It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Introduction Post
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:11 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I've been reading these forums for several years. I even posted some while pregnant and on Suboxone but forgot my login so I created a new account. Before commenting on the reg threads, I thought I would share my story here. While its personal to me, I'm sure it's a story most of you will understand.

In 2008, I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia and my dr suggested Lortab 10s 4x/day for my pain. I had been taking tramadol but it wasn't working well. I had dabbled with pills recreationally in my college days but was never addicted to them. But I remember liking them so I took the prescription.

In 2010, things got worse when I had a spinal cord injury then had spinal fusion surgery on my c6-c7. I sufferered peripheral neuropathy as a result amd was prescribed Percocet 10s 6x/day. Yall already know it didn't take long before I was addicted and was taking more than prescribed, started running out every month, it was a vicious cycle.

It wasn't until I got pregnant that I tried to quit. No dice, that wasn't working well. My OB sent me to the methadone clinic which I continued until after the baby. I them tapered to 30 mg and switched to suboxone in April 2012.

I used suboxone without a prescription until dec 2014 when I got into an actual sub clinic. I had been taking low doses (<2mg) on my own but my new Urologist turned "Addiction Specialiat" recommended a higher dose. I take responsibility for my urge to take more but in my mind, the doc was promoting a higher dose and it was legal right? Such stinkin thinking. I got up to 24mg but decided 16 mg was more reasonable (lol yes I thought that). I stayed there until December 2015 when I'd finally had enough. I want off all opiates.

So I weaned down to 1.4 mg Zubsolv (~2mg suboxone they say. I switched at one point bc insurance). Now my dr says any discomfort from stopping under my current dose is "all in your head." Excuse me while I put away my side eyes. He obviously is clueless.

That brings me here. I'm researching the liquid taper method using an alcohol solution and cotton to microdose. I'm sure I'm going to have questions. I'm also experimenting with supplements to jump start my own neurotransmitter production. I appreciate this forum and the work yall put in here. I'm going to try to read as much as possible since I feel like I'm on my own to figure this out. That makes this forum invaluable.

Stephanie

Post subject: Re: Introduction Post
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:54 pm 

Welcome to the forum Stephanie!

U definitely came to the right place for support and knowledge from others just like u and even a couple doctors, like Dr J (who started this forum) and docm who's also a dr that visits this forum often....So there's so much positive support going on her :)

I personally can't give ya much information or advice on tapering off because I haven't done that to lower doses and don't plan to either, but I sure wanted to welcome u. I've been on suboxone for 4yrs now and I could be for life. That's just what's best for me though and I completely support everyone's own journey and personal choices, we're all different in our choices. Be sure to check out the Stopping Suboxone section, there's gonna be a lot of info there that will help u with ur tapering off. There's ppl who taper to a very very low dose. From what I have heard here, slow and steady wins the race.

Glad u joined us and hope u stick around. There will be others along shortly to welcome u too. Good luck on ur taper!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:55 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Welcome Stephanie, glad you came here lots of great info on tapering and jumping I learned so much from this place. I never tried micro dosing when I was tapering but I had a hard time getting low so I ended jumping from about half a mg. I'm not familiar with zubsolv but if they are strips cutting them up worked pretty well up to that point, it was kind of a pain in the butt but it was worth it. I bought a small sharp pair of scissors and didn't have any issue cutting down to .25 size pieces. What kind of a timeline are you trying to do and how far down are you planning to get before jumping? If you don't mind me asking.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:38 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Thanks for the welcome! I definitely think there are people who can benefit from long term use. I may be one of them. I have chronic pain and suboxone in really low doses helps it. but I've never been opiate free since all of my diagnosis so I'm curious what that feels like, if I can address my conditions more holistically. Cannabis is helping so much. And that's part of my motivation to quit. Unless I stop cannabis, I'm being kicked out of the program. I think that's such a silly choice to have to make but I won't go on that soapbox now lol.

I don't have a set date. I really try to listen to my body in tapering. It takes me about a week after dropping to feel better. Today I took 800 mcg and feeling just the slightest restlessness and lack of motivation. A tsp of Kratom or a few drops of Akuamma seed tincture goes a long way for me when I drop. I also take DLPA, Mucuna Pruriens, l-tyrosine, magnesium, vit D, and 5-HTP. I really believe the herbs help.

My plan right now is to drop 100mcg every 10-14 days. It's a long taper but I'm ok with that. If I get to a point where I can't stabilize, that when I jump. Otherwise, I'll go down to 100mcg then 0. When I do the things I should - eat right, exercise, take my supplements - I feel good so far - not just ok but actually good.

Thanks again for the welcome. I'm trying to keep positive as I think thats key.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:18 pm 

Hi Stephanie, Welcome! There are some similarities between your story and mine! I too experimented with opiates through the years always being able to take them or leave them until I was prescribed tramadol for osteoarthritis in 2013. Than started my script not lasting the full month and purchasing it from the internet. Fast forward to August of 2014 when they changed the class of drug for tramadol making it almost impossible to get! I then started on suboxone and it has saved my life! I started at 24mgs and have weaned down to 4mgs. I am going to be rooting for you!