It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: intervention: danielle
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:20 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

was just wondering if anyone else saw the intervention episode last night with danielle? shelwoy, i think you said that you watch too, right?

i could definitely relate to danielle's story. the sadness and empty-ness in her eyes, the black hole that had become her soul. i was pretty amazed at her transformation, she really looked like a totally different person. at the end her son says that he's glad to see her smile and he hopes to see it for the end of his days! out of the mouth of babes, eh?

but watching last night's episode left me feeling like we were missing a huge part of the story. they're completely skipping over the treatment part of it. what kind of treatment did she get? was it 12 steps, religious, holistic...?? i dunno, it just seems like there are so many people out there who watch the show who are dealing with the same issues in their own life, and while they likely aren't going to be offered the kind of gift that intervention gives, the show could at least address different methods of treatment. lotta people who can't afford a 90 day stay in a rehab!! i really want to know what made that transformation happen for danielle! did she get on some great anti-depressant? was it the therapy? did she get on suboxone? what was it?

anyone have any thoughts on the show?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:39 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I was someone who DID have the 90-day stint in residential treatment. I then had 6 years of aftercare. The 90 days cost almost 50 grand-- there went our vacation cottage! I am now med director of a 30 day residential center with some great programming (I went to the Herrington program at Rogers-- busy at recovery work from morning 'til night every day). Where I am, we keep opiate addicts six weeks, since they aren't much good at working the first couple weeks. We then do whatever we can to push them into a halfway house for another 90 days. You can pull a 90 day program off for less than 10 grand that way-- a lot of money, but not when you think of it as saving your life.

BUT... be careful about watching shows like intervention-- they frequently show the person afterward where the contrast from before treatment is remarkable... and the person looks so good that you are tempted to think that she will do well. But that is just not the case-- sadly. That expensive, awesome program I was in saved my life and the lives of others there with me-- but most of the people who were there with me are using again, including the ones who looked incredibly powerful and healthy at graduation from treatment. For young opiate addicts-- say in their 20's-- the one-year sobriety rate after residential treatment is around 20%-- and that is for the people who stay the full time! Many people leave before the 90 days convinced they are 'better', and almost none of them are clean at one year. But even more scary... when you go out five years, the number of young people who remain clean after residential treatment for opiate dependence drops to single digits. THIS FACT is why I make no apologies for prescribing Suboxone. At this point there is no other choice. That is so hard for people to accept, but I see it every day, and it is just how it is. Therapy, love, insight.. they don't cure addiction. They should-- but they don't.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:20 pm 

....the more things change , the more they stay the same....sadly.

But there is hope.....

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:42 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Yeah personally, I just feel bad for anyone who gets roped into treatment with dr. Drew...

Can someone tell me which network intervention is on and when it airs? I have comcast almost full service cable, and yet I can't freaking find it!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:33 pm 

Honsesty I pulled this old thread up to show dr Junigs post. It says alot..
However, LMN does show reruns of Intervention on tuesdays starting at 8pm..
Dr Drew?,..he is T V..HOLLYWOOD..thats all I have to say about him...

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 2:46 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

That's the one thing that really bothers me about the show, their recovery only constitutes the last 2 minutes in their hour long episode.

We recovering addicts watch it for completely different reasons than the suburban viewers who just want to gawk at heroin addicts that live a life that's so different from theirs, which is a majority of their viewers.

There was a similar show called Addicted and it spent more time on their recovery. Though it only ran for 2 seasons, but it is on Netflix. I recommend the episode "Annie & Mike".

My sisters best friend has an episode of Intervention, which happened to be one of the more crazier episodes. It was surreal seeing someone you know completely self destructing on TV in front of millions of viewers.

I'll check out the Danielle episode.