It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:15 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Before I get started on my Discussion, My name is Bobby I am an opiate user of 7 years. I am currently thinking about going to a sub clinic i spoke with them about the pricing and all they told me if i needed an apointment dont hesitate to call them. But when i told my brother i was thinking about going he keeps telling me that I have to have an opiate in my system before they will treat me. and if i dont they will refuse treatment to me. I want to kick this habit. not wait up until my last day before sub clinic. I am actually being pretty much locked down by my girlfriend so i dont do anything(we live together) she is the one who wants me to go. I cant do anything under her supervision. so when i go to my sub clinic i will more than likely be a solid week off of opiates. anyone know if the sub doctors require this? I think they just do the drug tests to make sure how much opiate is in your system so they dont mix them together. im not sure. thanks for any advice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:44 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I have not heard of anyone being denied Sub because they didn't have opiates in their system at the time of induction. I think Matt (one of the other moderators here) was off opiates for a while before he got on Suboxone.

I'm pretty sure the drug test is to see if you're on benzos or anything else. You're supposed to be in at least mild to moderate withdrawal when you take your first dose of Suboxone anyway. Some doctors have patients wait 48 hours. So I don't think you being off of your DOC for a week will be a big deal.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:26 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Welcome to the site Bobby.
I am sure every clinic is different. I would just explain that you are not handling things well and you have fought to not relapse but you feel like you are going to use. If you have an issue with the doctor, try another.Please keep us posted on your progress, and good luck!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:54 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

The purpose of some clinics requiring this is to prevent anyone from walking in off the street, saying they have a huge problem, and then diverting their large script to the street (suboxone is worth a lot on the street). Some clinics won't require it, but if you are a solid long time user, you should test positive for at least 3 days (if not more) after your last use. Remember, they probably didn't say "Come in high", they said it needs to be [detectible] in your system.

I would do it, for me it has been worth it so far (7 months)

Good luck

Rationale

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:25 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for all of the support and advice, I have not yet been to see a doctor but they have my name on the list. their is a 3 page waiting list they say and the other one i called is just too expensive.. i am almost afraid to ask them if i have to have something in my system when i go in because they could soon make a mark by my name and when time comes to give me that call. pass me up. had people tell me that happened before. I dunno. maybe i am just wasting my time with this sub thing. because obviously its more strict because people are abusing it. and also, people being on sub for years? isnt that just another adiction, or a "crutch" some might add? also heard that the sub withdrawal is far worse than any oc could give you. but just doesnt last as long. this sucks. it has been 7 days since i have used... still nothing gives. every other day i break out in cold sweats. i have to turn the air off at all times during the day and find my body temeprature fluctuationg if the air is on im freezing cold chills and sweating, if its off im burning up.. its so annoying. i feel like i would rather be in hell than living on this earth with all of these feelings. not saying in any way i would kill myself. what are some remedies to get over this. a good bottle of bourbon is a numbness i am really starting to crave. but its back in the morning. sorry for babbling, it helps. it really does..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:26 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

There's one thing that bothers me about your story! You said your doing this for your girl friend that should never be the reason it should be all about you and no one else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:59 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

RonnieSr79 wrote:
There's one thing that bothers me about your story! You said your doing this for your girl friend that should never be the reason it should be all about you and no one else.

You are absolutely right, In the past she has done this and it didnt work only this time i have pretty much broken down and realized how my life is. without her i dont think I would have realized how out of control my life was spinning. im kind of content with the idea of stopping. I want to, Most addicts dont want to and are forced into rehab and a treatment program. then thats where relapse is higher in the end. and to be honest.. i have alot of past history with drugs.. and you might ask me why i still do them after this.. my father died from a drug related illness, cocaine caused him to have a massive heart attack. my Best friend died from an overdose of methadone and xanax. and another friend was shot and killed by his mother over drugs.. and i was blinded by the fact that i was so depressed from losing them. I just wanted to use. have had to sit and nod my friend in and out because he had taken oxys and xanax's Ive been there and had the consequences thrown before me, but i never thought to stop. it took some tough love to knock me up side the head and make me realize that i was going nowhere but down and if I didnt stop.. I was going to end up like them. It really helps to write this on here and have someone who is going through the same thing or has went through the same thing to talk to. I hope that some way my story can help someone who might have went through the same thing i did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:21 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

bjp606-

In addiction, we often lose people we care for very much, and it isn't as if we are dumb to the facts of why it happened.It is common to have a "can't beat them, then join them" mentality, but I am glad you have started to realize there is more to life than what being high can offer. Your story needs to help YOU my friend. Until you have started the path to recovery, nothing should be in your mind except getting clean. It is a long hard road, and it requires a great deal of determination, but it can be done.How bad do you want it? That is what you have to ask yourself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:40 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I spoke to the clinic this morning and made myself an appointment, the appointment is at 10:30 this saturday. sure ran up my credit card. 100 for first two weeks then 150 for next 2 then 250 every month. not including the prescription costs. I plainly told them my situation ahead of time that i will NOT be coming in with narcotics in my system. they pretty much said as long as I dont have any barbituates, or things such as xananx in my system it doesnt matter. they wont decline treatment to anyone who comes in showing symptoms of withdrawal. they actually said they prefer you to come in with nothing in your system that way i can be treated properly with no worries. it was actually a sighing relief. that was my worries throughout the whole process. the way i see it in reality is that i spent 500+ in a whole week most the time on oc's. im saving money going to this clinic. still expensive but you cant put a price on your own life. I will keep you all posted on my first visit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:11 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

My own exp I took 2-20 mg of oxycontin at 9 am the day I went to the sub doctor at 3 pm. By time I filled my script it was 430 pm and it worked just fine never looked back since . You will feel so much better on the sub . Hope everything works out for you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:36 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

well, I went to my doc on sat. havent been near the pc to post how it went. it was very smooth. the doctor explained to me my treatment options. i told him my story and we pretty much got to know each other and became actually friends he liked to call it. was a very good experience. its good to know that I have his cell number at anytime after hours if i have any questions. He suggested that I see a therapist for any anxiety issues if i have any. just gave me a card and its free as long as you are enrolled into the doctors sub clinic. but only if i need to go he says. This place was amazing, they treated me like I was a human being and not an addict. we pretty much talked he gave me my first dose came back in about and gave me my script. When i went to get the script i couldnt believe the price of these things. man i am completely broke now. do they not have a generic for these? it would be so helpful if they did. and does anyone know an insurance that would pay for the prescriptions? or atleast help? im not sure how long i can afford this clinic with the price of these things. im ok for the first few montsh but after that im probably going to be digging change. and if i cant afford the clinic im affriad i will go back to using again. not an issue now just a look in the future. only worries i have is not being able to pay the monthly fee and then not being able to get the script. I got my job back after i had explained to my boss what was going on. he was very proud of me. so, hopefully it helps im just going to have to save every penny i get. i dont make much but it will help. im so glad i went to this clinic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:49 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Bobby,
Congratulations on starting the road to recovery! How is it going so far?

You asked about insurance and mentioned getting your job back....It sounds like you are uninsured at the moment? My insurance (BCBS, thru my husband's job) covers my Suboxone with a $20 co-pay. Maybe with your job you'll get your insurance back? Regardless....Hopefully you'll start seeing (if you haven't already) a change in yourself, as will your girlfriend. I know my husband is THRILLED that Subox was introduced into my life.

I hope you are doing well. Keep us posted.

Melissa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:56 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for the concerns, I am doing great since I started my recovery.. i have been working so much to pay this prescription i havent had a chance to log on and post on here. UNfortinately the insurance at my job doesnt pay for detox treatment. however, my boss. offered to help with the prescriptions. I told him that wasnt necessary but was necessary to give me as many hours as he could. lol. the price for these things are super ridiculous. while waiting on my visit some of the people going to the clinic told me they sell some of theirs to pay for them. I would in no means resort to that. but my god, they shot out some prices for these things on the street and in all honesty buying them at the pharmacy is only a percentage of what they cost on the street. anyways.. things are going good for once in my life. I feel like I have respect back from my family and I just feel like a better person all around. I can do more, I am always active wanting to get out and do something. before my detox if i didnt have a pill and a pill waiting i couldnt do that. because even if i was high . i was planning my next high. which led to never having a good time and always up to no good. anyways I really appreciate all of your support those looong nights i had really helped me alot being on here having someone responding to this thread. thanks to everyone!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:34 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Not sure if you've seen any of the exciting posts about generic Subutex but it's out now! You might think about talking to your doctor about switching to generic Subutex as at least from what I've heard it's only about $2 per pill in Ohio. There is currently no generic Suboxone (bupe/naloxone) but I'd think if your doctor realized how difficult it is to pay for several hundred dollar prescriptions he would be ok with switching you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:36 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

keep it up bjp, it's all worth it in the long term. i really am lucky that my drug plan covers every cent of the suboxone, i dont even have to pay the dispensing fee which is helping my bank account quite a bit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:36 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am no longer taking suboxone, It started getting horrible and I was starting to crave them when I was out for a day or two of not having them though the first 24 hours off them wasnt bad then when i get to my doctor i feel like a feign just waiting for my fix. Dont get me wrong suboxone has changed my life. i no longer crave o.c's I wouldnt touch them. but, I am going through a hard time coming off of suboxone right now. I dont have any energy, I am very depressed. Life or things i normally am into arent interesting. I pace the floors, I just want to lay around, its not as bad as withdrawal from o.c. but i have read that subx withdrawal can last a pretty long time. i am on my fifth day of this and really not any better. maybe a little but cant hardly tell. i am taking b-12 vitamins and they seem to help me with energy for a while, coffee helps but in the end im drained. I dunno what to do! read subx withdrawal can last up to a month. anyone know any good home remedies to beat this hell I feel I am in? thanks tons if you do

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:46 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hey bjp -

dunno if you are checking regularly feeling like you do. Sorry to hear it's rough. Not to press, just curious if you tapered down like others here before stopping? I think Diary of a Quitter found a great way to taper - where it wasn't get down to just 2 mg's and jump, literally - tapered down to a water solution, and used every other day method as well.

I hope your doctor is on board with your stopping. There are some Rx's that can help I have heard.

As for home remedies, I have tried the famous 'thomas recipe' for cold turkey opiate withdrawal. If you have just stopped suboxone you probably are feeling similar wd's. Anyway - from an energy standpoint, this really worked for me:

"Upon rising (empty stomach), take the L-Tyrosine. Try 2000 mgs, and scale up or down, depending on how you feel. You can take up to 4,000 mgs. Take the L-Tyrosine with B6 to help absorption. Wait about one hour before eating breakfast. The L-Tyrosine will give you a surge of physical and mental energy that will help counteract the malaise. You may continue to take it each morning for as long as it helps. If you find it gives you the "coffee jitters," consider lowering the dosage or discontinuing it altogether. Occasionally, L-Tyrosine can cause the runs. Unlike the runs from opiate WD, however, this effect of L-Tyrosine is mild and normally does not return after the first hour. Lowering the dosage may help."

When I tried to go cold turkey from full agonist opiates - oxycodone - I followed the thomas recipe, and I lived through the horrible leg pain, runs, exhaustion, insomnia, etc. The joint pain was the worst for me, as was not sleeping.

From what you have said, though, the home remedy L-Tyrosine in the morning with B6 may give you a boost of energy. I have a sensitive system to metabolism stuff (like, I can't take pseudophed for a cold - it makes me jittery and raises my blood pressure). If you are not that way, this relatively inexpensive amino acid may help.

I know it helped my energy at the time, but I hadn't dealt with all the triggers or had a plan - so I relapsed. I'm sure you will do great! Keep us posted!

Post subject: A few things to note
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:04 pm 
hey man,
Listen, I think it's great you are trying to change your life and it makes me really angry your doctor is trying to make a mint off you, charging you all that money for unneccesarily frequent appoinments. For example, my doc charged me $100 for the initial appt. and then I only go back every 3 months. So you should shop around for a better doc if you can.

Number two, the company that makes Suboxone, Reckitt-Benckiser, has a patient assistance program that will pay for your entire prescription if you meet certain income requirements. You can contact the company directly, but they will have to work with your doctor and ultimately he sends the script to them and they send the Suboxone to his office for you to pick up each month. This is done with many meds in many dotor's offices all the time, so if your doc plays dumb don't believe it for a second. I'm SURE he already has been provided the paperwork for the assistance program by the manufacturer. To contact the patient assistence program yourself, call 1-800-4-PPANOW which is the number for the Partnership for Prescription Assistance. (If that number is outdated, look it up on the web. But I think it's still good) They will ask you what prescriptions you take and then match you with patient assistance programs. Totally free and legit. I'm sure they will have Reckitt-Benckiser's program. Then they will send the applications to your home address. You just take the application to your next doctor's appointment and fill it out together. The doctor takes it from that point. I think it is actually illegal for the doctor to refuse.

Also, make sure if you are struggling for money at all you apply for all forms of state assistance, especially Medicaid and State Pharmaceutial Assistance Programs. Contact your Social Services offices. It may be in your best interest to work less just to be able to get the meds. Sometimes you have to think short term just to stabilize your life. And 2010 is just starting which will have a new income proof period.

Asking your doc to prescribe generic Subutex is also a great idea. Again, shop around for other licensed Suboxone/Subutex docs maybe within 100 miles of your home. There's got to be a doctor who doesn't want to made hundreds of dollars a month off of a suffering addict. I really, really have a lot of sympathy for your situation, my brother.
Hope this helps.
James.