It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:24 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

[font=Arial] [/font]
Hi, this is the first posting for me. I have been reading through the forum, and found the YouTube SuboxDoc, as I have been dealing with getting off of opiates, or better yet my not getting off them. After all I should be able to just quit right? I can't - they have moved from pain control - to dependency - to addiction. I am weary.

I finally did the research on suboxone, and found a local clinic with a doctor who has an opening. They have been incredibly helpful so far. That's a hard phone call to make. Then the next hardest thing for me was to share my dependencies with my wife. She was awesome.

I have a few questions.

1- I have read throughout the forum that 24 hours since the last dose seems to be the right time before the office visit. They asked me to arrive in light to moderate w/d's.

I figured I have been on rougly 100-120mg's of oxycodone (not oxycontin) - combination of Perc's and plain oxy. It has grown over the years - starting from lortab - then later percocet - and it takes more and more to even "feel normal"...

Anyway, is 24 hours the right timeframe?

2- Should I expect to have w/d's after I take whatever dose the doctor gives me?

3- Long ago, I was treated for anxiety with .75mg of Clonazapam, and .5mg of Alprazolam. Will the .5mg of Alprazolam make me ineligible for Subox treatment?

I've tried a few times with cold turkey - and always limited success, same story as everyone else - live through the insomnia, sweats, bowels, runny nose, etc.. I am too weak on my own as I have learned. I'm scared, but ready to face what consequences with w/d's there may be, as I owe this to myself and my supportive family.

I see hope in the suboxone treatment program - and there are counseling/meetings also required from my initial conversation on the phone with the nurse.

THANKS FOR ANY ADVICE from real experience people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:59 pm 
Hi Dude! Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on making that first step - making the decision and then making the phone call are where it all starts. Now keep that appointment and get on the path to recovery with the rest of us!

1) Yes - 24 hours off short acting opiates (lortab, percocet) should be perfect to put you into some mild/mod withdrawals. When I went in, I was at a little over 24 hours, had the runny nose, hot/cold flashes/gooseflesh, aching to the bone legs, enough to be uncomfortable but not anywhere near full blown miserable deep withdrawal. So you should be fine on that.
2) No - You should not expect to feel withdrawals after you are given your first Suboxone dose. It should be the opposite-you should perceive that your withdrawal symptoms have abated. Sometimes it takes a second dose to get you completely comfortable, but you will definately feel better leaving that office than you did going in!
3) As for your anxiety meds - disclose this info fully to your doctor. It seems there are a lot of docs who don't want you on any other meds while on Sub, but other docs are willing to work with you on the issue and help you get off any other types of meds you be on that are addictive and/or dangerous to be taken in conjunction with Suboxone. Rarely have i heard of docs flat out turning you away because of other meds you're on.

I'm so glad you have a supportive family and that you are ready to do this for yourself. I don't think you'll ever regret it. Suboxone along with some counseling and/or support groups can really give you the chance to learn to live your life again without the madness of addiction screwing everything up anymore.
Let us know how it goes!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:08 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Thanks Setmefree!

I am amazed the wonderful feeling of having a non-judgmental place to post. Honestly, I live computers, but seldom have been involved in a forum. That's going to change I hope!

Thanks for the words of encouragement, and answers. I guess I was a bit scared when i hit some posts with people complaining about Xanax. I pray that the small dose for along time I've been on doesn't trip this up. I'd be glad to change up to something else if that's the best course.

Some people are amazing who post, with such radical stories - it's almost hard to believe. I am scared of getting that far into the dependency/addiction but I can see how nothing is too far. I used to think that was crazy, but after being held hostage to this junk (opiates) I no longer doubt it. I believe the SubOxDoc's take that this is like (or is) a disease.

I have until 2:30pm tomorrow until my visit - last dose 2pm. Hopefully I'll get some sleep tonight - as every time I have "just stopped" I have survived the aches, pains, bowel, but it's the insomnia that is hard for me. Toss and turn and wonder if I'll ever sleep. Eventually that hollow feeling (I guess others understand) hits, and it's one lie after another and slowly back up the ladder of failure. I need the support/counseling and the ability to taper off without the immediate physical effects calling for attention. Does any of this make sense to anyone?

Thanks for sharing your experience with subox. it is my prayer that it's the same way for me as it was for you. I would love to feel "normal" without wondering what's up the next 4 hours, and being a slave to a pill. I am a slave to the pills. I hate them, but can't live without them sometimes. Ever feel that way? I was always freaked about too much acetaminophen and my liver, so maybe that slowed me down a bit. who knows. I just know I am weary. tired of the lies, tired of the deception, sneaking, pretending, and if I'm ready to admit I'm too weak on my own - I'm willing.

Does anyone know if there are online meetings?

Thanks setmefree and others. Hopefully I'll be able to post tomorrow with the good news after the visit.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:11 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Thanks Setmefree!

I am amazed the wonderful feeling of having a non-judgmental place to post. Honestly, I live computers, but seldom have been involved in a forum. That's going to change I hope!

Thanks for the words of encouragement, and answers. I guess I was a bit scared when i hit some posts with people complaining about Xanax. I pray that the small dose for along time I've been on doesn't trip this up. I'd be glad to change up to something else if that's the best course.

Some people are amazing who post, with such radical stories - it's almost hard to believe. I am scared of getting that far into the dependency/addiction but I can see how nothing is too far. I used to think that was crazy, but after being held hostage to this junk (opiates) I no longer doubt it. I believe the SubOxDoc's take that this is like (or is) a disease.

I have until 2:30pm tomorrow until my visit - last dose 2pm. Hopefully I'll get some sleep tonight - as every time I have "just stopped" I have survived the aches, pains, bowel, but it's the insomnia that is hard for me. Toss and turn and wonder if I'll ever sleep. Eventually that hollow feeling (I guess others understand) hits, and it's one lie after another and slowly back up the ladder of failure. I need the support/counseling and the ability to taper off without the immediate physical effects calling for attention. Does any of this make sense to anyone?

Thanks for sharing your experience with subox. it is my prayer that it's the same way for me as it was for you. I would love to feel "normal" without wondering what's up the next 4 hours, and being a slave to a pill. I am a slave to the pills. I hate them, but can't live without them sometimes. Ever feel that way? I was always freaked about too much acetaminophen and my liver, so maybe that slowed me down a bit. who knows. I just know I am weary. tired of the lies, tired of the deception, sneaking, pretending, and if I'm ready to admit I'm too weak on my own - I'm willing.

Does anyone know if there are online meetings? I'm a newbie to all of this, so thanks for the patience :)

Thanks setmefree and others. Hopefully I'll be able to post tomorrow with the good news after the visit.