It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:15 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

So just wanted to introduce myself and tell a bit of my story I'm currently clean for 3 years and on suboxone for all three years and now lately I find myself wondering if getting on suboxone was the right thing. I know my life is better because of it but I also know I'm more addicted to it than I was to opiates and I have been through a few days of withdraw for both pills and subs and subs was by far worse than anything I have ever been through. I just keep feeling like now I'm forever stuck on suboxone and I am so afraid to get off it. I know I could have got through pill withdraw in a week or two but I got on subs before I fully went through wds I know suboxone helped me become better in many way and I am happy to be clean and have the support from my doctor and family but I can't help but think I replaced one problem for an even worse one when it comes time to get off it. Thanks for listening
Kaylee

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:43 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Kaylee,

Welcome back. Can you update us on what happened after Dec 2016 when you kept running out of suboxone early and had a relapse in Nov and maybe Dec too? You said you weren't able to track how much you take and keep taking more than you should and feel you can't control it and need more even though you know it won't change how you feel. I ask bc that might have alot to do w how we might respond to your post today and your concerns you're addicted to bup. Wishing you my best, P

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:39 pm 

Kchism, reading through ur posts from December, it's confusing a little bit because u said bk then that u weren't taking ur medicine properly by not monitoring how much u take resulting in running out early since November. U also said u were under stress and taking more wasn't doing anything for u or getting u high but u still took extra with no one u trust to hold ur medicine for u. I totally understand all that and hopefully u got it straight or maybe ur still running short.

The comment about suboxone being worse withdrawal than opiates isn't correct. Suboxone may last longer if u don't properly taper down, but it's definitely not worse. Stopping from a higher dose won't be comfortable though, not at all I assume. But it isn't worse. How could a partial opiate withdrawal be worse than a full opiate withdrawal?

It is possible to control what u take when taking buprenorphine. If ur just all over the place, I can see how ur treatment isn't going so well and that can be extremely frustrating. If someone is unhappy on suboxone or they think this treatment isn't necessarily helping them or going well, my advice would be to taper or try another treatment. Maybe an environment that's more strict in dosing. Maybe somewhere that doses in house, like methadone.

Running out early a lot has to be horrible, I can't imagine what u went through, but there has to be a way u can change it.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:59 pm 

Kaylee, from what I've read I think you will continue having problems with any treatment until you start working on your addiction. It is not typical for people to become addicted to buprenorphine. Although everyone develops dependency on it, usually people do not become psychologically addicted. If you did, however, it's a function of your addiction, not your medication.

It's important for most addicts to receive some form of therapy from an addiction professional. Suboxone is only a tool to put the symptoms of addiction into remission while you take it. The medication does not cure addiction. It's up to you to work on yourself: figure out your triggers, try to understand why you were susceptible to addiction in the first place, work on skills to keep you away from other addicts, etc. I am thinking that if you put the work in, you will find that you can break the psychological addiction you have to suboxone. Please let us know what you think you will try and how it goes. If you need suggestions we would be happy to describe what we all did to work on recovery.

Amy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:26 am 

Hi Kaylee, Welcome back! Hope that you are doing ok this morning! Addiction is an evil beast and one that suboxone has really helped me to tame! That is the best way for me to put it. It is in the cage right now while I work on learning how it got here and what changes I can make to be sure that it does not get out and take over again! It will always be there and is something that I will always be working on! That is the best way for me to think about it! Please keep posting so we know how you are doing!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:30 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Michelle F. wrote:
Addiction is an evil beast and one that suboxone has really helped me to tame! That is the best way for me to put it. It is in the cage right now while I work on learning how it got here and what changes I can make to be sure that it does not get out and take over again! It will always be there and is something that I will always be working on!

awesome quote! this! so much!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:27 pm 

Thank you Sister! I don't know why I did not see your response until today!