It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:45 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

[font=Verdana]
Hello, everyone. (I will try to make this as brief and easy-to-read as possible.)
First of all, I am female, and in my early 40s. I have been in Suboxone treatment
since early Spring of 2005. I had first began "experimenting" with Darvocets, other
pills, alcohol, and pot around age 16. Then, @age19, I started working in the adult
entertainment field, where alcohol and drugs were readily available. I used all sorts
of substances for many years- mostly to numb the emotional/mental anguish that
I had experienced during that time, mostly because I did not really enjoy what
I was doing. (It didn't take too long until most all of the money I was making was
feeding my habit/s.)

As well, it had taken me quite a long time to get out of that particular business,
mostly because, @that time, the money was pretty good; and I had felt, @that time,
that I didn't really have any other alternative. Well, I did finally get out of that business
in my mid-30s. However, my addiction, of course, had still remained with me.

Anyway, I also had a hysterectomy in my early 30s, and got hooked on the oxy's that
were prescribed afterwards. (My OB/GYN even kicked me out of his practice, because
I had kept asking him for more- @that time, I am fairly certain that I had gotten labelled
as a "drug seeker".) After that, I found a different doctor who had prescribed me oxycodone,
methadone, and fentanyl patches for what I had told him was chronic pelvic pain.
Well, that ended after 6 months. After that, I sought out other ways to feed my addiction-
from wherever I could find opiates. This had continued for several years.

Then, I finally had gotten approved for SSI in my mid-30s for several health conditions
that I have, and that had assisted me in getting out of the adult entertainment business as well.
My addiction had continued. I had gotten 2 DUIs within 7 years, and had to serve 30 days in jail.
(I can't remember exactly when this happened, but I do know that it was after I was on SSI.)

Fast-forward to February early Feb. 2005, and I went to a methadone clinic. However, this clinic was
not taking my insurance @that time, and was very expensive. As well, it was located about 20 miles or so
away from my home, and I did not have a license or a car. I was volunteering @a local library @that time,
and the doctor that works @the local drug and alcohol re-hab center walked in one day (he had known me
from when I went there before), and he told me about Suboxone. So, I enrolled with his office that very next
week; and since then, I have been on Suboxone.

I had started @ 8 mgs. a day; but now I am on 2 mgs. a day. I go to counseling 2x a month (once every 2
weeks); and I also attend AA/NA meetings at least 2-3 times per week. The counseling and meetings DO
help me a lot. (However, what works for me, may not work for everyone.)

That is my story, "in a nutshell."
Thanks for letting me share.

-exorphin-
[/font]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:36 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks for sharing your story with us, exorphin. I remember when I first joined this forum that it actually took me a few months before I was even ready to share my story. I guess it was just hard for me to share it. Afterward, I felt much better having opened up about it. I had actually feared being judged, as my story was quite different from others, but of course the people here didn't do that at all and have supported me ever since. Now how the hell did I digress like that?

Anyway, I'm so happy for you that you sub treatment has been beneficial for you. It sounds like things were so out of control before you started it. And just like so many of us, suboxone gave us remission and the time we need to get out lives/shit together.

Keep up the good work. I'm glad you joined the forum, you've quickly become a valued member here! Hope you stick around. :)

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:03 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi exorphin,

Thank you for sharing your story! I have to say, as I read through your story there seemed to be a lot of paralells in your drug use and mine. I started smoking pot around age 17. Weed, hash and LSD were mostly what I used then. Age 25 I graduated on up to cocaine/crack.....tried crystal meth a few times but hated it, thank God!! Age 29 I got hooked on opiates after me and an oak tree got in a fight.....the oak tree won!! Age 39 I started suboxone, took it for almost 3 years then quit a little over a year ago. BTW, I'm male and if you've been doing the math, I'm 43.

I too turned to the streets to feed my opiate addiction. I was buying from several different dealers, I was always trying to increase my stock of pills, but the more I increased my "stock" of pills, the more I used. It got to the point where I could snort an OC 80 and barely get a rise out of it, I knew I was in serious trouble then. Amazingly, it wasn't long after me realizing how much trouble I was in that I first heard about Suboxone. Suboxone was a Godsend for me. It gave me time to put active addiction behind me, it gave me time to work with an addiction counselor, it gave me time to normalize my life.

I just started attending NA here about 3 months ago, I'm really enjoying it. I find it helps me a lot too......as long as I remember to take what works for me and leave the rest there.

Again, thanks for sharing your story. I hope you decide to stick around, I'm gonna guess you have a wealth of experiences you could share that would help others.