It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Introduction
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:29 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

[font=Georgia] [/font]
My name is Jennifer and being completely honest I have joined this forum because my sub doctor wants me to gain some form of therapy; whether it's NA/AA meetings, talking with a pastor, or this forum. I decided on this forum because I don't like going to meetings; going is definitely a trigger for me.
I was a heroin addict (IV) for about 12 years; I lived on the streets and committed various crimes for a living. I truly did not believe I would ever make it off the streets; I knew I would end up either in prison or found dead in the woods like the rest of them. Back in 08` I decided I didn't want to die out there and so I begged my parents to help me one more time. We all moved here to Tennessee (from Bradenton Florida). Initially, I hid in the basement eating hand-fulls of seroquel, hiding from the normal people.
I went three years without doing any opiates and I was honestly very happy. I even enrolled in college online and gained my Associates in Interdisciplinary Studies. Then, I had elective plastic surgery and was prescribed percocets. That's all it took for me to turn into a full blown junkie all over again. However, here in the middle of nowhere all I could get my hands on were morphine. My GPA fell from a 4.0 to a 3.6. That's bad for me. Eventually, I found subutex. Used it when I couldn't find any pills. Then, I got smart and said enough is enough, I have come too far to do this crap again, and so I found a suboxone doctor in Chattanooga. This stuff is literally heaven sent! I only take one and 1/2 a day and realistically that's all I need. My GPA is back up and I am thrilled that I found something that works. Throughout my many years spent in addiction I had tried everything from methadone to subutex to going cold turkey, but this suboxone takes the cake. My goal here is to gain some type of fellowship with others in similar situations. Thanks...Jennifer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:20 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey there!

I'm a Jennifer from Tennessee too! It sounds like you are doing well with your treatment. I'm glad you found this forum. Just out of curiosity, did you say your doctor recommended it? That's great if he did. I have found that alot of doctors in my area don't like these kind of boards. Of course, it's possible they have never seen this one and are judging it based on others out there. I think our little forum is quite unique in the support we get here.

Welcome in! Let us know if we can support you in any way.

Q

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:34 am 

Welcome, Jennifer! I consider this forum to be part of my recovery and I hope it becomes a place that is helpful to yours as well. There is a lot of collective wisdom here as well as a lot of good, kind people. I have made close friends here.

I think you will find this forum to be a very balanced place regarding sub. For a lot of us, suboxone is a life-changing positive. For a few, sub seems to be almost toxic to them. (They tend to be very vocal, as if only their experience and opinion matters.) But even folks who are anti-sub for themselves can be helpful to the forum.

I hope you find what you're looking for here!

Amy

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:15 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

[font=Georgia] [/font]
Thanks you two. Number one, yes, my doctor did recommend this site. Initially he wanted me to attend the regular NA/AA meetings; and even though I knew better I went ahead and went to a few. For me, meetings the old fashion way are a trigger. All throughout my many years spent in addiction I probably attended 5,000 meetings. Again, for me, I had mostly negative experiences, typically leaving or at least hooking up with someone from a meeting and going to get high. After I explained this to my O SO Cool and understanding doctor, he told me about this forum. So far, I really think this site is going to be a good fit for me.
Question: Are there any sort of timed/dated meetings to attend on this site? If so I do believe it could be beneficial for me.
Thanks again and thank you both for the warm welcome!
Jennifer V. :)