It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:53 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Amy - that's interesting about how you grew up, because see while I enjoy my alone time, as a human, I'll still start to crave more contact every now and again. Before we moved my SO and I lived out in a more rural area where there weren't people our age or anyone to socialize with, just a tiny little town and I would feel it there more, the itch. But what I require for myself, what's important to me for my sanity, is that down time.

You guys had comments about what it's like when you're in a situation where you're having to be in contact with others that I can definitely relate to. It's kinda hard for me when my SO's family comes to visit us for the weekend, because unlike my family, they're much less about the warning and preparing to go somewhere and maybe even be out for a long time, like "hey let's do this! Let's do that! Be ready in 10." And I'm like HUH? So I get Amy's thing where you can make yourself more extroverted to handle the situation, and enjoy it a bit more, but I too really need to know there's a bed and a tv and strictly the company of my SO at the most at the end of this lol
For me I guess it's more my distrust and disdain for my generation, after events of this year I really don't walk around with the same feeling of safety that I used to. I don't meet people like myself or my old friends very often. So it may be partially a choice for me but the anxiety and need for aloneness definitely is not, and after a while the introversion felt much more natural to me.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:47 pm 

trainer14 wrote:
Just chiming in. I am a huge introvert and would rather spend time at the house, in my bedroom or alone way more than going out and being social. I have always been that way. Honestly I hate social settings and admit I am socially awkward. Meeting new people in a large group is overwhelming to me sometimes and I barely say a peep. You would never guess that about me if you saw me instructing a training clasd at work but outside of work I avoid socializing. Just last night my neighbors had a bon fire and bbq and invited my husband and myself and I was like "nope nope nope". I LIKE being alone. I LIKE that I have no friends. Sounds sorry, but its true. I have always always always perferred to be alone. My conversational skills have always sucked and I even avoid talking on the phone and thats ok with me. I kid with my husband and say I don't want the responsibility of friends. Its to draining. When we have a gathering of family members at the house,like we did for my stepsons graduation, I hate it and cant wait to sneak away to my room to chill. I really dislike small talk and usually just sit there, laughing at the appropriate times, smiling when its called for, etc. I get this about myself and its quite all right with me!!! Lmao

I totally get where you're coming from, Trainer! It's exhausting and overwhelming to be in a large group, even if it's my extended family. I went to my granddaughter's 5th birthday on Saturday and all I could do was think about how nice it would be when I got back home! I'm constantly trying to figure out if I've stayed long enough at the gathering that it won't seem weird when I take off.

I also understand about the friend issue. It takes a lot of work to get a friendship going off the ground and I am not really motivated to make the effort.

It makes such a difference when I know that there are others who feel the same way I do! We should stand up and unite! (By holing up in our rooms and expressing it on a forum!)

Amy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:01 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

LMAO!!!!!

when I was in grade school my teacher labeled me "quiet, withdrawn and painfully shy". I didn't like playing with the other kids and wanted to draw instead during recess. I liked the quiet of the empty classroom during recess and enjoyed being alone with just the teacher who corrected papers while I drew. So even as far back as grade school I was like that.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:15 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Back at that time I was more extroverted but holy fuck how awesome was indoor recess??? We had this big box of Legos that would come out when it was too rainy to go outside for recess, I didn't have any so this is prob why I made guy friends who did lol

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:47 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

All_apologies13 wrote:
Back at that time I was more extroverted but holy fuck how awesome was indoor recess??? We had this big box of Legos that would come out when it was too rainy to go outside for recess, I didn't have any so this is prob why I made guy friends who did lol

LOL

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:19 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

weren't Legos the best? I remember listening from my my room, at mom cursing up a blue steak when she stepped on one, or sucked one up in the vacuum! Can't laugh too hard at that one though. I have four boys, and my bad Lego karma has paid my poor feet a visit or two.... Dammit, those things feel like they're made of broken glass, lol!

Btw, thoroughly enjoying the next two to three weeks my children are spending at their dad's house right now. The quiet,alone peaceful time has been a godsend really. I get off work around 2 everyday and the rest of the afternoon, after my normal chores, is spent walking, swimming laps,or lounging on my float catching a tan, just me,the pool and Bon Jovi (lol), then cook a little dinner for me and Steve,who usually comes in around nine pm lately. I've even...shhhh... Tell no one... napped! yup! I must admit, that although I can be out,about and sociable when I must, I truly treasure this time spent on my own recharging. It's just something I require, and perhaps was not as happy in my earlier years because I didn't have this time, and when I finally did, I blew it all chasing dope.. ugh! Oh well it's in the past now, right? Making up for it now though. feeling a pretty good balance of social interaction, and alone time happening here, and haven't felt this physically healthy in years! yea, I'm still working on some real issues, but introversion IS NOT a personality flaw! I'm learning to really like it about myself. Thanks for this thread Amy. It's really gotten me thinking about what it is I need to feel great without drugs, and then to do it without feeling guilty or odd! :)And like Amy, I can carry on when I have to, for work,and maybe even enjoy a good laugh or two, as long as I know this (space/air/time in my safe place, home) is coming.... I'm good!