It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:09 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi everyone,

I used this forum in 09 when I tried to do a rapid taper off Oxy's with Suboxone. That failed. Forgot about the forum. Bounced back and forth for a while, until 4/2010, when I went to a sub doc and now have almost 6yrs with no screw-ups. It helped me get my life back and I'm SO grateful. AND, I've seen friends try to kick suboxone only to end up either MISERABLE &/or screwing up and doing pills or dope.

I tapered down to 2mgs/1x day about 3 years ago. (Once I made it to .5, and then had a tooth extraction. So.... that didn't last.) Back up to 2; 2mgs seems to be my plateau (& from what I've read, that's fairly common.) It doesn't do anything to me except keep me well & is 'insurance' I won't screw up.

I had one close call shortly after 5yrs where I tried to taper again, was down to 1mg, felt ill, was at a family members house and there was a huge bottle of oxy's in the bathroom. I never touched it, but my heart beat quickly, sweating, couldn't sleep (b/c of w/d or b/c I knew I could override my subs?) That's been THE ONLY CRAVING I've had since 2010, shocked me, and it was recent.

I have chronic pain issues (including neuro issues) of many types. That's how I began my love affair with oxy's, and since being off, I've learned to "suck it up," that Advil ACTUALLY works somewhat, medical MJ and Suboxone does help a bit. I also have loads of dental work & major ankle surgery looming. This CONCERNS ME about going off subs. My sub doc & I have an "agreement' that I'm allowed to test positive for THC because it calms my migraines, bells palsy, and neuropathic pain. He's a good doc, it's not a clinic setting, and he treats me for anything family practice.

I take Valium and Adderall (prescribed) but not daily. I only take them about once a week, maybe twice. Don't need another habit. I drink, not like crazy but if I'm in pain/unable to sleep/in withdrawal, I'm no stranger to alcohol. (Once I can legally smoke, alcohol will decrease.)

I'm going on medical marijuana shortly and my insurance switched to medicaid. I can't test positive for MJ on Medicaid & still get suboxone. I'd prefer to just be able to ingest THC & CBD. I'm thinking I'm going to have to try and taper soon. Again, I'm worried about surgeries. I don't ever want to *feel* opiates again.

I'll post in the taper section, but wanted to introduce myself & give a brief outline of my 'stuff.'

Thanks & take care,
~B

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:54 pm 

Thanks for telling us your story and we're glad to have you back! I settled around 2 to 3 mg a day depending on pain levels.

I just wrote a personal story in another post about traveling to my Dad's and seeking out pain meds without really even thinking about it! Fortunately I sat down and thought about what I had done and put the pain meds back without taking any. As I said in the story, the only thing that kept me from gobbling those pills was my dose of bupe, and knowing that to feel the pills I would have to wait until the bupe wore off. Going on autopilot makes you vulnerable! I certainly understand the whole breathing heavy and sweating though.

Amy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:20 am 

Welcome back missbmore :)

There's lot's of us addicts who have pain issues along with addiction (not me but there's a lot). I said in an earlier post somewhere how difficult it must be to be an addict with pain. That's a whole new set of issues on top of everything else and I'm sure it's tough. Suboxone is such a wonderful tool for that. Good luck on ur upcoming surgery.