It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Introduction
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:16 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello everyone! I just discovered this forum in the wee hours of this morning. I was so excited to find information here about Suboxone as I take 8mg twice a day for fibromyalgia, severe arthritis, Lupus and a very messed up back. I took Fentenyl prior to the Suboxone but it kept me bedridden for years. Finally, I begged my doctor to put me on something else and I have now been on Suboxone for about 5 years and I have no intention of stopping Sub anytime in the near future.

My doctors have decided that a breast reduction would go a long way in relieving my neck, shoulder and back pain and it would get rid of the constant yeast infections under my breasts, as well. I have seen my plastic surgeon twice and he scheduled the reduction for the last week in August or even earlier if my current infection heals enough. This plastic surgeon is one of the best BUT he admits that he does not handle pain meds or anesthesiology and he has no idea what Suboxone is. He wants my pain management doctor to handle all of my post op pain meds but the pain mgmt doctor is out of town for three weeks so I am currently trying to arm myself with as much information as possible regarding staying on my Suboxone, even at a reduced dose and still having the surgery, if possible. I also want to know about any alternatives so I don't have to stop the Suboxone. I'm absolutely terrified!

Sincerely
suboxforpain

Post subject: Re: Introduction
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:08 am 

Hey, welcome! Glad ya found us.

Go to the Surgery and Suboxone section on this forum, there's tons of information there to read through. I personally haven't had to have surgery while on suboxone, so I can't give ya much advice on it. But others have and they'll be around shortly.

Keep us posted!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:44 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I provided some information, and posted the info that I usually give to surgeons, on your other thread. One thing I forgot to answer there-- being on buprenorphine does NOT make it more likely that you will wake up during surgery. Buprenorphine works only on opioid receptors. Taking BENZOS, on the other hand, CAN cause a higher risk of recall during some surgeries.

Most anesthetics are not affected by opioids OR benzos. For example propofol, or the inhaled agents, do not share tolerance with those drugs-- and so staying 'asleep' is not a problem.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:05 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you so much for replying so quickly suboxdoc. Your information is so valuable. I appreciate all your hard work on behalf of people that rely on Suboxone for whatever reason. Again, thank you.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:07 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi jenjen! Thank you for the warm welcome and for the info. Hugs!