It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Its a no win!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:47 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Hey All,

Well I have been on Sub for about 3 years now, Life has gotten alot better since i started my treatment. However im in a very bad situation atm.. Ill explain.....

My first year of Sub i got on some program, that actually paid for my subscription for the first year, the past 2 years i have been able to get them at a decent cost. My doctor, of health center actually has a program called the sliding scale, which basically lowers the cost of your appointments and script fills.. This is about to change, my Doc is leaving and going to a new office, and i will no longer get my script filled for $105.00, it will now cost me well over $300.00 plus at any place i have found in my area. This is something i just can not do!!!! No way i can pay that every month!!

It would actually be cheaper for me to buy Methadone of the street like i did before i was on Sub, i would save hundreds of dollars!! I dont want to do that either.. i fear I have nowhere to go from here, try quiting? I have tried to quit drug use for the last 25 years, im not very optimistic of that approach.

I have not had the urge, or have even gotten high on anything in 7 years. i basically turned to opiates due to my addiction to Cocaine, i started using them to go to sleep, before long used them to get out of bed... cycle begins. I wish like hell i had never tried any damn drugs, i have been haunted by addiction so long.. I really hope there is something out there that can help pay for my scripts, i dont want to end up right back where i was 3 years ago...

Anyone know of any programs, or have advice, or contacts i can make? I am at a no win!

Post subject: A NOTE FROM SLIPPER
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:07 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Dear Ego,

I am sorry to hear about your situation. This may not help, but I would talk to my doctor...and I would be very firm.
I would remind him of the Hippocratic Oath he took to practice medicine which says..."FIRST, DO NO HARM"
He is leaving you cold turkey...and that is doing you harm...He gave you the pills in the first place...for 3 years you got
your life back and have been sober and most likely not even thought about your drugs of choice.....

He is your lifeline..and he needs to continue to charge you as he has been, no matter where he goes. It is his
duty to you as a patient, dependent on this medication, that he started you on, to continue to provide it at a cost
you can afford. I am an R.N., and I feel these doctors have a responsibility to their patients . You can take this
and read it to him for all I care. It may not do any good, but it should hit him where it hurts, if he has any kind of
soul at all.

Good Luck,
Slipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:28 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I will still be seeing the same doctor, he is just leaving the Heath Center , and is going to rent space, and have his own office now. The Health Center had a system with the pharmacy i go too, to help lower cost for there patients. With him leaving this place, the pharmacy i go to, told me they wont even be have Sub in stock anymore, they only had it available because of my Doctor. He told me he will be able to work with me on appointments, that he can match what ive been paying now, finding a pharmacy to fill my script though i think is up too me.

I guess i have to explain to him my situation, maybe he knows of a way to lower my costs..

I find it really lame that Subs have to cost so much!! Here is this drug made to help addicts to stay away from the dangers that come with street drugs, and yet it is so expensive, that buying drugs on the street is cheaper. That makes no sense too me.. I can pay 5 bucks for a methadone of the street, or can pay 8-9 bucks for a sub from the pharmacy. seems counter productive to me.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:54 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Sorry to hear you are going through this. I'm sure its anxiety inducing not knowing how you are going to pay for your prescription. i'm glad to hear that your doctor is willing to work with you on appointments.. that's a step in the right direction and I hope that helps you.
I know what its like to have to pay for your prescriptions out of pocket. My husband and I both do because our health insurance does not pay for our medication. We also have to pay cash for our monthly dr. visits @ $95 each because of our high deductible insurance. Its basically not worth it for us to use our insurance for doctor visits because the deductible is so high and its cheaper for us to just see our doctor as cash patients. My point is that I can definitely understand the financial aspect of being on suboxone!
One thing i want to mention that you might not know about is that there is always a coupon you can use for suboxone films. Its on the RB website. There has always been one available to us since my husband and I started subs almost 2 years ago. Right now, the coupon is good for $50 off your prescription each month. So definitely check out the coupons as they will help a little bit.
Another thing you might want to try (and I don't know if this is an option for you right now) is to see if you are able to cut back on your daily dose of suboxone. The fact that the medication is pretty pricey has been a motivating factor for both me and my husband in cutting back on the amount of sub we get monthly. We both started out taking 2- 8mg films a day, but have cut back to 1/2 - 1 film per day, which has saved us money. Also, cutting back wasn't very uncomfortable for either of us which made things a little easier... But i'm not sure if this is something you are able to do right now. Right now, my husband is prescribed 21 films per month (3/4 film per day) and with the coupon his prescription costs about $104 per month, which is SO much better than the $300/month we used to pay.
I wish you the best of luck and hope something works out for you.

Post subject: Its a no win!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:43 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

If you could somehow convince a Dr to give you the generic brand of subutex it would only be like 4 dollars a pill, still expensive but not as bad. I am self pay and told my doc I could not afford the suboxone anymore and that I would submit to a urinalysis any time she wanted if she would give me the generic subutex, she relented and now I take a generic brand of subutex made by a company called Hi-Tech, they are very small white pills and they work great. I wish you luck. Ben.