It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:21 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

So I am happy to find this forum and thought I'd take a minute to introduce myself. I've been on subs and clean for about 90 days. It has been quite a surreal experience and I never thought I'd find myself in this type of place in life, having to have gone through a treatment program and remain on subs without a particular end date in site. I started the program with my own plans in mind, as I have often done in life, only to find out that it wasn't going to work out that way. Meaning I wasn't going to get to run my own program, which is probably a good thing, suffice to say, when I'm in charge of my own program things usually don't go well... So I have been following the plan laid out by professionals and seem to be doing ok. It's been hard, bc I guess I wasn't prepared to deal with all the reasons I became an addict in the first place. I just figured I'd sober up, use subs to help me out and clean up my life, and live happily ever after. BUT the truth is, there are a lot of reasons why I have been an addict for so long and trying to figure all that out and deal with it all, all my thoughts and feelings, that has been the hardest part, aside from feeling alone and really misunderstood. But I am still here, still trying. I'm grateful for my program, although they also irritate me with their intrusive ways haha I guess if they weren't intrusive they wouldn't be doing their jobs though right? I spend much of my time on my 'illness' meaning my label or diagnosis, bipolar, and my other time on my disease so that I don't fall victim to myself and my old reliant Achilles heel... All the while trying to maintain a life that I can't lie- seems really overwhelming most of the time. But I try my best to stay strong and positive and most importantly grateful. And I hope to be able to gain as much as I can through this whole process. That's all I got for now.

Last edited by tinydancer on Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
color html was broken

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:47 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Welcome to the forum! You are in the right place.

I was on Subs for roughly 7 years, and thought I would never come off. I didn't ever want to come off. Eventually things changed for me. Things started to look different. I started on a very high dose. I only cut my 32mg dose to 16mg though years, about 3 years ago. Eventually, I tapered to 2mg, and then over months of time, .25mg. Today is the 5th day I have been off of Subs.

This process is not a sprint. It is def a marathon. Stay on them as long as you need to. Don't let anything get in the way of YOUR recovery. YOUR recovery is exactly that. It is yours, NOT theirs.

I can only say I am proud of you for taking the steps to recovery. I was a 20 year addict before finding a truly helpful program. The Suboxone program truly saved my life. I can't say it any other way.

Keep in mind that it is not a sprint. Do what they ask. Meetings if needed, and don't let the Suboxone "nay-sayers" get you down. It is a great, life saving program.

I wish you the absolute best in your recovery. Stick around here, and you will find NOTHING but support throughout your whole process.

Twostepj

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:54 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Just wanted to welcome you to the forum, Urgrl! Getting to know ourselves again, without major numbing, can be an intense process. You don't have to deal with everything all at once, just take it little by little. Suboxone has been a great tool for me to get my stuff together and learn to live more on life's terms, like an adult. Rather than running from all of my feelings, responsibilities, and fears, I've learned to live with them and actually deal with them. It's quite a beautiful thing. Good luck with this next chapter in your life.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:10 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Welcome to the forum, UrgrlAmbam.

I had to smile when you talked about not doing so hot when left to run things yourself. I'm guessing most of us here are the same way. Try not to be to hard on yourself, though. Just because you're not that good at it right now doesn't mean you'll always be like that, you can get better.

Coming to terms with our demons is a daunting task, but it doesn't have to be done in a day. Remember to be kind to yourself throughout this process and also remember that our character defects do NOT define who we are.

IMO, if you're getting overwhelmed most of the time by your program, you (or someone) may be pushing too hard. You didn't become an addict in a day, you're not going to get better in a day either.

Congratulations on about 90 days clean!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:10 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you all for your replies. They really mean a lot to me. I appreciate the personal perspectives of others who are going through or have gone through 'it'.
Congrats on ur first days without subs... I would like to reply individually, but I'm still learning how to navigate the site. That gives me a tremendous amount of hope. Stay strong and keep us posted. For many of us, ur going to he at the forefront of this long and very personal marathon.
And I also can't say how much I really relate and genuinely feel grateful for the comment about not letting our character defects define us... It's so hard for me to not let my own self try and do that! That was really refreshing!
I forget all the good things sometimes.
I wish u all courage and strength and perseverance.