It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:09 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

The 2 national chain pharmacies in the town when my Suboxone clinic is REFUSE to fill Suboxone scripts. I understand that pharmacists reserve the right to deny any prescription, but these pharmacies will fill the opiates that caused most of us to get addicted in the first place.
I have a huge issue with this, and i'd like to see heads roll!
I've contacted both CVS and Rite Aide multiple times. Both say they are taking the matter higher up. I think if everyone who has had an issue with any national chain should report it to customer service.
My company I go to therapy through is also gathering information on pharmacists asking inappropriate questions and hassling patients when they do actually fill the scripts.
Please add your experiences and contact headquarters! Let's do something about big rx and big pharma!

CVS
(888) 607-4CVS (4287)
customercare@cvs.com

Rite Aid
(800) 748-3243
https://www.riteaid.com/shop/info/custo ... contact-us

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:43 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Admire your activism, sister. I feel very fortunate to have had no problems in this regard at CVS in Massachusetts, and certainly share your anger at such crackpot local policies and abusive treatment of people who suffer from a genuine illness.

I don't immediately get why buprenorphine is such a controversial drug in some places. Yes, there's a black market for it, but for which opiate isn't there? And even when people are buying the stuff on the street, they're often using it to forestall WD symptoms. I've seen right here in the forum that that's actually a fairly common way suffering addicts eventually get into recovery.

This makes no sense at all. What is their reasoning? I guess because suboxone scripts are for addicts. So fine, they're using this medication to treat said addiction. They ought to welcome each and every one of us with a smile and a handshake :D

It's really pretty unconscionable

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:22 pm 

I agree Godfrey, it makes no sense to me personally why so many ppl are so against suboxone. Just like u said, there's a black market for every opiate, why so much negativity with buprenorphine? Unfortunately it happens all the time and it really frustrates the heck out of me!!

My pharmacy is pretty awesome, it isn't one of the big chain pharmacies but still awesome imo. So I can't complain about my pharmacy, but the area around my clinic is another story.

At my last doctor appointment a situation happened that still has me bothered. There's a furniture store next to my clinic and that store's parking lot joins my clinics parking lot. So I think management gets upset about that. So a few patients were outside smoking and sitting on the 2 benches that's there just outside the door of my clinic, waiting for a meeting to start and some seeing the Dr like myself that day. So this guy from the furniture store comes out yelling that whoever is parked in one of their parking places will be towed and the tow truck has already been called. If that wasn't enough, he came over to the benches were ppl were sitting taking pictures of them (thankfully I wasn't there at the time or I would have exploded on this idiot). He stood there taking pictures of "all the drug addicts that this clinic has brought here" and I'm assuming his plan was to take this information to the city council meeting or some bs like that. Why those patients didn't say something to this guy is so annoying to me because I sure would have.

This is just some of the crap we have to deal with in ignorant areas like mine. They want to sit and complain about the drug problems but still very harshly judge us no matter what we do (not everyone of course, I'm just talking about the ppl full of judgment).

It's really upsetting to even discuss because I get so worked up and angry about it...... so most of the time I just try to not let it get to me. But it's awesome to see anyone fight bk in any way we can against ignorance!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:49 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Jennifer,

I so feel your anger.. There's so much prejudice out there against addicts,, mostly around the belief that drug addiction is a weakness, hence a proof of bad character. I have to admit that I've incorporated some of that into my own thinking about myself, even though I know better, and I fight against it. It's common for members of an oppressed groups to do that.

And from the outside looking in, I can understand the prejudice. Addicts steal, addicts lie, addicts often don't work. You have to get below the surface to begin to get an understanding that addicts do all those things because there are stupid, counter-productive laws at play, and because they have a disease that's likely inherited in many cases.

I can even understand the business people who don't want drug clinics in their neighborhood. Mostly they operate out of fear and ignorance. They worry the neighborhood will somehow become a haven for junkies and they'll go out of business. it's dumb, but I get it. Fear's an awful thing.*\

*But of course it doesn't excuse such behavior, not even remotely.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:14 pm 

I understand the prejudice, I wasn't in active addiction until my 30's, and I worked with law enforcement and emergency services for 10 yrs plus I was married to a police officer, heck all I knew bk then was prejudice. I do understand that too for sure. What I don't understand is beating someone down with judgment while they're trying to get help.....even if u disapprove of their means of help. When I was trying to get custody of my daughter bk, my own attorney told me that as long as I was taking suboxone, regardless of having a valid script with my counselor offering to testify on my behalf, he didn't want to take my case in front of the judge because he knows him and knew that judge wouldn't see me any different than using. That wasn't being scared, that was them judging suboxone...... which I guess he's a judge so that's what he does lol. But it's unfair imo.

I'll leave this discussion on that note because u guys don't want an entire book of me ranting and raving lol. I just wanted to share my latest experience :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:17 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Jennjenn that's an incredible story. I can't believe the judicial system views suboxone that way, when I was in trouble the judge thought it was great that I was on methadone maintenance, and worse off than I was before on a few vicodins a day lol

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:49 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

There are definitely a lot of judges who are extremely anti-MAT. Jenn's story is sadly far from unique.

If anyone is truly unable to fill their script, doctors are allowed to order the bupe and dispense it to you themselves. It's actually much cheaper, since the pharmacy isn't tacking on a profit.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:18 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

That would be so easy! But I can readily see why they don't want to keep a supply of
narcotics on the premises. Speaking of "narcotics," it's a word I don't see much anymore, except\in the looser, legal sense. Seems to have been mostly replaced by opiate and opioid.

Always loved the word narcotic. Also "morphine," which is from the Latin Morpheus who was the god of dreams. (For all I know he still is :D

How lovely.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:48 am 

Pugmommy my area is just ugh.... in the Bible Belt southern thinking.....lol u get my drift. I think in my area, it'd be hit and miss to be treated fairly. I'm sure there's fair judges around here but there's just as many that are unfair, so that's great ;)

Hope ur doing great pugmommy!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:36 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

I actually got another call back from CVS they are investigating my complaint. I'll let you know if anything happens!

Only 7 comments (9 but 2 are mine!) and 199 views? Come on, I know you all have pharmacy stories!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:02 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

I feel your pain Sister "M" ...
I had an issue with CVS back in MA.
For the 7 + years I've been taking Suboxone I have had the same Dr. He is in Ft. Lauderdale FL where I spend at least 6 - 7 Months a year. I always have the Script filled at CVS well one time last year My Dr. called in the RX like he had done Dozens of times before But this time I get a call from the Pharmacist on duty saying " I'm not comfortable filling this Rx" ??? I politely asked why and was told the Dr isn't from around here ..... WTF I asked her if she could see my records that Show the Same Dr had been writing the Same RX and I have been filling it at the Same store for YEARS !! Well I don't like it was the answer I got ! I was so pissed off I called CVS Corp. Headquarters' left messages , Emails, etc., etc., etc .... When someone finally called me back they were very understanding BUT told me .... at the end of the day the Pharmacist has the right to refuse to fill a Script no matter how Valid it may Be !!!! I couldn't believe what I was hearing But its true.. I had been on this medication since before this pharmacist had a license to drive But Now that she has a license to fill prescriptions she is going to decide who gets the medication and who Doesn't ...... How the F**K can this be right ????? Something needs to change ... The Stigma that is associated with this LIFE SAVING DRUG just Isn't fair !!!!!
Oh to finish my Story... I went to another CVS about 5 miles away and they filled the RX in about 2 minutes No Questions !!!
That's my 2 cents .... Have a good night !
God Bless !
~ T

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:10 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

TWINPLY wrote:
I feel your pain Sister "M" ...
I had an issue with CVS back in MA.

~ T

Thank for sharing your story. I'm trying something along the lines of addiction is a disability and the disabled can't be denied their medications.
I think the more we complain the faster there will be a solution. I was so mad. I want to make heads roll.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:50 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Last three times I have pick up my buprenorphine from CVS they have asked for my drivers license. I used to use a mom and pop pharmacy but, they refused to fill my RX for .5 clonazepam because the script was from a large county hospital that served indigents.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:23 am 

I was asked for my driver's license this time around too and I am almost positive that it was my insurance making them ask because they know me well there.

Amy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:27 am 

The show of ID is most likely coming from state law. Last year I was asked for the fkrst time and it is indeed a state law .
This has nothing to do with Buprenorphine, but has everything to do with opiates. When I pick up wifes scripts now and then I must show id for them too.

Its a new year, many new laws go into effect. Believe I know. We have some pretty bad ones in effect now where I live.

I go to Walmart, they know me there, mostly. Ive always killed them with kindness, dress well and educate when I feel or hear something that is wroug. Im older..there mostly 20 somethings techs. ..just the way it is..

Raz..

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:33 am 

Good morning All, I sent an email to both! So sorry that anyone has to go through any "drama" trying to get their script filled! Have a good day all! (Running late for work, will add more later!)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:05 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Amy-Work In Progress wrote:
I was asked for my driver's license this time around too and I am almost positive that it was my insurance making them ask because they know me well there.

Amy

i've never been asked for ID ever. picking up subs, family members oxys, father n laws meds (obviously i'm not a 60 yo male)
they only thing i've ever been asked for was date of birth.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:27 pm 

The Walgreens I go to asks for the birthdate when they are looking up the prescription you are looking up. Then when they have the prescription in front of them for the sale they ask for a confirmation of the address. Only rarely have they ever asked for my Driver's license, but when they have they have to enter the license number into their computer. That's why I think it's an occasional insurance requirement. This particular time was the prescription I picked up right after they approved a prior authorization. There are so many different insurance companies that it's hard to figure out who requires what.

Amy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:52 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Amy-Work In Progress wrote:
The Walgreens I go to asks for the birthdate when they are looking up the prescription you are looking up. Then when they have the prescription in front of them for the sale they ask for a confirmation of the address. Only rarely have they ever asked for my Driver's license, but when they have they have to enter the license number into their computer. That's why I think it's an occasional insurance requirement. This particular time was the prescription I picked up right after they approved a prior authorization. There are so many different insurance companies that it's hard to figure out who requires what.

Amy

it could be to collect data. sometimes dollar general or tractor supply or snappys gas station asks for my zip code. i think they gather data to see where a new store would do well or where to spend their advertising dollars.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:20 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I looked up regulations in my state which requires drivers license when picking up a controlled substance for someone else or if the pharmacist is not familiar with the patient. I have been filling at the same pharmacy (now CVS) for over ten years. Maybe it is an insurance regulation but, my guess is that it is a corporate idea.