It is currently Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: INTRODUCTION
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:26 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello,

I am a new member of this forum and I want to explain my situation as it is somewhat different than the norm. I am on Suboxone at 6 MG a day broken into 1 MG strips by me through the day. The reason I take it this way and the reason I am on Suboxone is for Long Term Pain management. It might seem controversial but many are doing this. Taking smaller doses through the day is the best way for pain relief. In 2015 the FDA approved the medication Belbuca for pain. belbuca contains the ingredient Buprenorphine but the medicine is extremely expensive and my Insurance diverted my doctor to substitute by taking Suboxone. I found many others, however, already on Suboxone for pain. Look it up it is true. I cannot take oral opiates for I have a stomach illness and they aggravate
my stomach REAL bad. So, Suboxone film is sublingual and therefore I tolerate it. Also, I found that this does work for me. I can say this however, I did become dependent on opiates after surgeries and I was given Suboxone to help and I found then it also helped with pain. However you draw it up, I am on Suboxone and di have a dependency that lead to me taking it. I do not intend on staying on it for the rest of my life but it has been 5 years so my body is tolerant to it. I have had many obstacles as a result because of its blocking mechanism and other doctor issues like "Your on Suboxone OH Bad Bad addict here! My prescribing doctor always advocates for me like when I have to go to the hospital with pain not controlled enough by Suboxone. Also I must be careful with withdrawal and other issues. but here I am and I have tremendous insight into this medicine and into dependency.

Post subject: Re: INTRODUCTION
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:27 am 

vpasqual welcome!

This forum is one of the most educated and informed on the internet in my opinion, we understand exactly what ur describing about pain management. We've had all walks of life (concerning bupe) post and be members here. The doctor who created this forum is also a prescribing doctor of this medication (Suboxdoc). We also have another member who is a doctor (docm2).

As far as pain management goes with suboxone, some ppl do say it helps their pain. As for myself, it's never really helped any pain I've had.... but I'm not a chronic pain patient. I take it for addiction only and my dose is about 6-8mg a day. A lot of us on this forum have been taking this medicine longer term, some have pain issues along with addiction. I know some of the ppl who do have pain issues split their doses up throughout the day also like u do :) so ur in good company.

Post subject: Re: INTRODUCTION
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:44 pm 

Your situation isn't new to our forum. If I'm having a bad pain day I break my dose up into smaller doses and it helps me. However, I'm mainly on it for addiction.

The overwhelming majority of the people on our forum are the "bad, bad addicts" that you mention you've been accused of. The stigma is something that most of us have had to deal with, dating back to when addiction was considered a morality issue as opposed to a brain disorder. Thank goodness the science has finally shown how addiction works to change the brain and makes it much more difficult to stop than previously imagined. In my mind, I have nothing to be ashamed of, and the other addicts here have nothing to be ashamed of. We are doing our very best to be in recovery despite some terrible odds. I hope that more and more doctors understand the disorder and we are no longer met with judgment.

Welcome to the forum!

Amy