It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:57 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I was on Opiates for about 3 year and finally realized I needed to quit.. So I started the Suboxone program have been on Sub for about 1 1/2 years now. Ive been doing real well without the help of my doctor. He would have just kept prescribing me the highest mg forever if it werent for me working myself down. Im sure most of you know many DRs these days just don't care. So I took it upon myself to wein my self down. My last appointment was about a month ago and have been on the .5 mg for about 8 months now. I just recently started cutting them in half about 4 months ago so its basically like taking .25 mg a day..
I was so close to finally over coming my addiction and then I get a letter in the mail saying that I have been discharged from the program. The reason being = Non-compliance of treatment contract. I have not had a chance to call them about it but I plan on doing it within the next couple days. I just want to think it over carefully before I call b/c at the moment I am still very angry over this.
The reason I was kicked out (I assume) was b/c I havnt taken a drug test since I started with this DR about 6 months ago. I would have taken the DT but the staff never told me to do so, it was never mentioned except one time. And before I could take it the nurse just told me to go ahead and leave. It was crowded that day so thats why I assume she told me to go, or maybe she just didnt wanna do it, ha, I dunno. I knew I was supposed to take the drug tests but the nurses, DR, nor the "social worker" ever told me to stay and take one (DT) after I saw the DR about my scrip so I just always left. It's not my job anyways to remind them to give me a drug test. Next thing you know I'll be reminding them to check my BP or something. This clinic is one of the worst I have ever been to. Plus I don't have the extra money to pay for a DT. I did get a call from the social worker saying I needed to take a DT before my next appointment which I was planning on doing when I went back, but I guess they decided to go ahead and kick me out. At the time I still had some Suboxone left so it was no need for me to go back yet. The letter says "We take your health very seriously" which I find hard to believe b/c all this will do is drive me back to taking opiates.
I would just like some feedback on this. This social worker, in my opinion, has had it out for me since I first spoke to her. However, that's just my opinion. She hasn't been doing her job from the get go and I dont feel I have done anything wrong to result in getting kicked out of the program. I think whose ever job it is to administer the drug tests should get in trouble, not me, I'm just a patient, or really just a customer to them. Anyways feedback will be greatly appreciated!!
-JR :confused:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:59 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi sunshine and welcome. I agree, from what you've just said, I see no rational reason for them to have terminated your treatment. If I were in your shoes, I would contact them and ask for a specific explanation as to your alleged non-compliance, then state your case (calmly and politely). Maybe there was some miscommunication in the office (and from the sounds of it, it sounds very possible). What have you got to lose?

Also, I'm curious, are you tapering off of suboxone...Is that the reason for being on such a low dosage? How does that work for you when it comes to cravings? It's neither here nor there, I was just curious. That low of a maintenance dose is so much different than treatment that is above the ceiling. Of course you don't have to answer, like I said, I was just curious.

Again, welcome to the forum. I think you'll find this to be a very informative and supportive place. Let us know how it turns out with your doctor.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:43 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Sunshine,

Unfortunately, your story of getting kicked out of a suboxone program through no fault of your own is not the first I've heard. It sounds like a "government snafu." I would guess that some computer spit out some notice about your lack of DT's on file. The next thing you know you're getting a message stating how concerned they are with your health, but they are also dropping you. Crazy!

I think you're doing the right thing by waiting and calming yourself down before you call back. I would think the resolution to this problem would be pretty straightforward. I'm gonna say you're going to have to do a DT and then everything should get back on track.

Yeah, I'm curious too about your low, low dose. Are you quitting soon? You certainly are very, very close dose wise.

Would you consider quitting if everything about getting back into the clinic doesn't work out?

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:37 am 
New Poster
New Poster

hatmaker:
Na, I don't mind answering at all, thanks for your inquiry. Yes I have been tapering for sometime now. Like I said I have done this all with no help from my 2 Suboxone DRs. I was basically treating myself. But indeed that is the reason for being on such a low dosage. I feel that if I cannot get back into the program that I can just drop it cold turkey since Im on such low MG, I'd rather not tho :wink: . 0.25 is barley a sliver. But I guess it's more of a psychological thing that makes me wanna get my scrip back and quit that way.
To be honest I don't really have cravings that much except much later on in the day b/c I usually take it within an hour after I get up. But it doesn't happen everyday, just occasionally. If I do start to feel funny they are completely bearable so its nothing serious. But it's nothing compared to withdrawals coming off opiates cold turkey, lol.. I was surprised how little withdrawals/cravings I have had since I started the program. So, so far Sub has given be my life back..

Romeo:
Yeah I would just try to go ahead and quit if the clinic won't let me back in. I was very close to quitting and continuing to taper more with the Sub. It's no point and stupid(I think) to start taking pills again. The last thing I wanna do is get back on 15 hydros a day. I guess I just wanna taper as long as I can to keep the withdrawals from being so bad. However, I have heard that it is easier if you stay on Sub for the shortest time length possible.

I sure appreciate the both of you replying, it always helps to have some one support you, that's half the battle I think. My social worker didn't seem to care about my well being and me getting clean at all. Ive had more help from message boards and from researching myself than the social worker ever gave me. But I understand she is just doing her job and probably just doesn't care about an addicts problems, or if she does she just doesn't show it. I try to give her the benefit of the doubt, but it sure is hard :lol: . Had I not solved the problems myself she would have done nothing to help me and Id probably still be on the highest MG. But thats another story... Thanks again fellows

-JRT :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:25 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Sunshine,

I meant to congratulate you on your taper as well, but I let it slip my mind. Tapering down to such a low dose had to be trying at times, but there you are at .25mg! I found tapering to be difficult, but certainly not impossible.

It's great to hear that you are taking such an active role in your recovery. Instead of sitting back and using your "crappy" social worker as an excuse to be lazy and not make any progress, you decided to take matters into your own hands. I will say this though, the message boards and the research you did by yourself might not be completely adequate to see you through the long haul. I would encourage you to hook up with a good addiction counselor, if I may be so bold as to suggest that. You have made fantastic gains all by yourself, but the counselor may be able to provide additional insight.

Good Job Sunshine!

I hope you continue to post and keep us updated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:07 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Black Sunshine and welcome to the forum. I'm just wondering if you worked things out with the clinic or if they are clinging to your "irresponsibility" to cover their own ass? I agree with you that it would be ideal to have a backup with the script so that while tapering you always know you CAN take sub if you need it versus feeling like you have nothing. Plus, you would have some to use instead of relapsing. It's amazing how even .25mg makes quite the difference when it comes to relapsing or not. That is a fairly low level but I have seen people go even lower before going off entirely and it sounds like you have done your research.

Hopefully you can give us an update when you have time.

Cherie

- Winston Churchill