It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:44 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey. I'm new here and just wanted to share what I'm going through. I started Suboxone treatment a year ago for opiate addiction. Before that, I battled opiates for over 10 years. In and out of rehabs, joining the military, and even having 3 years sober (best time of my life). During that sober period I went to meetings, became a fire fighter, I fell in love, got married, and had a beautiful baby boy and decided to stay home with him. After the c-section I immediately got addictted to the pain pills. That went on for over a year. I started suboxone because I felt I couldn't care for my son going through opiate withdrawal. I thought Suboxone was amazing. I felt great and didn't have cravings for anything else. I started at 8mg films 3 times a day. I tapered down to 16mgs a day and stopped cold turkey 9 days ago. The withdrawals got really bad on day 3. I've been doing alot of praying and trying to work on my relationship with my higher power. It helps so much. Of course I've been going through all of the normal symptoms: Sweats, Chills, leg pain, sleeplessness, tiredness, no appetite, and now diarrhea. I've been taking tylenol and a multi vitamin everyday. My husband also has been giving me 1 tramadol a day since day 6. The tramadol has helped a lot. I also started taking imodium a couple days ago. All in all, I think I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. My biggest challenge is taking care of my HIGH ENERGY 2 year old son, 2 dogs, 2 cats, and 12 chickens. They all keep me active even if all I want to do is lay on the couch and die. The depression and hoplessness gets to me at times. I try to pray it away and tell myself its only temporary. I stopped Suboxone because I was so sick of being tired and I just didn'nt feel sober on it. I want what I had before in sobriety. I want GOD back in my life and I want to help other addicts again. I'm planning on going to a meeting as soon as my husband has an early night from work. I've been listening to speaker meetings online which helps sometimes, but I am excited & scared to go to a meeting. I need to get through this.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:01 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Andrea,

Welcome to forum!!

Wow, 16mg is a big dose to jump from, but I have seen others do it. In fact, this one person I'm thinking of jumped from around 16mg the same day I quit Suboxone. Her and I both jumped from high doses and we made it. Was it tough....yep!! But we made it!!

You do know that Tramadol is basically an opiate, right? To the best of my knowledge, after the first pass through the liver it metabolizes into an opiate, that's why it's making you feel better. Just be careful with the Tramadol.

Believe it or not, having to take care of your 2 year old and the dogs and cats and chickens (are you married to Old McDonald? lol) is helping you. The worst thing you can do is lay on the couch because all that lets you do is concentrate on how shitty you feel. Staying active (mind and body) is the best thing for you.

Hang in there. You will get better, it just takes some time.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:20 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Wow, cold turkey from 16mg. That's impressive. As Romeo mentioned, tramadol is an opioid, so this is why it makes you feel better. Imodium (loperamide) is also actually an opioid, but as long as you are just taking them as directed and not overdoing it, it shouldn't extend the withdrawal period or anything. Some people take dozens of loperamide pills at a time for withdrawals believe it or not.

Great job so far Andrea! Keep it up and welcome to the forums.

Methadone Clinic Directory (U.S. and Canada)

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:13 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for the replies. Today is day 10. I went to an AA meeting last night and went in with this huge ego. My head tells me I don't need these people and I know more than they do. But I know my heads lies to me most the time. I did the whole thing, shared a bit, and even got a desire chip (which shot down my ego). I felt great when I left.
As far as the tramadol, I know it is an opioid. I was really scared to take it, but soon realized that I didn't feel high and was able to get off the couch without being extremely pissed. I think today may be my last day taking it. As far as the imodium, I guess I will stop that when I don't have diarrhea anymore? lol. ugh.
Romeo, you are right about my son and the animals being the best thing for withdrawal. It gives my life purpose when feeling the bouts of depression. But at the same time overwhelms me when I just want to relax. I love my son so much, just want to be a better Mommy to him.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:53 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Andrea said, "But I know my heads lies to me most the time." Being aware of that is a massive step, congratulations!!! Now you have to humble yourself and ask or allow others to help you and keep doing it.

Recovery is a process. As addicts, we usually don't do good with processes. We want our recovery now, damn it!! lol

Try to be patient with yourself.

As for the bouts of depression, have you tried exercising yet? I know you're pretty early in wd, but if you can get some exercise in, you may be surprised at how much it helps. Maybe put your favorite music on, too. Music seems to have helped many of us ease our wd.