It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Introducing myself
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:04 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello, my name is Ben, I am a young 58 year old opiate addict. I have tried and taken about everything in my like so far but opiates are what I really ended up liking and totally addicted to. I have been on Suboxone for around 4 years and it has saved my life. I am retired or I should clarify "laid off" I have convinced my Dr that I can not afford the Suboxone anymore, I don't have insurance and it makes my extremity's swell, the Dr is going to allow me to get generic subutex. What I need to know is are there any difference in the brands? I have a choice between Roxain or Hi-Tech and maybe Teva. Are there any difference? which one should I go for? Thanks for any help. Ben.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:20 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Blackstrat,

Welcome to the forum!!

I took the Roxane subutex before and found them to be quite strong. My pharmacy accidentally filled my Suboxone script with Subutex, it was the Roxane brand.

Post subject: Generic Sub
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:41 pm 

Welcome to our forum Ben! This is a great place to find information on just about everything concerning Suboxone, Subutex, and Methadone. Although the last one we only have a few people who are knowledgeable about it.

Generic Sub would be the Subutex like Romeo said. It doesn't contain the Naloxone like Suboxone does so Dr's are leery of writing scripts for it thinking we might relapse or abuse it. It can't hurt to ask your doctor for it. Also ask him about an opening for the assistance program. Doctors are allowed three patients who get the med for free or at a discount. I really don't know much about it except what I just wrote.

I like your "young 58". I too am the same age and retired also. Luckily for me I have insurance to help me with my meds. It must be very hard w/o insurance to get basic medical care. The new Affordable Care Act should help but I don't know when it'll take effect for everyone.

Good luck being able to pay for your meds,

Rule

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:53 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

HI BEN :lol:

So, my doctor gave me the generic, in the start, when I was paying cash also. then I got on the patient assistance program thru the manufacturer, so I was "all good" for a year, that just expired, so me and the DR are 'revisiting' the thought of the generic............

now for ME, a year ago, ten suboxone films were about $88 at rite aid.
Ten GENERIC subutex, were $57

So, there's definitely a difference, but dont expect a huge one. LOL

I only had one brand "availible" and it was the "teva" and it tasted absolutely HORRID.
It was chaulky, took forever to dissolve, and tasted to me like baking soda and calamine lotion.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Im def gonna have to think about it, agian, though. I remember pricing "name brand" subutex then, and it was ACTUALLY MORE than the suboxone films!!!!
I could not believe it.........

If I were you, I'd probably try all three....... You should be able to buy 5, 10, whatever at a time. I'd buy a weeks worth and give it a shot, see if you can tell a difference in taste, how they dissolve, whatever.
oh, and there may be a LITTLE price difference, as well.

good luck to you,
and that's great that your doctor would even consider giving you the generic, that seems to be a battle, all it's own. :wink: :wink: :wink:

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:25 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for the quick reply's, I think I will try the Hi-Tech pills, they are very small and I am assuming they have less filler. The Buprenorphine works wonders for me, I think I use it more for a antidepressant than anything, it makes me feel what I think of as normal, I enjoy doing normal things like cutting the grass, spending time with my wife and kids. I like many of us seem to be missing some ingredients in my chemical makeup, for example, on a rollercoaster when it takes the first big plunge, I just don't feel the big rush normal people feel, I am missing some endorphin's or something. The Bupenorphine seems to give it back to me so I can function, without it I just want to stay in bed, I have no desire to do anything. But in all fairness it wasn't always like that. I remember having fun when I was a kid, once I hit 13 or 14 things changed, maybe puberty screwwed me all up (: Anyway I like my Bupe, I can function again. Thanks for listening to me babble on. Ben.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:19 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

you should post a thread somewhere , about the different generic brands,

as far as I know, we dont have any, that way if someone else came along in your shoes, like today,
they might be able to find some answers..........

just an idea :idea:

I hope it works just as well for you. I don't remember too much of a difference when I went to generic. It didnt seem to last as long for ME, but I could be wrong, cuz it was fairly early in my treatment.... I was still 'sweating out' methadone. At least that's what it felt like!!!!!

good luck
let us know how it works out

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:52 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I started the generics today, the pills are from Hi-Tech, very small white pills. They dissolve quickly and are very bitter as I knew they would be. They seem to work faster than the suboxone did, so far I am very happy with them. Only problem is My addictive personality immediately started thinking boy! these would be great for snorting, small with very little filler. I hope I can keep from going down that road. All in all I like them better than the subs by far.

Post subject: Welcome
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:50 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Welcome to the forum Ben! This is a great place to learn, vent, and feel like a big family. As of now there aren't many options on generics and with RB (people who make suboxone) wanting to control the majority, and this makes our options are limited. Wish we had more options but for now we will just have to go broke buying it if you don't have insurance or without. I wish you luck, and again welcome to the forum!