It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:54 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I have been clean from my doc since Good Friday, April 14th. In August 2009 they discovered an enlarged ovary, possibly cancer. It didn't really hurt, but they prescribed me Vicodin anyway (7.5 @ 2 per day). Why did I even start? Went for a full hysterectomy which was botched (no cancer). Started taking Norco 10's then back to Vicodin. The next year I went for another surgery to repair the first. Didn't work. :(

My MD then continued with the Vicodin but I got used to it. So I kind of felt like I was in a semi-w/d state every day! Switched to Vicoprofen 7.5 & did okay for a bit (maybe 3 or 4 a day), but again semi-w/d feeling. Couple years down the road I asked my Dr. for something w/o Tylenol or ibuprofen, so next up 2 8 mg Dilaudid. Did well for a while then the semi-w/d thing again!!! So now I'm 7 1/2 years on opiates and feeling awful every day.

My Spouse & I own our own business & I was able to maintain my very busy job throughout (thank God). But I had a terrible spending habit & went through $$$$ like water. My brain was very messed up. I knew I had to stop. Mr Dr. had mentioned Suboxone before & I finally decided to take him up on it.

He gave me 60 8/2 mg strips and sent me home. After 12 hours off Dilaudid I put the 8 mg strip under my tongue and it stopped the cravings immediately with no side effects at all. Surely the best induction ever. Very quickly this became too strong & I began to slowly taper my dose. Had some side effects going from 8 mg to 6 mg. Was surprised. I thought the ceiling was around 4 mg. Oh well, I guess it's different for everyone. I'm now doing well on 6 mg. 4 in the AM & 2 in the PM. It's not perfect, but it's better than the mess I had made of my life.

I don't know how long I'll be on Suboxone, but if it's forever, I'm okay with that. The healing has begun.

PS. The spending was stopped in its tracks when I got off of my doc! Yay! :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:18 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Welcome DeeKay, and thanks for sharing some of your story. I'm glad you feel like the healing has begun in your life. It has in mine also, even though it's only been about a month and a half. It sounds like your induction went fairly smoothly. I think it's common for there to be some dosage adjustments in the beginning. We are all different.

If you are anything like me, you're curious as to what it is that you're putting into your body. Buprenorphine is an interesting medication with a lot of benefits, as well as some side effects. I've made good use of my time by reading the posts here and watching Dr. J's videos on YouTube. There is so much information and unfortunately, a lot of misinformation out there. So if you decide to watch Dr. J's videos, pass up the horror stories by others that only focus on the negative. They aren't helpful and only make you more anxious.

I look forward to reading more about you and your husband. Take care for now!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:35 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hi OpenMind and thank you for your response. It sounds like we got started about the same time. It would be nice to stay in touch to see how things progress. I have been reading this forum and trying to learn everything that I can. My Dr. is just an MD so I'm really on my own. I've learned so much from Dr. J's Talk Zone, Posts & You Tube videos. Thanks for the heads up on the negative ones. It's hard to un-read or un-see the negative. I need to stay as positive as I can at this point.

I'm feeling pretty good today. One side effect that I keep having is the small pupils & difficulty focusing. Obviously I can't drive during that so work is suffering a bit. I'm sure I will adjust.

Also since I reduced my dose, I've had some break-through pain from my past surgeries. I'm treating with aspirin now. I may just have to live with it or maybe I will get relief from the smaller doses that others have talked about. Only time will tell.

Again, thank you for your communication!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:37 am 

Hey DeeKay welcome!!

So great to hear about another person having great results from their buprenorphine treatment! Positive attitude is a nice thing to see too. U and OpenMind definitely started around the same time and that's pretty cool knowing u can bounce things bk and forth. When I first started my treatment, there was one guy that induced the same day as I did. We were both in the waiting area sick as a dog lol. The way my doctor does induction is they call u bk into the office and dose u 2mg every 45 min until u reach 8mg. So I'd get called bk then he'd get called bk after I'd get done, I'd get called bk again then he'd get called bk lol. So we literally went through it together. We also stayed on the same meeting schedule for 6 months so we were able to ask each other questions and it was pretty cool. So having someone there in the same time frame is great. U also have all of us now too :)

The ceiling level is supposed to be below 4mg but since being on this forum and with my own experience too, some also say it's actually between 4-6mg or somewhere in that area. It can really depend on the person I think.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:22 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Thank you so much for the welcome Jennifer! I know I'm very very young in this process. I've got a lot of things to figure out. My Dr. is very supportive, but I've already begun to depend on the Forum for guidance & help. I'm thrilled for both doctors here too. Support is pretty critical for me at this point in my recovery.

I've been on 6 mg for about 1 week & its the first time I don't feel any side effects that I can't handle. I don't have any plans to taper dosage because I need some time to feel almost "normal". I know I can't go back & get those 7 1/2 years back. I wonder how things will be now & in the future. I have already begun to mend relationships with my family. It's going to take some time, but I'm determined to heal the wounds that I've caused to due my stupid reactions that were just uncalled for. I cringe when I think of some of the things I've said & done to my family. I pray for myself & for my family constantly right now.

I know that as my body & brain recover there will be other challenges to conquer. I believe that I can do it now because of Suboxone.

Thanks again for your kind words & support!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:17 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

DeeKay a couple of things hit me while reading your last post. I really resonate with wanting to feel "normal" for a while. And you're right, we can't get the years back that we were in active addiction. That is something I'm personally struggling with right now.

The buprenorphine feels like it's a reset button. What I mean by that is that for the first time, in a long long time, I'm not constantly thinking about where I'm going to get my next pill... how am I going to afford it? If I don't have a pill, I'll sweat excessively in social situations... like getting a haircut. For goodness sake, I actually went out and bought a pair of barber's clippers to cut my own hair because I felt so embarrassed by sweating like a pig every time I went to get my hair trimmed.

I would actually plan out social situations around my bowel functions. I knew after a few days of pills that I would be constipated, so I wouldn't go out. Then days it would be diarrhea, so I wouldn't go out. I almost forgot the simple pleasure of using the toilet regularly like a normal person without having to take something to loosen things up or the other way around. I apologize, I don't mean to be crass. But these were very real physical issues I had to deal with on a regular basis. I can't get any of that time back.

The biggest toll was taken on my relationships with family and friends. I would isolate so often, especially if I was experiencing even mild withdrawal symptoms. I just didn't have it in me to be social when feeling sweaty, anxious, nausea, shaky, constant goose bumps up and down my body, aching muscles and headache... the whole bit. I felt ashamed and would often try to convince people that my thyroid was off "again" or just anything to explain away the symptoms I was showing.

All of that dishonesty destroyed any respect that I had for myself. I'm trying to get it back, I really am. Oh but it feels like such a slow process sometimes. I am so lucky to have the people around me that I do. They love me no matter what. Not all of them know about my addiction and treatment, but at some point I'll let them know in good time. I think it's really going to sting for a couple of them, but I owe them the truth. And I know that when I do tell them, so many things will start to make sense to them.

So for now, I am also relying on this forum for support. I'm also willing to be here for you whenever I can. I'm not usually the type to unload my thoughts and feelings so openly, but I know I have to so that I can process it. Then get over it. I encourage you to do the same. This is a safe, no-judgement space for you to just be you. If you feel like you need to talk sometime, please feel free to send me a message. I like the idea of getting to know someone that's going through what I am, even if your circumstances are slightly different. We were both addicted to narcotics and we're both human.

We both have some healing to do... so let's get on with it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:10 am 

One thing I want to point out is over the years, most of us did some pretty shady things to those we love, some of us worse than others. I did awful and desperate things to my family like steal, lie and no trust was left in their hearts for me.... especially my dad. Now things are different and I have gained every single bit of that trust bk. It's been over the course of time and didn't happen over night, but slowly it happened. As long as u earn their trust bk and do the right things, eventually that respect and trust will come bk. A lot of us here can attest to that.

When I first started in recovery with buprenorphine, I got frustrated because I didn't feel like my dad was ever going to trust me again, and one day he did. It's a truly great feeling to experience that again. I had to learn that forgiveness and trust wasn't on my terms but if I did right, it'd happen. That's how it'll go for u guys too. Not saying u did awful things, it could be anything, so be patient and you'll see results :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:30 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Oh my OpenMind can I relate to what you're saying! The names have been changed to protect the innocent :) , but the situations and circumstances are very similar to mine. I know exactly what you're saying. I've run my life around the pills so totally & completely. I feel like I'm taking baby steps right now to adjust my life to some sort of normal.

The Sub has given me the ability to drive to my hair appointment, see a friend, and do the grocery & pet food shopping that I have so neglected (thank goodness for the Internet). As I drive home from work I try to think of all the things I've done differently on that day without those darn pills. This helps to reinforce the positive for me now.

I look forward to us communicating on this journey to our new lives.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:54 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Dear Jennifer, these were exactly the words that I needed to hear right now. It IS possible to regain my relationships with friends & family that I have hurt so badly. I've already begun the work with my family and am seeing some positive feedback ever so slowly. Your words give me hope and for that, I thank you!

Although I'm so new to the process, I can let myself feel just a bit of excitement at the possibility of mended relationships. Only 2 people know about my addiction, my Spouse & one good friend that lives in another city. But the others close to me must surely sense something isn't quite right with me. No doubt about it. I'm afraid they just think I'm a selfish b*^$%, and on pills I really was. I only had thoughts for ME...how I feel, how what you say affects ME, & just ME, ME, ME in general. Boy does that have to go.

Thanks for your uplifting words of wisdom!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:08 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

DeeKay and OpenMind, boy do the memories come flooding back when I hear you two talking about just starting your Suboxone recently. Isn't it the most wonderful feeling you have felt in a ling time, to just feel relief and no withdrawals what so ever? I couldn't believe it. But as time went on and I took my Suboxone as I was prescribed I just kept feeling like my old self again. Like I had never done drugs in the first place. You two will learn so much here on the forum from peoples personal experiences so read up! And by the way welcome to the forum. Sincerely, Bamagirl

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:07 am 

Absolutely! It takes me bk to the days that I realized I could feel normal again without craving pills all day everyday. I actually had peace of mind for the first time in years! I still feel so thankful and grateful to this day that I can live without cravings. I never thought it was going to be possible to ever go bk to life like it was before.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:32 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Bamagurl22 wrote:
DeeKay and OpenMind, boy do the memories come flooding back when I hear you two talking about just starting your Suboxone recently. Isn't it the most wonderful feeling you have felt in a ling time, to just feel relief and no withdrawals what so ever? I couldn't believe it. But as time went on and I took my Suboxone as I was prescribed I just kept feeling like my old self again. Like I had never done drugs in the first place. You two will learn so much here on the forum from peoples personal experiences so read up! And by the way welcome to the forum. Sincerely, Bamagirl

Oh boy do I hope for that day! That must be a wonderful feeling. I have a feeling it's going to be a while before I really feel normal. I'm still trying to find my correct dose. Just when I feel good or have a burst of energy, my pupils go really small and I can't focus very well and I am reminded that I'm a long way from my "new normal".

I'm reading the Forum a lot. I read an Intro & discover another Poster & go search that person and learn more all along the way. I've also just signed up with Smart Recovery today. Looking forward to learning there too.

I've followed your posts too. Thank you for your information & advice. It's greatly appreciated!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:01 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

jennjenn wrote:
Absolutely! It takes me bk to the days that I realized I could feel normal again without craving pills all day everyday. I actually had peace of mind for the first time in years! I still feel so thankful and grateful to this day that I can live without cravings. I never thought it was going to be possible to ever go bk to life like it was before.

Thanks Jenn for the positive outlook! I've only had a couple of cravings that quickly went away...but I realized that this is no miracle drug. I'm going to have to put in the work along with the Bupe to live and STAY clean. I think that I'm still above "my" ceiling, but I can tell I'm getting close.

I'm trying hard not to worry! I've always been a rather anxious person (Bipolar II), but I've been on Seroquel for over 10 years very successfully. I've always been more "manic" than depressed, but there is depression too. I'm hoping having that under control will aid in my recovery.

Thanks for your uplifting words!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:17 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Wow DeeKay - I was diagnosed with Bipolar II also, except I'm the opposite... I'm mostly depressed and have fewer 'manic' episodes. What an interesting coincidence. I took Lamictal for several years. It did it's job at keeping my moods mostly even, you know, not too many highs or lows. But I felt a lingering fogginess and my motivation was almost "0' all the time. I also felt tired, had sleep problems and almost constant tremors. I decided, along with my prescriber's blessing, to go off of the medicine a few years ago.

I thought I was feeling better for a while, and my mind became a little more sharp. It's hard to explain. Of course shortly after that, I was right back to the pain meds and not just for pain. I can honestly say that it's been a consistent road downhill since then and I've been recently thinking about going back on it. I'd still like to see how life is on just the buprenorphine without any other psych meds first. If the mood swings become more of a problem, to the point where I'm having really dark, depressing thoughts, I'll say something.

I just think it's interesting that we seem to have quite a bit in common. Anyway, sorry to go off on a tangent.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:01 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Oh OpenMind, I can relate to your story. I bounced around psych meds for years before I found the one that worked. Seroquel is taken at night and significantly aids in proper sleep. It's been a God send for me. I can totally understand when one was making you feel bad & so many awful side effects. Nothing to do there but get off of it.

It's my understanding the Bupe may help with your Bipolar also. I agree that waiting to see is a great idea. Don't mess around with depression too much. Although the manic part is more prominent for me, when the depression hits (no pill is magic) it hits hard (for me) and that can be dangerous as I'm sure you know.

How are you doing with your current dosage? Have you found a comfortable amount to dose yet? This seems to be a moving target for me right now. I believe that this is totally normal. I wonder where I'll go from here? I hope you're doing well!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:58 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

DeeKay wrote:
Seroquel is taken at night and significantly aids in proper sleep. It's been a God send for me. I can totally understand when one was making you feel bad & so many awful side effects. Nothing to do there but get off of it.

It's my understanding the Bupe may help with your Bipolar also. I agree that waiting to see is a great idea. Don't mess around with depression too much. Although the manic part is more prominent for me, when the depression hits (no pill is magic) it hits hard (for me) and that can be dangerous as I'm sure you know.

Hi DeeKay - I was on Seroquel for a while also. It was more for sleep than for my moods, and it was very effective. I remember the first night I took it, it knocked me out for a day and a half... seriously!! I've been on that and Trazodone for my sleep problems. The one thing that bothered me about both of them was only what I can describe as a 'hangover effect'. I mean serious drowsiness the next day that would linger on for hours. I don't know how I did it but I was on that stuff for years.

It got to the point where I couldn't get natural sleep without them. No matter how tired I would get, I couldn't sleep unless I took either one of them. So I decided to get off of them. Man, it took forever for my sleep cycles to normalize, but once they did I noticed my sleep became more restorative, even if I was getting less hours overall. Seroquel used to give me really strange dreams sometimes, too. Not pleasant but not exactly nightmares. I don't know how to explain it. Just very surreal and strange, but VIVID.

Thanks for asking about how I've been doing. I sent you a PM so maybe you could check that when you get a chance. I feel the most stable on my 16 MG dosage of Bupe right now, thankfully. It seems like it took several weeks to get it right. I don't know if that is normal but that's just the way it went for me. You said that this medication might help with the Bipolar... that would be awesome!! At first, I think I was feeling the little bump in mood so many people talk about. I also feel like that has leveled out and I 'feel' normal more than anything. But that's what I was hoping for for a long time so I'm content.

If you don't mind me asking... how do you cope with your manic phases? As we discussed earlier, mine are more depressed than overly active. Although I'll sometimes go for 3 days at a time without being able to sleep. No matter how tired I am my mind just won't shut off. Occasionally, I'll have brief periods of time when I feel on top of the world. I have to watch that I don't become impulsive. I've never tried to hurt myself, although getting addicted to drugs was certainly harmful. But I have spent too much money a few times, felt high strung and agitated. Maybe engaged in behavior I wouldn't normally do, etc. I don't really know anyone else with the condition and I wonder if there is something I should consider trying. Thanks for your time DeeKay!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:54 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Open minded
I too suffer from bipolar but spend most of my time manic which causes me to be impulsive an engage in behavior that is far from appropriate the one difference is I have hurt myself several times in the past.. since being on suboxone I've been pretty leveled out for the most part but I'm also on Prozac and gabipentin.. oh by the way in new here my name is Kristin/dolphin3683

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:20 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

dolphin3683 wrote:
Open minded
I too suffer from bipolar but spend most of my time manic which causes me to be impulsive an engage in behavior that is far from appropriate the one difference is I have hurt myself several times in the past.. since being on suboxone I've been pretty leveled out for the most part but I'm also on Prozac and gabipentin.. oh by the way in new here my name is Kristin/dolphin3683

Welcome Kristin! Sounds like all 3 of us have been diagnosed as Bipolar. I'm so glad to hear that you feel comfortable on Sub & your Prozac. That could be very helpful for you. I know my Seroquel sure has been for me.

I hope you continue to read the Forum and do visit Dr. Junig's Talk Zone too. It's very helpful. Best of luck to you!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:31 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hi everyone! I just wanted to chime in because I also have some similar experiences. I have posted on here about having bipolar 2, taking Lamictal (which is the only med I find to be really helpful), my struggles with opiates inducing hypomania, always followed by horrible depressions. Finally, I have been on Suboxone for 3 months and my moods are the most balanced they have been in years. Not sure if it will continue like this, but I hope so. So, I just wanted to chime in, let you know I'm part of the club, let you know I have some posts you can read, and give everyone hope. This is a great site. Best place for information and support. Read, read, read, and ask for help/ support when you need it. Glad to have everyone!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:47 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hello Kristin and Tragicom - welcome to the party. This is very interesting. I didn't think I would run into too many people with the disorder. I know it's a deeply personal matter so I appreciate you both chiming in here. There isn't much mental illness in my circle of friends so I don't get to talk to too many individuals that truly understand what it is that I'm going through. It's so hard to describe to others and as much as my friends try to understand, the depression and mood swings almost has to be lived to be understood.

Like I mentioned before, I was on Lamictal (lamotrigine) for several years like you Tragicom. For me it was probably the best medication I had tried for the disorder. A lot of the others such as Depakote, Seroquel, Zyprexa, Lithium, Geodon, etc., just had way too many side effects. In looking over that list which doesn't include everything I've tried, I can't help but to feel a little disgusted, embarrassed, and some guilt. That's a lot of serious medications, and I can't believe that I've been on so many.

You know, my view on medications is much different than what it used to be. Knowing what I know now, I never would have tried all of those. I mean I feel like a poster child for the pharmaceutical industry... like my body is a toxic waste dump for medications. It sickens me, but I needed help back then. I have to remind myself that when I was younger, it just took a lot of work to find something that helped with side effects that I could endure on a daily basis. I went through a lot of suffering. To this day I wish I could get back some of those years as well as the years I was addicted to pain meds.

I just can't let myself go down memory lane though... too many bad memories. I am who I am because of my struggles. They're a part of me, but they don't define me... anymore. This is the longest period of time I've gone without any psych meds since before I actually started them right after high school. I suffered horrible anxiety as a teen and was put on Valium after I graduated. It wasn't until I was in my early 20's that I had my first "breakdown". And after that it was a while before I was properly diagnosed with Bipolar II.

I wish I would've found out a lot sooner because I could have gotten better, more effective treatment right away, instead of trying med after med after med... Blahh I hated it. Eventually I found the right combination of Lamictal, Xanax and Trazodone for sleep. Of course that's not counting all of the opiates I eventually got my hands on. Wow, that's a lot of powerful medications. I'm glad there weren't too many complications. I was lucky too, I know that for sure. Another one of my weaknesses was MDMA, also known as Ecstacy. Great for going to raves and dance parties but bad for my serotonin reserves. But that's another story :D

It's nice to see some others that can relate. Thanks again for speaking up!!