 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

lindscnn wrote:
Bboy...I am not too sure about that wife. Sounds like maybe her spouse doesn't want her there. That may be way off, but the Army doesn't test spouses, and they can't tell a spouse what medication they can be on. Just from my experience in being an Army wife...they can control soldiers, but not spouses unless it is illegal, then they can be banned from military installations, but not because of a prescription medication. I just don't want any future spouses getting scared...

yea wow i saw your post in her thread i def hope you can help her out. it good to know theres someone like yourself who can go into depth on this site cause stuff like this is important for people to know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:28 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Do not tell them you are an addict or on suboxone,.. you will not get in. You wil either have to be detoxed when you go off to basic or hope to hell someone can sneak your script to you.. idk bout that... also once you're in the army you wont be able to "knowingly" be on suboxone.. but the base my husband an I are at there are tons an tons of soldiers that go to a psychologist that writes soldiers prescriptions.. and since its paid out of pocket the only way anyone will ever find out is if youre tested or willingly tell them... an Id only do that if you want to get out...
Also.. the army cannot keep a spouse off base for being on subs.. thats wack.. good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:10 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you for the replies. I woulnd't join the military while on suboxone but rather once I was clean of everything. I don't know for sure what branch I will be joining but have talked to a Navy recruiter and thats the branch I'm leaning towards, I did not mention drugs of any kind. My question is would the military looking at my record and seeing I was once prescribed suboxone for opiate addiction but am now off of suboxone keep me out of the military?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:20 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

When I enlisted (which admittedly was 20+ years ago), they did not request any of my medical records. They will do their own exam, during which I supposed they could ask you about it. Of course you just wouldn't tell them. Maybe someone who enlisted more recently will also chime in to answer your question. Good luck to you!