It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: introduction
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:20 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hello everyone, not sure if I posted in the appropriate spot, I use my phone as my computer. I need to formally introduce myself, I am Dana, have been on buprenorphine for 2 plus years. Same story as alot of others, started using vicodin recreationally. When my life took some uncontrollable twists and turns, started to abuse and ended up in a methadone clinic. I'm happy to see such a forum, you all seem to really care about and help each other. I will be (hopefully) looking forward to chatting with some of you soon!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:40 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Dana and welcome! Thanks for taking the time to introduce yourself and tell us a bit about yourself. We're glad you joined us and hope you stick around. :)

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:41 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

thanks Hat! i have been trying to introduce myself for months now, it took awhile to figure it out since i use my phone for a computer. you seem very educated on suboxone, maybe you could give me advise on once a day dosing please? i am having problems with that and need to change. thank you for all your wise words i have read that you shared with others.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:28 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'd be happy to discuss this with you, Dana. How many times are you dosing/day right now? And are you taking sub for addiction only or for pain control as well? If you're only taking it for addiction then ideally, dosing once per day is the way to go. Suboxone has a long half-life...on average it is 37 hours. Therefore, dosing once per day is all that is needed. (In some countries, they only dose once every other day.)

The reason this is so important is to help us break the habit of popping pills throughout the day whenever we feel that we "need something". If you're dosing more than once per day then that's what you're doing now. But don't feel bad, because many people start out that way. AND - many doctor tell their patients that it's OK to dose more than once daily. Although to be honest I don't know why they do that, because with the long half-life there's simply no need to dose again until the next day. Now before I go any further, this is all based on the assumption that your dose is quite comfortably above the ceiling (~4 mg).

If you're still dosing more than once per day, but you find you're having a hard time cutting that back, just try to do it slowly. Let me know how many times you're dosing and we'll try to figure it out.

But know this: YOU ARE NOT ALONE IN THIS. So many people come here to the forum dosing more than once per day. Some people spent their whole sub treatment dosing twice per day and were just fine. It's just IDEAL to dose once daily. It's always best to extinguish as many old active addiction habits as you can while on suboxone. And that includes taking SOMETHING during the day. I hope this makes sense.

I'm rambling now....Let me know if this makes sense and if you have questions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:32 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

thank you sooo much for responding. for addiction only, 16 mgs per day. i started this way as prescribed by my dr. 2 years now. i wish i was more educated then, now i feel trapped into it. not only do i want to dose once to break a habit, i feel it would also make tapering easier. i tried it, later my back was covered in sweat, always my first sign of wd. i had it in my head that it wouldnt happen, i used to dose once with methadone and be fine.?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:38 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

How many times a day are you dosing? Are you dosing at the same time(s) every day? How you go about getting rid of the extra dose(s) depends on those things. But either way, you could slowly lower the amount of your extra dose until you can finally just cut it out altogether. That's worked for many people, I believe.

Perhaps others who have done it themselves will come along with their experience. I'm also on sub for pain, so I unfortunately will always have that behavior, good or bad (that's another discussion altogether).

Are you dosing when you have stress or particular anxiety in your day? If you do, then that's definitely an issue to address in whatever way you see fit. Personally, I see an individual therapist. That works best for me and my particular issues.

But chances are that with you on 16 mg, you're probably not having withdrawals midway through the day. It's theoretically possible that you're a "fast metabolizer", but that's not very common and your dose should still last longer than that, I would think, but I'll admit right now that I don't know much about that. However, I do think the chances are more likely that it's psychological in that you think you're having withdrawals. I don't mean this in an offensive way. I just mean it's extremely common with us addicts. We feel a sniffle due to an oncoming cold and we immediately think "WITHDRAWALS"! It's THAT COMMON!

I'm droning on, so I'll stop here...Hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:31 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

thank you again for your help. i dose twice a day, 8 and 8. i am taking generic buprenorphine, they are half the size of a tic tac, it is so hard just to break them in half { i think they are making them that way on purpose, they caught on to what we are doing with breaking them up to taper, so we have to buy 2 mgs} anyway, i have tried to break this addictive cycle and failing miserably. it also makes it hard to taper. i feel like a lost cause, and worse yet, i have to see my doc next week and i know he is wanting me to go down. any advise? you seem so level headed on all of this. thanks again hatmaker.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:23 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

First of all you are NOT a lost cause. Get that idea out of your head. Now, tt seems to me that you have two issues: Reducing your daily dosing and a doctor who wants you to taper more quickly that you think you're ready to. And these are NOT insurmountable. You can deal with your doctor and even if you can't get your dose lowered, well, that wouldn't be the end of the world.

I'd say just be honest with your doctor. Explain to him/her why you feel you're not ready to taper, whether that be you have cravings when you lower your dose or you're afraid of relapse or it's just too soon for you or whatever. If it's because of FEAR, be honest about it.

If you want to try reducing your afternoon dose, why not try taking only half a pill in the afternoon instead of a whole? You shouldn't notice any difference. Take 12 mg in the am and 4 mg in the pm, or give it a try and see how it goes. If that works, then I'd stick with that for awhile before you try to drop down again. Give yourself time to adjust for a bit.

Again, these are things that can be dealt with. YOU can deal with this!!! Hang in there. :)

PS thanks for the kind words. Believe me, I'm not always level-headed. I have my moments!

Post subject: Hello & Welcome....
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:39 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Hi Dana,
Congrats on deciding that you want a better life for yourself! You have been trading post' with one of the Best people to help you through this difficult time. Hatmaker is one of the most knowledgeable Moderators and has been out here helping people for a while. I just wanted to jump in a say hello and let you know that you are NOT alone. Also as Hat said you are NOT Worthless.... Remember this: " WE are not bad people trying to be Good.... We ARE Sick people trying to get BETTER !! I am also in the process of tapering down from 16 mgs / Day. I am doing it by using the Film Strips and it seams to be a lot Easier then trying to cut the Pills??
Well keep up the good work and please keep posting your progress and questions.... That's why this Forum is here!!!
Best of Luck.

God Bless
TW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:07 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

thanks for stepping in twin ply! how is your taper going? i see posts on here all the time about people dropping from 16 to 6 with little problem. i just really dont understand that. i was so proud of myself for being on suboxone, up until 6 months ago, i dont know what changed. hat, do you think i should lower each dose or find some way to dose only once? twin ply, i take generic bupe, smaller than a tic tac. i amvhaving a hard enough time affording those, let alone strips. i dont getvthis whole generic thing, they are almost as much as brand name.? thank you two for any advise you share with me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:42 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You can alter or reduce your dose however you feel the most comfortable. If that means "moving" 2 mg from your afternoon dose to your morning dose, then try that. If it means cutting out 2 mg altogether, then try that. But what is it you want to accomplish first - cutting out the second dose, or reducing your overall dose?

Right now it seems to me that you are pretty anxious about all of it right now. Can you look inside and figure out why? If you can decipher what it is that has you anxious, then maybe you can ascertain what your next step is. My point is if you can relax while trying to change your second day dosing, that would serve you best. Don't put so much pressure on yourself about it. That will make it so much harder for you. Just try to cut your afternoon pill up if you can and take a portion of it and see how you do. Don't worry about measuring it or getting the perfect amount. Take a partial pill then forget about it. Don't even EXPECT to feel any different. The more we expect to feel bad, well, the worse we actually end up feeling.

Experiment with it and see how you do. And let us know how it goes! :) And be optimistic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:23 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

thank you for all your wise words. i am actually wanting to do both, but first i want to get to daily dosing, i feel it is most important right now to break addictive cycle. and i believe it will make dosing easier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:49 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Tomorrow, I'm dosing once with 8mg. For me, I think it will be much easier. I dosed today after I got upset about something...JUST like I did on pain pills! I could kick my own butt...but, after I did it...I realized what I had done. It just goes to show that just taking Suboxone isn't the cure all. Its goina take work. We addicts have to learn how to cope with the stress in our lives without that hellish pill. I'mma work in progress :grin:
One of the things about pain pills I hated was how it consumed my every day. When would I be able to take another one...Do I have enough for the week etc etc...I hated it! I'm on day 2...and ALREADY feel some accomplishment! But yeah, I screwed up...Tomorrow will be better...live and learn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:56 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Cherish, please don't be so hard on yourself. It happens and it definitely takes time to build new coping skills and change our habits. It took time to form those habits and we can't break them overnight. The key is that you NOTICED what you did. That's the first step. Have you ever tried meditation? Or even just deep breathing? Or mindfulness exercises? They all work well for relaxation. And that works for anxiety and staying in the moment. Anxiety is usually caused from worrying about the future - things that haven't happened yet. So mindfulness and meditation keep you in the moment. I hope that makes some sense.

Good luck and keep up the great work. You'll get there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:10 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

No, I've never tried anything like that. I'd be interested definitely! What is mindfullness excersises? If it works, I'm game. TY for for your kind reply :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:36 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Mindfulness is being fully and completely in the here and now, in the moment only. Mindfulness exercises can be anything in which you focus on something in the NOW. It can be your breathing or it can be to spend two solid minutes studying every single detail of a ball point pen (or any other object). It's like meditation. When we are completely in the here and now, we let go of our anxiety and worry, because that's all based on tomorrow's and what-might-happen's.

Mindfulness is also very powerful to get in touch with your own self-awareness and our physical body. And that helps to identify your feelings, responses, reactions, etc, to things - our body can tell us much about our feelings, especially if we happen to be avoiding those feelings.

Do some Google research on Mindfulness and Mindfulness exercises, along with guided imagery. That's a good way to start meditation (guided imagery). Some sites you'll find will have free mediation/imagery tracks that you can download to your computer to practice with.

Lastly, in the "Chronic Pain" section of the forum, there should be a sticky post at the top with a thread I authored about Guided Imagery/meditation/self-hypnosis. It's a long, detailed post, but I tried to give a fair amount of information so that people could start trying to do it on their own. Maybe that could help you start working on meditating.