It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:36 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello.. I have been reading this forum for a bit before I joined.. I'll give my story in a brief nutshell if possible.. I have been on suboxone for nearly five years after a two year opiate addiction.. I have been asking my sub doc to start tapering me off for about two and a half years now and he always has an excuse as to why he shouldn't.. he will say things like "you are too stressed" "you have too much going on right now" but that is life., we have to deal with the punches right?? Anyway, my starting dose was 8mg strips.. that was always too much for me.. what my doc doesn't know is that I was not taking nearly what I was prescribed and have stockpiled enough to do a slow taper that can last years if I wanted.. I don't want.. I hate the stuff with all of my being and feel I am ready to be off.. the problem is that I've been reading horror stories.. I currently take one little piece of an 8mg every day or every other day and even that little bit makes me an anxious nervous wreck.. not to change subjects but I feel like I have some control over opiates as I was the main caregiver to my father for the past two years who had als (he passed Christmas Eve day) and my family and the hospice nurses completely trusted me and I trusted myself administering his morphine every four hours for months.. I was never once tempted to go off of my subs and take any of his meds.. I truly feel I have conquered my old addiction.. the problem now is that I want off of suboxone.. I am doing my own taper like I said I am down to a minuscule amount because honestly the taste of the stuff makes me want to puke.. I feel like I am flying blind though.. I am afraid once I stop my little bit I take that I will have this horrible withdrawal situation that I just can't afford right now.. any suggestions on how long and how much I should use to taper off?? I've decided not to see my sub doc anymore.. like I said I have enough of a stockpile to taper for a long long time and he is no help.. sorry so long.. any info you can give would be great.. currently I take about an eighth of a strip per day or every other day of an 8mg film.. thanks so much for bearing with me

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:47 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hey Kimberlina! I'm glad you joined the forum! There are so many knowledgeable people here and lots of support! It definitely helped me a lot during and after my taper, any questions or concerns I had someone has always been there to support me along the way! I would suggest reading as much as you can, as you'll find out many people have come off of suboxone with little to no withdraw. If I read your post correct it sounds like you are taking 1mg every day and sometimes every other day. I tapered down to .25 mg when I jumped and had virtually no withdraw symptoms other than 3 or 4 nights of little sleep. The key is to take your time and get stable on each dose as you taper. Maybe take .75 of a mg for a few weeks and see how you do, then drop to .5 of a mg when you feel you're ready, the lower you can taper the better. Just don't rush it and you'll be off before you know it! It sounds like you have Plenty stockpiled to do a taper, so once your off, hang on to them for a while just in case cravings start to get the best of you. I would much rather someone go back on suboxone instead of their doc. I've been off a little over seven months and haven't had any cravings at all, I went through a little depression and anxiety a few months after I stopped around the time my dad passed away, (hardest thing I've ever been through in my life) but I pushed through and the anxiety and depression slowly subsided. I hope this helps and we're all here to support you along the way!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:21 am 

Hi Kimberlina19,

First off, Welcome to our forum! 2nd, I deleted a duplicate of this thread you had posted in Introductions and then moved the same one here you posted in the Induction section. There is no reason to have two of the same thing. Either section will work just fine concerning your questions.

Why do you hate Suboxone so much? I too have been on it for over 5 years and my tolerance to it stays the same. I am grateful it was available to help me get out from under the power of my addiction to pain pills and other mind altering substances.

You say you are ready and there is no reason to doubt that. Using the theory of having access to Morphine doesn't really count because the Suboxone stops the cravings and therefore you shouldn't have felt any desire to use it. In my house there is an ongoing script for Norco 10's, my drug of choice. Do I ever feel like taking some? No, not ever, because of the Suboxone. My fear of stopping my dose is whether or not I can stay away from the pills when I no longer have the support of Suboxone.

And where did you read all the horror stories about getting off Suboxone? If it was here, then the members stopped at a fairly high dose and didn't taper down low enough to make it easier. There are many stories in the Stopping Suboxone section where members had a relatively easy time getting off it. You also said you don't want to see your doctor anymore. Understandable but maybe not the best course of action. IMO, you should ask for the 2 mg films instead of the 8's. They are easier to taper down from and the taste is minimal. Yes, you have a large stock of them but deal with that later. Think about seeing your doctor just one more time and get the lower dose ones to taper. It will be easier.

The important thing here is to read as many posts as you possibly can before you start the taper. Can a person taper down from the 8 mg's ones? Absolutely. It is just a little harder to cut them down to smaller sizes but it can and has been done.

Please keep posting and we'll support your decision all the way. Just give yourself permission to go back on them if you get tempted to take your old favorite drug.

rule

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:40 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Very good post Leavens! I agree w it all. I still have my bup stockpile after my stopping. For sure keep some around. I'm sorry you lost your dad.

Kimberlina, I'm sorry you lost your dad and to ALS, so very very difficult. You gave your dad the most amazing gift of your daily loving and caring for him these last 2 yrs.

What mg/day or every other day are you taking? I agree w Leavens - it sounds like 1 mg, 1/8 of a strip? If so, follow Leavens suggestions to decrease. Any recovery type work done while on bup? Are you doing this alone? any support systems to uplift you? I'm thinking of all the care giving time these last 2 yrs and now there's maybe a lot of open time?

Leavens post reminds me that he helped us by continuing to comment, ask questions and respond to our questions on his main thread which generated our ongoing help and responses in return. I encourage you to to the same on yours! Keep posting! More help will come. Lots of support here. Wishing you my best, Pelican

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:43 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I was posting at the same time as Rule. Good post!! P

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:16 am 

Hello Kim welcome.

I don't think so negative of ur doctor honestly, he seems to be pretty caring..... maybe not listening but caring nonetheless imo. There's some ppl who have doctors push them off to soon, so ur situation isn't sounding so bad plus u have had a chance to stockpile... these are all positives to me.

I to think the reason u were able to be around opiates is because of buprenorphine, that's how this medicine works, so please try to keep that in mind. I guess it just bothers me when someone may not see what suboxone has done for them, u were able to stay off opiates for four yrs and help take care of ur father, those are amazing things that u couldn't have done while using opiates.

Some ppl aren't ever ready to taper off suboxone, I'm not sure I ever will be willingly. Some ppl are ready and it sounds like u are and that's great, we'll support u any way we can. I'm not very familiar with tapering so hopefully the others can help u out with that. I do know to go slow and steady, there's a lot of ppl that report very little withdrawal symptoms doing that way. And whatever u do, don't read any horror stories!!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:34 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Welcome Kim

Good luck with the taper, and read up diary of a quitter if you haven't yet. I am tapering now, and finding my own way through the liquid taper using an 8mg tablet. Be thankful you have a stockpile, wish I did. From my experience so far, slow and steady with the taper is key. And you have the means to do so. I love that your biggest complaint is the taste! That made me smile. Good luck!

I agree that perhaps a small dose strip would help. Easier to cut into small pieces. If memory serves, there are actual size pics available online you can print out, and then use as a guide to cut down to .13 mg or something tiny like that. If you want me to look for a link, let me know. I'm surfing here every day because it really seems to help.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:36 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hey everyone.. thank you so so much for the support.. I guess I was so afraid because I was reading many different websites and hearing different things.. it's hard to find good and trusted info on the net.. this is the first forum I joined.. I didn't mean to sound ungrateful for suboxone.. it did save my life.. I am one of those sad stories who lost everything due to my opiate use.. but that was five years ago.. I wouldn't have been able to get my life back if it wasn't for subs.. what I hate about it so much now is the taste.. which never bothered me the first few years and it makes me very very nauseous and even throw up sometimes.. also I don't like the way it makes me feel anymore.. even a little bit makes me a hyper maniac.. the energy boost is nice and it does help with pain but it seems to throw me into some kind of mania.. I don't know if it's because I have other mental issues going on with the recent death of my father or what.. as of today, the last little bit of sub I had was on wed morning.. right now it's Friday afternoon and I don't feel bad at all.. maybe mildly ill but manageable.. I've been doing some light yoga and that seems to be helping as well.. also I am sorry I posted twice I just wasn't sure where to post.. I'm def not a techie lol.. again thanks for all of the support and I'll keep you posted

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:14 pm 

Hey Kim I'm so glad u explained all that! Thank u. Sometimes we have ppl being negative about buprenorphine and we just have to make sure that doesn't happen. No worries :)

I was also an addict that lost everything..... custody, home, cars....everything. And guess what, that was 5 yrs ago for me too! Crazy isn't it? So happy that we both used our time to better ourselves.

The taste never has bothered me, but I understand how it would for some. U seem like ur ready to start the next journey of ur life without suboxone and we will absolutely support u in any way we can :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:40 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

i agree, the taste is awful!!!!!!!!!

just be careful in the future. i quit heroin and cigarettes cold turkey and had 5 years of sobriety under my belt. all the while handing out a relatives oxys. i relapsed after 5 years sober! and went on a 3 year binge where i almost lost everything again. been on subs a little over 4 months. started out a 2 strips and i'm also tapering myself down. i take 1/4 of a strip every 12 hours.