It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:26 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I had no idea where to put this, so if it has to be moved, that's fine. But do you think internet friendships although anonymous work. I've been trashed, torn apart fro a community that I really thought was like my family. It was my fault I was in sensitive to someone, which was wrong, but it does this happen here? I was even told this person could be dead because of me. It's bad enough that I'm ridden with guilt, but I will not accept that at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:37 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I would have to say, as with any other relationship, that it depends on that unique friendship. I've met some great people online who I consider close friends. Other friendships I've had have come and gone. It just depends. As for someone telling you that someone could be dead because of you, well, that's just cruel, not to mention wrong. Unless you handed someone a gun and told them to kill themselves or you killed them yourself, it's NOT YOUR FAULT. I know it's easy to say, but try not to let it eat at you. Obviously I don't know the specifics, but I wouldn't consider someone who said this to you a "friend". But sometimes we don't learn that until it hurts like hell.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:55 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Internet community and internet friendship are both new to me but so far I've found the community on this forum to be really great and I have carried one friendship that started on the forum farther than posts and forum messages. So far so good. I'm sorry to hear about what happened in your other community. Of course I don't know the details but it doesn't sound like something that would happen here. I have the feeling that this forum is kind of special but...if there is one good internet community there are bound to be others. and I know that these days lots of people do meet people and make friends online. I've always been wary of it myself, but feel somewhat more open to it now that I've had such a good experience here on this forum. But...I agree with Hatmaker--it just depends on the individuals involved and other circumstances. Also, i think all communities and all individuals have their good sides and their bad sides, and good points and drawbacks and good days and bad days. I also agree with Hatmaker, other than in some really extreme circumstances, I don't see how you could be responsible for someone's death. I'm not sure I could ever hold someone responsible for someone else's death based on something they said on some kind of internet forum. I don't know the details, like I said, but, again, I'm sorry you had such a bad experience.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:35 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I think it has to do with the people in the friend ship in my eyes. But at the end of the day I say yes you can have a friendship on the internet. There are many people on this forum that I fell comfortable asking a personal question and know ill get an honest response with their best interest at hand. And in my eyes anyone who cares and shows support to you as a person is some ways can be called a friend. Maybe I’m wrong but maybe I’m right and I know I’ve def made friends on the internet that if I was in there town we would hang out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:11 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I believe meeting people on line is the same as in person other than being able to look at their face and eyes to see if they seem genuine.As for blaming yourself for somebody hurting their self don't let anyone pull that one. No one can make another person do anything. Its kind of you to be worried about it so you must be a good person

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:22 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Works better for me than real life unfortunately.I've had internet friends since 2003.Less than five that I speak to on a monthly/weekly basis but there is one or two that I speak to on a quasi daily basis.Real life friends help me get into trouble lol!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:57 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

DARKEYES wrote:
It was my fault I was in sensitive to someone, which was wrong, but it does this happen here? I was even told this person could be dead because of me.

So you said something to hurt someone's feelings?

In rehabs they have this saying "Nobody can make you feel anything". So it was their choice to feel that way. If you said the same shit to someone else, it could easily just be water off a duck's back.

Some people just think they get payoffs for holding onto other people's words - ie if someone kicks up a fuss because another person has told them how they really feel - they then get sympathy from others when they have a cry.

And if a person has chosen to harm themselves, that is their choice. The guy who kills themself to hurt their ex who just dumped him. That's his choice.

SELF RESPONSIBILITY, dammit!

Post subject: Cyber Friendships
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:13 pm 

I have a couple of friends online but nothing really close. It's probably because you can't actually see them and have heart to heart conversation. People bond by talking, looking into others eyes, a slight touch on the arm to make a point, etc. You get the idea.

An old cyber friend of mine happens to be female, and yes, I am a happily married man so that does keep it at a distance. She is a drug addict from another forum and she hasn't returned my e-mail for several months. She too is on Sub and is also the one who told me about it. I am concerned about her because she admitted to me that she will take a months worth of Percs (5mg) in a couple of days time. (haven't we all?) My worry is that she overdosed and died. We have been online friends for about 3-4 years. Today I talked about it with my wife and have decided to call her (which I've never done) and find out what happened. So yes, I guess people can form caring relationships with online friends even though we've never met face to face.

Jezzz, now that I'm talking about it, it has me very concerned. Stay tuned.

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:51 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Internet friendships can work and they do work. But like any friendship, both parties will only get out of it what they put into it. I have made some very, very good friends on the internet. In fact, as many of you know I am a musician and I am currently in the process of putting the finishing touches on an album.

I met the person who is co-producing the album with me (and who also wrote all of the lyrics) online. I also met just about every one of the musicians in the "band" online. In fact, even though we are putting out an album of music, no two of us have ever stepped foot into the same room together to do any recording.

So, the bottom line, from my perspective, is YES, internet friendships are real and they can work.