It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Oh th itch.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:03 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

What can I take for the itchiness? I feel itchy inside and it. I just started take no Suboxone and I worked myself up to today was the first time I took 4 mg of the film. Last Wednesday was when I was started because of a norco addiction.

I mean the itchiness plus insomnia make it almost impossible to sleep. I nod when I don’t want to. I will adimit that I love opiates but I knew this was going to be the thing that kills me. So I went in and got help. Today since Wednesday was the first real day I started craving pain pills.

I actually would really do any opiate I could get my hands on but norco Tens where available almost all the time. So this is kinda my testimony plus a question on how to stop the itchiness. I called a Walgreens and they said do not take anything like Vistaril without letting your doctor know. There said since it’s probably a side effect of the subs that it wouldn’t do and thing anyways.

So here I am stuck wiggling around trying to get comfortable. I’m determined to stop my drug addiction. I also had a massive addiction to gabapentin which I’ve been able to set aside also.

I was on klonopin for seven years when a doc in TN yanked me off three mg a day because the don’t believe in weaning. I had two grand mal seizures and I had a three month supply so I started to wean myself down. I’m down to .25 three times a day. I hit a wall. But the subs are making it easier to try to come off of it. I have PTSD and OCD. SZaffective disorder. And insomnia. I notice that the subs calm my PTSD nightmares down a bit but also cause them to flare up. So I don’t know. I’m damned if I do and I’m damned if I don’t.

I’m a Christian just trying to do the right thing. So if anyone could help me on answering on the itchiness or give insight into their recovery and how well Suboxone has made their life I would greatly appreciate it.

Post subject: Re: Oh th itch.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:38 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

ANyone?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:14 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

If you're experiencing symptoms of being opioid intoxicated while on Suboxone, be very careful. Itchiness, nodding, even insomnia (buprenorphine is more of a stimulant than other opioids) are a sign that you're likely on too high a dose, and your Suboxone use MAY actually be causing you to be MORE dependent on opioids than you were while taking Norcos.

It's a bad state to be in. Part of you might be enjoying it now, but after your body adjusts and you become tolerant to the effect of Suboxone, you may find yourself actually MORE dependent on opioids than before you went on Suboxone in the first place. If in the future you reach a point where you're over taking Suboxone, you may find yourself regretting the decision to go on it given it'll be harder to get yourself off the Sub, in terms of physical dependence, than it would have been to stop the Norcos. The only thing you'll have going for you is you may be in a place in your life where you're more mature, less impulsive, and in a place of relative stability.

You might think I'm sounding a bit grim. Reason I'm laying it out like this is that the first time I went on Suboxone, I was only using heroin once or twice a week. I was 19 at the time, and a relative newcomer to the world of heroin and opioids. However I was madly in love with the effects, and while I knew I was heading for deep trouble, I couldn't stop myself from using when I could afford it. Suboxone actually got me really stoned at first. I was given 4mg, which was later reduced to 2mg when the doctor saw how pinned and itchy I was in my post-induction appointment.

Looking back, that period of first being on Suboxone was the first time I actually started taking an opioid on a daily basis. My tolerance caught up rapidly. After 3-4 months on Suboxone, I reduced to 1mg and then jumped. I then realised my few months on Suboxone left me far more dependent on opioids than I was prior to commencing treatment.

So be careful. I'd be erring on the side of reducing your dose rather than going with it and letting yourself get further entrenched in the world of opioid dependence.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:52 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Ya I was heading to the harder stuf. Me bing curious me. I knew if someone was to lay down any opioid or opiate I would have done it regardless of what it was.

My brother is either an ex h addict or still is. I just didn’t want to lose my home and all the things he did because of his addiction. I know what you’re saying. I called the doc Yesterday and told them I don’t need 16 mg of Suboxone to make it thru.

I will show them how I’ve been using them in the last week but I asked them do they want to see the unopened film packages I have left. I have nine out of fifteen and was supposed to take at least two films a day. I remember the first day and I was sicker than a dog.

So hopefully today when I see them I can be honest like I have and have it reduced. No reason to be dependent on it more than three months.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:17 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi sonic,

I wanted to reply yesterday but was really busy , but I am so glad TeeJay chimed in here. I agree 110% with Teejay & i was going to say something similar.

In General, Opiates give off that itchiness no matter what kind of opiates you take. it is a side effect of all opiates. Not sure why but all the opaites I have taken , make me itch especially when i took them in large quantities. And... if you are going from norcos to subs. It is not a bad thing to move on to subs. It will help with cravings. It will allow you to only have to take a pill one time a day and get out of the habit of popping norcos all day long.

I would suggest only 4-8mg a day. you will probably not even notice the difference between that and 16mg really. When it comes to Suboxone, less is more. Seriously. you can really get by with a small amount of the stuff because it is powerful. Way more than the norcos. NOw is the time to test yourself and see what the right dose is for you. If you stay on 16mg your body will adjust to it. But.. wouldn't it be nice not to have to take so much every day? I started out at 12mg and slowly worked my way down to 2-4mg . I have stayed there now for years. Everyone's body is different.

Once you continue on with the Subs, the side effects will lessen. you will become adjusted to them. i have been on them for years now and I really can't tell i am on anything except for the fact that I have ZERO craving for other opiates. That is the key, to stay away from the up and down of short acting opiates. Suboxone really will help you level out and feel "normal" again, so you can get your life in order and stop the madness of chasing down pills everyday and running out early.

Good luck , and I hope you find the right dose for yourself

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:15 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

SUbs are a God sent. I mean when I wake up in the morning I nod. I feel this will be overpowered by instincts later on. The doc changed it from 16 to 8 . I told them too because there is no reason I should be on sixteen mg of Suboxone.

The nurse even said I will not have to pay out of pocket that she will get my insurance to pay for it. She sees I’m determined to get off opiates. I’m not a PM patient but I do have leg issues. I just fear if I was going to go into pain management that I’ll end up dead.

I think all of this is working out for my good. I never dreamed there was a med that could stop cravings. I knew about subs I just thought they where just another pain killer they where throwing at ppl.

I’m happy but I also know that these subs come at a hefty price. Maybe not as bad a klonopin withdrawal cold turkey. But still noticeable but if done right I can wean without the pressure of relapse.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:21 pm 

The only opiate/opioid that has ever made me itch was codeine. Nothing else. It seems to be a very individual thing.

The differences in suboxone (buprenorphine) are huge when it comes to treating addicts. The lack of craving and the very ability to taper slowly off, without major withdrawal symptoms are hallmarks of this medication and they make all the difference in the world.

I hope your new dose is better suited to you!

Amy