It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:44 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

As I said, I've been on Suboxone since January 2010. It's been real, I can say that much! I went from a heroin junkie or whatever opiates were available to where I'm at now and I can confidently say that Suboxone played a part in saving my life and most likely the lives of my kids as well. I started off taking 16mg per day, which was barely cutting it but I really didn't want to do Methadone first so I sucked it up and got on with it! I'm now down to 1mg per day and feel like it does more for me now than the 16mg did when I started. Getting close to the dreaded and yet hopeful end and could still use some advice and experience from successful recoveries. Thanks and hello!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:03 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Congrats on doing so well on just 1mg maintenance dose. I started taking Subs around the same time possible a bit earlier in 2009. I took tapered to a farily low dose and jumped . I was in withdraws for about 2 weeks at that dose. So it is def doable and not that bad at such a low dose either.

However, I stayed off of subs for 1 year and I ended up getting back on them because I truly believe I just needed to be on a medication that treats my addiction. During that year, I just never really felt "normal" I felt depressed even after I was placed on an antidepressant. Everybody is different though..

I guess my advice to you is, If you are happy at 1mg and are doing well, I would stay RIGHT WERE YOU ARE. you have come such a long way from Heroin to Subs at 16mg to subs at 1mg. You have really jumped milestones since 2010.

If you do decide to get off subs, there are plenty of Taper methods here on this website. BUT for a moment, if you feel that you are going to USE again please....please, just get back on subs. they really are a lifesaver. And there is NO SHAME in being on a small dose of medication that will treat addiction.

Good luck to you !!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:28 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks so much for the response. I guess I just fear that life long dependency on something. I know it's nothing close to the lifestyle that heroin gives but the dependency makes me feel weak nonetheless. I do plan on staying at my 1mg for now though, hoping that one day I will finally just say "screw it" and stop the subs as well. It's so easy as a plan in my own mind! Anyway, thanks again and congrats to you too.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:49 pm 

Hi dislexia, and don't worry! There have been lots of members here that do feel like it's time to stop subs after a few years of being on. It just comes to them that they feel like they don't need it anymore and stepping off becomes easy. If you're not yet at that point yet, don't stress! It will come! I would suggest that you don't force it.

Try to remember that there are plenty of disorders and disease processes that require a daily medication to keep healthy. Suboxone puts your addiction into remission and there's nothing wrong with staying in remission! :)

Amy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:44 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks Amy...you're right and my doc tells me the same thing. I think it's more that when I first started on subs I was told it would be an 18 month program and that sticks with me all these years later. But, like you said it's maintenance for a health problem and when my body /mind is ready I suppose I will know. Thanks again, this site is going to be great support I think!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:33 pm 

Hi dislexia1214,

I too have been on Suboxone since May of '10 so you have a few months more than me. What I am hoping for is the day to come when I know it's time to stop. There are two drugs I want off of. Suboxone especially because of the monthly visits and monitoring. I feel like I'm on probation. The other one is xanax and I know I shouldn't take it but do anyway. My old addict ways are embarrassing to even talk about considering how long I've been coming here.

It's the same old addict/alcoholic procrastination. "I knew this day would come eventually, I just don't want it to be today". Same messed up brain, different day.

Keep us up to date on your progress,

rule